1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotA Limited Edition Art Print!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Apr 10, 2014.

?

Which image would you like as a limited edition art print?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2014.
  1. Option 1: The Forest of Ardor

24.3%
  2. Option 2: The Smuggler's Cove

7.5%
  3. Option 3: The Obsidian Ruins

9.8%
  4. Option 4: The Song of Daedelus

44.5%
  5. Option 5: The Pillars of Night

13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I have posted a link to this thread in the IRC chat topic; hopefully it will generate a bit of interest. :) Looking forward to seeing the results.

2. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I have a little painting that was a birthday gift several years ago - it was painted by the talented niece of a friend of mine, and was commissioned specifically for me. It's only small, and for all I know the artist made several copies before handing it over, but it's very special to me not only because I have the original but because I know it was painted just for me. :) (I have the original of a pencil drawing a friend made of one of my DDO characters, too, which also has a special place in my heart.)

Unfortunately buying a print is the only way I can normally afford art, so that makes these gifts even more valuable in my eyes! I'm happy to see that SotA is considering this option, and will happily buy a print if I can.

3. stile

stile Avatar

Agreed!!!!

And no offense meant at the use of photocopy Stephen! It was meant very loosely in terms of, i have a hard time paying large dollar amounts for something that is truly not the original, unless some extra things are occurring (limited, numbered, signed, etc). Bad use of the term on my part!

It has to be an artist i really admire, work i love, have special meaning, and a signature helps.

I wouldn't discount this project though!!!! I want to buy one! :)

Sadly i think it would be hung on my ceiling.. But i think thats where a lot of SotA related stuff is going to go... Best solution im coming up with on dwindling wall space...

200 votes.., out of how many people even use these forums though?? I think thats a good turn-out!!

Get this out on an update, so that the whole community can chime in and i bet the numbers are big enough!!!

Run 500. You might sell 100-200 now, but in 6 months the rest would move FAST.

Message me with the cost and ill consider paying for it and taking the risk in return for print #1 and 20% of the net :) (errr maybe.. *coughs.... If wife said ok...coughs* :)

A kickstarter is also an awesome idea!!!! No risk!

Dont just discard it please. Id really love to get something like this!

Like Lori says though, id love to also get a pencil sketch original by Stephen D. If that opportunity ever came around :)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) and Dhimmi like this.
  4. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

They can also sell these art prints at gaming convention.

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) and Saosis like this.
  5. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

Number 4 because it mixes the things that Lord British loves..Games and Space...

6. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

+1

also dont underestimate the willingness of collectors to buy originals :D ( at serious costs)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) likes this.
  7. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I like #3, and tie in with the novel. To be option 4 is more what I'd like to see available in game as decoration in my home. For my actual home, I vote #3 Obsidian Ruins.

8. Shield

Shield Avatar

Not sure if this has been suggested but to have an in game version of the print as a house decoration if you bought these prints would just be a wonderful addition.

9. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

My unadorned opinion:
    Love number 4 and number 1, both are must have for me.
    Number 2 is also nice but the fires inside the eyes of the skull should be removed for me to consider buying it. Just can't see someone climbing up there just to light those fires. And this ruins the picture for me, cause I will end up always just think about this, when I look at it. o_O
    Number 3 and 5 I pretty surely won't buy.
    Number 5 Is too Lord of the Rings for my taste.
    And number 3, for some reason I can't put my fingers on, is just not to my taste.

10. Kallendal

Kallendal Avatar

Yup, and even like the way the vote is trending.
    Be nice to have them all created...

11. Net

Net Avatar

Voted, but I would buy any of them and maybe all of them if I could. I do not follow this game as much as I should and I am afraid that I will miss this if it is too limited:-/

Magic. ;)

12. Zoradane

Zoradane Avatar

I like them all!:)

13. Montesquieu Paine

Montesquieu Paine Avatar

I'm voting for #1, The Forest of Ardor, as the artwork I most would want to acquire and display. (We've run out of wall space due to previous generations' dying and passing on family 'stuff'. It's been a busy year.) The intimations of Ozymandias in the fallen buildings in the background, the suggestion of inadvertent damming and the recuperative strength of nature -- and the companionship of the people who are visible, all speak strongly.

I share the problem about the 'fires in the eyes' (background pragmatics); were that a steady light with less differentiation, suggesting a magelight, that would diminish or disappear.

I agree that 'The Song of Daedalus' is the most evocative of SotA, but that it's deep blue tinges hamper any display without a strong and preferably apparently sourceless light (we have a dark house due to surrounding trees and orientation).

I also appreciate the challenge of adventure and civilization-depth of 'The Pillars of Night' -- just who opened the gates and why in the direction towards the viewer?

Fantastic artwork, all.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Forest of Ardor is awesome. More Forests ! More ancient ruins !

15. PeskyNeedler

PeskyNeedler Avatar

I'm all about #2! Although it is a bit of an underdog at this point...

16. Shird

Shird Avatar

Option 4: The Song of Daedelus is nice :)

17. Sundagger

Sundagger Avatar

Okay, firstly I like them all... However, I do believe that 500 is too few for a limited edition unless the intention is to service future capitalists (one only has to look at the Star Citizen Idris-M Corvette/Frigate... 100 were sold at £1000 each, but now trade at over 4 times that on grey market). A better number would be say 2000, giving everyone a chance to buy, or better still 500 of each (I.E. 2500 total). The team could alternately offer a semi-limited approach instead... with upto say 10000 available, but only on one special event/day/weekend. I like the idea of the team signing aswell as the artist, but on the border, bottom or back (artist on front as normal), no offence guys but I like to see pictures without writing on them :). Finally, how about an unlimited number of unsigned copies?

Net and caravaggiosWolf (Dev) like this.
  18. Marcx

Marcx Avatar

nice idea voted!!!!

first one is my favourite :D lot of green and the wood settings is awesome :D

19. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

I have one idea about this...
    Can't we also have the digital version of the painting so we can display it in-game?
    It would go as something like...

1 - The winner art (number 4, of course :)) - $X for the physical piece of art.
    2 - The winner art (number 4, of course ;)) - $X-Y for the only digital in-game piece of art.
    3 - The winner art (number 4, of course :p) - $X for the first N pieces of art both physical and digital.

My 2 cents...

thanks,
    Carlos Cruz

20. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

i like that idea except for the (only special X time) we have people from all over the world with different schedules and if you limit the timeframe server issues might ruin it for some people ( like what happened on the idriss/vaduul sale)

on a side note: can we please get some more love ( votes) for nr 1 ? it's the best :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.