1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotA Limited Edition Art Print!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Apr 10, 2014.

?

Which image would you like as a limited edition art print?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2014.
  1. Option 1: The Forest of Ardor

24.3%
  2. Option 2: The Smuggler's Cove

7.5%
  3. Option 3: The Obsidian Ruins

9.8%
  4. Option 4: The Song of Daedelus

44.5%
  5. Option 5: The Pillars of Night

13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

#4 for me and if it gets voted, please put my name down!:)

2. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

Like them all, voted on number one. Thats the one my wife probably would allow me to hang on the wall ;)

3. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Wish we didn't have to choose just one. I voted for number 1, but would be nice if all were available.

4. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

The Song of Daedelus, HANDS DOWN!

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I like The Smuggler's Cove the best, least votes so far, Option 2 give it another look, and it isn't generic it's a place in the game no doubt.

6. smack

smack Avatar

Careful what you ask for, right? Well, we asked for it and now I can't decide. Seriously, I want all of them!!!

My inclination would be to go for The Song of Daedelus as well, but looking back to when SotA was first announced and the concept art was getting revealed...I was wondering which one really got to me and evoked the strongest reaction. That would be The Obsidian Ruins.

Option 1 - The Forest of Ardor
    Ah the grandeur of the scene and how small you are in a lush forest with mysterious ruins just ahead, bathed in sunlight. I imagined myself as the one the bridge and wanted to just go there and explore! Despite the peaceful beauty of that scene, I wanted to know why the trees were twisted and mangled and broken. Absolutely gorgeous, but it also had me thinking LotR for whatever reason.

Option 2 - The Smuggler's Cove
    An adventurous band of explorers, who dare cross these shallow waters to face the evil that awaits them at the mouth of that mountain. The lush greenery and calm waters in the light of dusk pierced by the burning fires just ahead. Oh how I wanted to be one of those adventurers. This was my second choice.

Option 3 - The Obsidian Ruins
    The action shot, with its shift in perspective and angles, completely muted colors save for the burning lava that really pops against the lifeless scenery of stone and rock. The ruins of a beautiful statue in ruin, yet beckons evil with its horns and wings. This one evoked the strongest reaction and I really wanted to learn more about this world. Why was it in ruin, who are these statues, who used to live here, what happened here? My top pick.

Option 4 - The Song of Daedelus
    The calm night interrupted by an obsidian shard falling from the broken moon. Definitely the most identifying image since the broken moon is now iconic imagery for SotA, having been used in the art assets for the game, as well as keyboards by obsessive fans. An amazing piece of art and one I would gladly hang on my wall, but alas it wasn't my top pick. There is a sense of awe in the imagery but it didn't evoke the same feelings of wonderment and mystery and a driving need to explore into the scene. Perhaps because there are no adventurers in the image, so there was no "connection" for me to project myself into the world. Or perhaps the places that I can explore in that image aren't interesting as the only location is a house. The moon itself is the most interesting thing but it's unreachable. The falling shard beckons me to venture forth but it's too distant and appears to go out of frame vs falling in frame.

Option 5 - The Pillars of the Night
    Another great image of adventurers about to set forth beyond those massive gates, into danger or protection we do not know. The statues built into the walls are awesome and evoke mystery as you can't see who's underneath that robe. I want to know what's behind those gates and join that party! This one also reminded me of LotR but is still an amazing piece to have as well.

Ok, didn't realize I'd type out my stream of consciousness.... o_O

Asclepius, Arianna, Hazard and 8 others like this.
  7. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

Damn you guys... My biggest hobby aside from gaming is collecting concept art prints... and now i want them all ( crazy shipping costs or not :p )

also damn you for putting such beauty up for a choice...

and in the end i voted for #1

also can we indicate our interest in more work somewhere? like a check-box in our account?

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) and Maka like this.
  8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Great idea. Thought about voting Daedalus, then thought, "Nah, no one will vote for that besides me..."

After voting, I notice Daedalus is winning by miles. Too funny. Daedalus is great.

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) likes this.
  9. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I'm obsessed with the Obsidian Ruins (have it as my Windows desktop spanning two monitors). I keep staring at it, wanting to know more. Who is she? What happened there? There is just something delicious about it. Artist took inspiration from GoT/House Targaryen maybe?

As a consolation to us backers who loose the vote, would you consider making a super high res digital copy available so we can print ourselves?

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Personally, I'd rather see a "Consignment SotA Art Store" to bid and buy an original painting with some sort of shared SotA Profit when the bid offer is taken and filled. Many artwork prints that are said to be limited, are only limited until the price rises, giving rise to further copy and depending on how broke or greedy the artist is in their later life when their works have collectable value... There are no art police for such "limited editions"... o_O

I want the real thing...;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

11. Godra

Godra Avatar

I don't know crap about art, but I know what I like....THEM ALL!!! What a great idea!!!

12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

The Song of Daedelu, because the other drawings are more generic. But that exploding universe...

13. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

yes for a seperate store no to (unlimited bidding)

14. caravaggiosWolf (Dev)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) Developer Emeritus

15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Can we get a portrait of Rustic Dragon licking DarkStarr's head?

lemonkey, smack, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  16. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely looking forward to those portraits of LB and DarkStarr, Stephen :D Any chance we will see portraits of other characters (i.e., you, Fire Lotus, Rustic Dragon, etc.) as well? I certainly would be willing to pay for that :)

17. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Like the blacklight poster, I think portraits of the lickin' (though I vote for the epic Dallas lick from monday) should be hidden in the game as rares :cool:

NirAntae, Eriador, rild and 5 others like this.
  18. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Option 3 and 5 remind me of SotA the most. It was a tough decision, voting on just one, but in the end I just had to vote for #5.

19. Bayridge

Bayridge Avatar

Voted #1 for first, but if I could choose a second I would do #4. Maybe in future if sales are popular enough we can get top 2 voted choices vs just 1 :)

20. Mogdurok

Mogdurok Avatar

It seems like almost everyone (including myself) loves all of them. Can you either:

Make limited editions of the top 2-3 most voted artworks?
    or
    Make a limited quantity of "Collector's Sets" for people that want to spend a few hundred and buy the top 2-3 in a package deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.