1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotA Limited Edition Art Print!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Apr 10, 2014.

?

Which image would you like as a limited edition art print?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2014.
  1. Option 1: The Forest of Ardor

24.3%
  2. Option 2: The Smuggler's Cove

7.5%
  3. Option 3: The Obsidian Ruins

9.8%
  4. Option 4: The Song of Daedelus

44.5%
  5. Option 5: The Pillars of Night

13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

We haven't seen pricing yet, and someone can like the art without committing to buy it. I assume they'll see how many they sell and if it is worth producing other prints later.

That being said, all of these options and more will be available for tapestries and framed art in game.

2. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I hope they produce more than one style. The can have them printed on the fly- they don't need to order a stack of them and hope they sell.

3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I'm actually not sure why they are only considering 1. There are places that will print giclees on demand. If they are to be signed, instead of shipping directly to the customer they can ship to themselves first, it will just cost a few dollars more in shipping... or they can take preorders and do them in batches. There's really no need to order a set number of any style and then try to sell them afterwards... unless I'm missing something here :confused:

4. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Me neither...but if I may make a suggestion: if "one" is immutable it may be worth considering a set of smaller prints (I wouldn't expect these signed or numbered) for those that can't pick just one? Say maybe 5X8" or something (you kids and your non-metric systems.) Unit run cost would be less.

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) likes this.
  5. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

I really would not have minded which one won, I like them all. But it just so happens my favourite is out in front anyway :)

6. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Love #4. As soon as I see that shattered moon, I know I'm looking at something from SotA.

All of them are fantastic though!

7. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Dame Lori the comment about shipping to Portalarium, Zazzle has a program where regular shipping to one address costs $9.99 for an entire year no matter how many items are purchased or when they are purchased during that year period. That is a super cost savings when thinking about having to sign items then send them to someone else in the case of signed editions.

8. Ember

Ember Avatar

Too tough to choose just one, but my nature loving heart had to choose #1 The Forest of Ardor. My top picks are defined by the amount of depth present in each piece. :]

My picks in this order:
    1. 1 (Forest)
    2. 3 (Lava Ruins)
    3. 2 (Smugglers Cove)
    4. 5 (Gates)
    5. 4 (Daedelus).

9. stile

stile Avatar

The Song of Daedelus by far, just because it is a significantly different style that has a more painting feel to it. It would look better as a framed piece of art hanging in ones home in general.

I agree and Disagree with Time Lord. I disagree in that I think a print would be the way to go as it gives more people an opportunity to get something and overall it will make more money then selling an original would. I Agree in that I WOULD love to own an original piece but I have a note on that at the bottom of this... There have often times in my life though Ive met an artist selling prints for 50.00, and ill say "I won't pay 50.00 for your print, but Ill give you 500.00 for the original".

Few thoughts. Definitely would have to be limited edition. I typically will rarely ever buy anything that is not, as your paying a lot of money for essential what is just a photo copy. In short - If its not a limited print.. I wouldn't order one.

Include a small piece of paper with it, certifying it! Why? It makes it easy to have scheduled into a persons home owners or renters insurance! I can take that, scan it, email it to my agent with a copy of the receipt for what I paid for it.. and im done.

Signed PLEASE. The option to have it signed by the entire team would be awesome! Something to put on my wall that the whole team has signed off on - Just for myself. Something years from now I can look at and say "I was involved in this, I knew all these people, I had conversations with them, and they created this". I think doing a print like this would be fantastic for this! It also makes it more likely id pay 50-150 for a print. I have prints I would NOT have bought if they had not been signed.

I like the idea of doing the larger print like your thinking for the chosen piece. Then doing a small run for the others. 4x6's would be perfect! You could offer the smaller "runner-ups" very cheaply. So it gives those on EXTREMELY tight budgets an alternative (Ive lived on minimum wage, and things like that can be important when your living like that). Also I know I would like it as I'm definitely on a tighter budget these days and while I could spring for one larger print, that would be stretching it.. An opportunity to get some smaller pieces at low costs would be fantastic. Finally - Wall space! I've been running out of it for a long time.. I'm sure other people don't have unlimited amounts :)

Suggestion: Some people have mentioned getting in game pieces (and I AM familiar with that other thread). Add to the appeal of the print a bit.. If you buy one and you get # 147 of 500. You ALSO get one in game that says #147 of 500. You already have them in game as per the other thread (or plan on it I think). I don't believe it would take much to drop a text # on the bottom corner and assign it to a particular account (I could be wrong).

