SOTACON - Austin 2018 (Oct. 11 - 13, 2018)

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Duke Ezekiel Cooper, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

is there an sotacon event ingame ior those who couldnt attend?

2. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Went to King's Dinner with Scarlet and Laura, the people there were so sweet.

3. Rogosh of the Zog Cabal

Rogosh of the Zog Cabal Avatar

I had an absolute blast at SOTACON 2018! I will definitely be going again next year!!!!

4. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Could we get a reminder of the contact information for LB and Darkstar?

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  5. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I am home from SOTACON and here is my report:

1. What a lot of people don't quite grasp (or don't care to grasp) is that Shroud of the Avatar isn't JUST a game. It isn't just a bunch of code and pixels there to entertain us for a while before we move on to the next shiny object. It is something people from a diverse, worldwide community are helping to shape and build. And because we, the players, have this incredible opportunity to literally go where no average gamer has gone before, that makes SOTACON more than a simple gaming event or series series of activities. The convention is not just a gathering of gamers, it is a family reunion.

2. Family. It is a word that can be as overused as "love". Still, I will stand by my view that when I am around the SOTA community, each one of them are my family. I can come as I am and be accepted. Some of you reading this may not need or want an extended family -or- care to get too involved with "strangers". I understand that. You just want a good game and want to go to a convention where you hang out and simply discuss the game mechanics, fixes, improvements or the like. I get it :) However, I think even the crustiest of souls would be hard pressed not to soften just a little around the people of the SOTA community. There are just too many smiles, too many hugs, too much joy and a whole lot of support not to find one person to relate to and be yourself with.

3. Support. That what SOTA people do. They support each other. I needed help getting on and off the bus. Alexander or Just Mike or @Sean Silverfoot or whoever was there to lend me a hand. I needed hugs and a shoulder to cry on. @Wind Silvermoon and @Obsidian Shade were there to hold me up. I could go on, but you get the point (I hope :p). I wouldn't have even gotten to SOTACON if not for people like @Duke Ezekiel Cooper, @Winfield and Blood0men helping me. So may others were there for me as well: @Lord Andernut, @Fruck, @Justyn04, @Astor Cerberus, @Lazarus Long all helping me get off the floor, get dusted off and get to Austin. Why would they do that? Because they care. If you ever see me get pissed off when trolls come to the forums to rag on how awful the community is - well it's because I know that's a lie. The community is wonderful and if you don't believe me, then you have to come next time and find out for yourself. :)

4. In conclusion, the players who ran SOTACON and all the Devs who attended, worked hard to make it a truly spectacular weekend! This doesn't mean that all the problems with the game have been miraculously solved now, but it does mean that as backers of the game - working hand-in-hand with the Devs, we can keep doing what we do with the absolute conviction that our contributions matter!

I would encourage all backers of SOTA not to be passively sitting back waiting for your feature to be "perfect"or you won't play, but to roll up your sleeves and get active! If you don't like aspects of the game, find a way to make intelligent suggestions. Look for solutions. Keep posting and don't get upset if YOUR fantastic idea doesn't get implemented immediately or ever. Just taking the time to be persistent matters! If you want to build the game - bug hunt! If you want to build community, do an event! If you have ideas on game mechanics or role-play, make a post or a movie. We have a lot to do folks. We can't all like each other or agree on everything, but at the very least, we can extend the hand of respect to each other and keep moving forward. Together. As a family.

@Brazen Spirituality and Fionwyn Wyldemane
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Personally I LOVE trolls. Especially when they drop a rib cage or even thick skin. Also makes for good XP. Now if only I could solo Torc, that would make my day ;-)

In all seriousness. Glad to hear it was a blast. Maybe someday I'll be able to join you fine folk!

Until then...

7. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Jim Murphy Does Exist
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.