Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SotA is unrewarding in its current state...

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by DarkEvilHatred, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkEvilHatred

DarkEvilHatred Avatar

I just pledged and started playing about 3 days ago. I have played a lot these past 3 days.

I do realize the game is still in an unfinished state and that is why I am writing this post.

The first problem is loot. Whether I kill a small crocodile or a large crocodile, I end up with the same thing right now. The larger one should give more loot, even if I get the same thing(s) off both. If the small gives me one animal hide, the large should give me 2 or 3. I use crocodile in this example but feel free to replace croc with wolf/bear/spider/etc.

Also, the loot I am getting off of most creatures is pitiful. Either the vendors need to pay more for the stuff or I should be getting more valuable stuff off of them. Currently, I feel I could sit in town and kill sheep and earn more by butchering them than I can from going out and risking my life hunting. The risk vs. reward for hunting plain sucks. I don't want to hunt for 3 days straight just to be able to afford to make my first set of armor! Which brings me to my second complaint. Crafting.

Crafting should not end up costing more to make an item than the item ends up being worth! The way crafting is right now, I have to spend 2 to 4 times the value of the end product just to make something, especially with cooking. Crafting should feel rewarding and be rewarding. We should end up with a product that has more value than the sums of what it took to create. Why do I want to even go to the trouble of gathering up all those materials to end up with something worth less in the end?! It makes no sense and it is not fun or rewarding!

I play the game to have fun and I am not having much fun with the loot and crafting the way it currently is. Please make hunting and crafting more rewarding!

Kaisa, Chatele, Razimus and 9 others like this.
  2. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Well they don't want to add an classic loot system.

But a bit more variation and some rare surprises here and there, even from trash mobs would definetly help.
    So far, the loot is way too generic and boring after you have killed 1000 mobs.

Ofc. loot shouldn't give you the "super loot", i am not asking for that, i just wish for a bit more variation and surprises.

Also, most chests/crates/book shelfes and what not are just empty.
    It would be also nice if you find something within the crates you can destroy.

Calusari, Chatele, Razimus and 4 others like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Both loot and craft systems are still the work in progress. Things you mention are still just placeholders. They will add variation and fine-tuning it later releases. This is based on the Q2 2016 thread.

4. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

2 things I do remember about loot is :

Crates will have things in them.
    You will sometimes find some player made loot on a mob ex : My blacksmith find the way to make a super sword that have +2 str +2 dex 10% weapon damage and 20% weapon speed. (Fiction btw) well since I have discovered that unique kind of sword recipe and sell it for 20 billions gold on my vendor but, since the recipe has been discovered by me and now exist in Novia, you now have a rare chance to find a sword just like that on an elf patrol.

Just give them time. It will get better soon

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Another reason you don't make a lot selling to vendors is because the game is meant to have a player driven economy. It's intended to foster trade between players rather than relying on NPC prices.

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~No Class Combat & No Class Crafting~
    As we've seen within our combat design, SOTA can be played as a mage or fighter or a whatever, yet for best results, SOTA's challenges draw we players deeper into classlessness, unless the player then seeks out those needed supporting character skills.
    That's the same with crafting as well, yet the customer isn't the monster, and it may not be an NPC unless you're only interested in making golden pennies instead of gold pieces. It's actual people that our SOTA wants the player to reach out to. But for best gains in everything, a player must become almost all things, whether that be in crafting or in combat.

We would be lucky to see any gold drops from some monsters at all if realism took hold, yet that's not the case in SOTA. In our game we have a finite number of gold to be had. .. meaning that almost literally everything recycles here in our game without many exceptions. This concept in recycling has been talked about ever since before even our SOTA world first began. SOTA in this light, is not much of a wealth hording focused game.

And @SeleneNoctua is right, "our game is said to be planned as a player based economy"...

SOTA in every regard is a classless profession game, unless you are searching for friend that fill in your character's gaps...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Once it's at the point where players can only obtain gold from either killing mobs or trade with other players, I'll be interested to see how much impact it would have with housing lot taxes.

Chatele, 4EverLost, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  8. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Welcome to SOTA,

In an attempt to keep the line of information open to our newer members I wanted to let you know that first off as it has been stated this is temporary. Second the loot may look the same but actually there is a benefit from killing and skinning a large animal vs a normal one. There are "rare" materials to make higher leveled gear; such materials are Suet, Tin, Sooty Bark, ect. When you kill and skin/harvest higher level mobs/nodes then the chance of obtaining these materials are higher.

That being said I completely agree. Trying to initially buy your starter skills can feel painful since coin drops are low and if you don't do quests to get that starting cash then you will end up farming low level undead/bandits well into level 30 and selling all the weapon drops. I don't really think the system feels very good, but we will have to hang tight and see what the dev's go with down the road.

~Woden

9. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

@DarkEvilHatred

Loots is placeholderish right now - but there are decent things to kill to make money you just need to know what/how
    Like skeletons are a good thing to kill to make some early money. they drop - 10-30gold/ecoplasim(30g)/corpse wax(5)/rusty swords(15-40). So if you seel all that off you can get around 100g a kill which isn't too bad. tip: (find a place that has a lot of "knight" skeletons with the shields, one more item to sell)

Also like mentioned random loot will be able to be found as well. Apparently down the line if a monster kills you, itll be like PvP and you will have to go get your stuff from your tombstone, and the monster may have looted some, so youll have to kill it to get it back. If you don't someone else may come along a kill it and get that stuff.
    Or if you seel a lot of swords to a npc vendor(they also sell to npc's/bandits) someone might kill a bandit and get a sword of yours that you sold.