Side note, but related - regarding original:
    I dropped a note to Portalarium on this thought 6+ months ago. Stephen, Ive seen you do a lot of concept pieces free-hand on paper on hang-outs. Granted a lot of those are just rough drafts and the like. A lot of them are still good though and in a way they are historical. Im guessing your not the only art guy that sometimes might pull out paper for stuff like that :) - take those, put your signature on it, and drop them into the store for a hundred bucks each or so. Why a low price? Well, they aren't highly detailed pieces of art, they are just usually sketches, or some semi-quickly done concept pieces - and there's probably a lot of them put out. It makes it semi-affordable that most people that would want one, could grab one and have an "original signed" piece of "concept creation art" from the game. Its pure profit also as your doing them anyway. If you guys toss that stuff out.. please don't ever tell me :)

Another side note:
    Have any more of those Ultimate Collector Posters stacked in a box somewhere? Not very many people would be interested, but Id personally love to buy one since I helped test it. Wasn't my type of game, was just helping out the company, etc. (even though I think I was the 4th or 5th highest ranked score).. But I have nothing physical from that. Id love a piece of UC swag to put on my wall if you guys have any laying around in the offices! While not many would, a few might.. and you can make a few bucks off something that's really.. not worth anything beyond Nostalgia *winks*. Get it in the store cheap!

10. _Hex_

_Hex_ Avatar

(a limit to the number of prints created from the image increasing their value, 500?)

An edition size of 500 seems kind of high for one particular print IMHO.... Considering just 200 people took the time to even vote between 6 different ones so far. Love the art though! :)

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

There doesn't seem to be much smuggling going on in that Cove.

Maybe praying to the dark gods, but not smuggling.

12. caravaggiosWolf (Dev)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) Developer Emeritus

Sir Stile Teckel makes some excellent points! Thank you! :) However, we are not talking about a photocopy we are talking about getting an image printed, 4 color offset on archival paper. Yes, we have been discussing what to do with the original art that I have drawn on PotA since last year. We are discussing options but are not revealing it to the community yet.

Mythical also has a point; currently there is not enough interest in a limited edition art print to justify the cost of printing one. A run of 200 would be better but you get the cost break at 500 and 1000.

If this is something you are truly interested spread the word! We have 2 weeks to go!

Best,

Stephen

NRaas, mitchellhamilton, rild and 6 others like this.
  13. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Very interested in a print numbered and signed by the artist as in the example - without the typed title and web address at the bottom. I hope this happens.

14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'd agree. With only 30,000-something backers, to have 500 prints made is like 1 in 60 backers buying one, which might seem high to some, but I think the reality would be even higher.

rild and caravaggiosWolf (Dev) like this.
  15. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

It also depends on how many people don't vote, or just don't come to the forums at all. There might be more than 500 people that would be willing to buy one, but different circumstances don't show that. They might just be people that it would attract in an update about the prints. Maybe they buy the ad-ons after an update that talks about it, but avoid the forums. This could lead to them buying the print if an update mentions it, but they still never come to the forums. It is also possible that prints can still be sold after launch.

That being said, I want one. I want more than one. I want one of each!

Edit: Added stuff.

16. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I agree with Stile when he says "There have often times in my life though Ive met an artist selling prints for 50.00, and ill say "I won't pay 50.00 for your print, but Ill give you 500.00 for the original"." I've done this before. I rarely buy prints, and even more rare would I buy a print if the original is actually within my grasp. Digital works sadden me for this reason... there is no such thing as an original, even if only 1 print was made. I only buy prints if it is exceptionally striking and/or from certain individuals. You would be one of them :p

But I would be much more interested in a very limited run... and those original early hand sketches would actually interest me MUCH more than the concept prints.

17. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Fire up a Kickstarter to get this going! Post an update on the SotA KS to point folks over that way.

Doesn't have to be a complicated KS, etc.

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

So basically, we want something you have touched Stephen :D

19. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Well, I know I'll be buy a couple prints when they are available.

But yeah, things like making it a separate kick start project would be good. Would be a nice way to drive additional funding, as well as a source of promotion for SotA.

20. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

LOL. It sounds creepy, but that is my feeling towards all artists. I like the artist's unique hand in the work that I buy. It makes artwork more than just something pretty to hang on the wall. I feel that gets lost in this digital age. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.