Differnet things like that, but its all down the road.

But right now, the best thing to do is link up with a community/friends and trade/farm/gather together and support each other.
    A lot of good guilds out there.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

If you want to make like 1,000 gold every time you "adventure" avoid the animals and go straight for humanoid or the undead. Sell the weapons they have! I can net around 1,000 gold every time I go out to Highvale. It's not a lot but I think it's more than I get for killing sheep or wolves or bears or crocs or whatever

NPCs right now only sell basic items to start new players off. If you want more advanced items, you need to go to players.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I play the game to have fun and I am not having much fun with the loot and crafting the way it currently is. Please make hunting and crafting more rewarding![/QUOTE]

Agreed it’s been this way since I joined.... interesting when I first pledged I really had quite a bit of fun, but I think it was because I was very open minded that game was still in development (and it still is) and that things would improve etc. etc. The one thing I didn’t do is read through all the old feedback posts so I had no expectations when going in. But as I went through a few releases I noticed at least for me my experience wasn’t changing, the updates weren’t that great, and once you experience the world for what it is there is 0 to keep you coming. Once that new wears off its def a bland game in development. Don’t worry though, despite the blandness of the game play there are plenty carrots on a stick. One thing I can say though is the community is awesome!!!

Funny thing is after I became dis enchanted (but still haven’t given up) I started reading the older posts. And a lot of my feedback or feelings of the game have been echoed by other players for YEARS in some cases. So that kind of tells me much hasn’t changed on that front. Then we get the consumer confidence boosting final wipe and land grab announcement that is icing on the cake!

Played this release, and now it’s looking like I wont log back in until the next release. Same blandness with annoying targeting system.

Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Even as it is now, I don't think earning the amount of coin you need primarily from hunting is too hard once you know the best places to do it. The travel time from towns to some hunting spots is pretty significant relative to how long it takes to become encumbered with heavy weapon drops though.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yep, Greymark Forest is also good for this too once you level up - Elves tend to have stuff with good resale value. You're really only limited by carrying capacity...

Greymark Forest to the Owl's Head blacksmith is fairly good for this. I usually try to unlock Heavy Lifter as soon as possible, can usually keep fighting elves up until about 50% encumbrance as long as I can avoid taking on two archers at once.

Time Lord and Lazlo like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

That is an interesting observation for those of us also concerned about escalating lot tax payments. Has anyone tried this? Do the sheep respawn fast enough? Poor sheep....:)

Tend to agree with the rewards part for the early game. I leave it to the high level dungeon delvers to tell us what happens there. Cool ready-use loot? Or just better stuff for higher tiered crafting?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not virtuous to kill the townsfolks' sheep.

Hornpipe, Micron and Time Lord like this.
  16. DarkEvilHatred

DarkEvilHatred Avatar

What worries me most is the fact that I may not have enough money to spend currently to buy my way to a lot with a house so my next thought is saving up gold to buy from a vendor, then I think of how long it takes me to save up 1k gold and how much the cheapest houses are. Looks like all the lots will be taken up LONG before I can solely save up to buy one! Very depressing. :(

Hopefully I can make a friend with plenty of houses that may share one with me but I'd of course prefer to be self reliant and own one myself.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Wizards Rest (POT)~
    Just above Owls Head usually has many village lots to choose from. Other POTs I'm sure do as well, you just need to look around when you're ready. Village lots in POTs are the most common.
    ~Vendors~
    Currently the most popular venders are those that are public vendors because they're so well shopped with allot of foot traffic from other merchants as well as passing adventurers.
    I hope that helps @DarkEvilHatred ;)

I saw you at the fights... :cool: Did you get a piece of Lord British today? :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

That is one thing I hated about some games I played and QUIT. I can tolerate ALMOST anything, but NOT that. That is 1 reason I don't PVP here. If I am not pvp'ing, and if i get killed by a mob, I don't want it to loot me, nor do I like the idea of having to run back, and Hope I find my tombstone or body b4 it gets looted or if i resurrect and run back to my body and get killed again trying to get to my body ... and not have a weapon to kill it, because it got looted, or my armor because of the same reason.... NO TY!!!!! SO NOT FUN!!!! Leave that to PVP only....

Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  19. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

I think the developers seemed like they really wanted to go through with this at some point in time, and if that's their desire I would love to see what they come up with.

My question to you is what your opinion would be if they implemented this type of functionality on specific mob types (say thiefs) instead of default behavior of all mobs. Likewise what would your opinion be on this if it happened only in specific zones or dungeons where you knew before entering it was a risk and you could bring extra equipment in case. Obviously these would not be required zones but offer more of a "higher risk, higher reward" zone for elitists and masochists alike. Would you still have such strong feelings towards the implementation of such a mechanic?

~Woden

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I'm all for more high level PvE content. An easy solution might be to place a banker by the scene entrance.

Time Lord and Chatele like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.