1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotAMap Acquisition

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Or just position it inside of a HTML5 object and use the rotate function on that. Might be tricky to get the rotation correct, but could be done.

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

LOL

3. Murphy

Murphy Avatar

Just curious, The current version of the in game SotA Map the search function doesn' t exist. Will that be added or will the external version still be available. Allowing us to use the external for searching?

Numa and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

@DarkStarr, will the new map system bring us better game play to enjoy world exploring as suggested here? :)

To explore Novia and the Hidden Vale is such a great Part of the whole game! It should be more meaningful, equal what Kind of game mode we're playing...

LoneWerewolf likes this.
  5. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Yes and no. An Optional Minimap System was listed as part of SotA's 1.7M stretch goal which they reached. As for whether this Optional Minimap System was going to be the Inventory Maps they started with or an actual Minimap System like most other MMORPGs and solo RPGs use wasn't really stated. At least, not in the stretch goal details, but I assumed like many others probably did that this meant a natively developed Minimap System similar to what other games use but instead it turned into Jakub's 3rd party web based GPS mapping system, that I would rather have replaced with a natively developed one with a fog of war and the ability to make notes on it, but I don't believe this is going to happen anytime soon. Especially, since the devlopers bought SotAMap from Jakub.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And who could have forseen that our over-world map would need a map? Yikes that was a surprise ;). I am hoping for lots from them both. And what type of mouse-overs will we get. So far I have not seen an indication that items in Sota will give mouse-over descriptions.

I'm not even sure what this would entail. Like when fishing is updated and we get more fish can we hold our cursor over the fish and see it's stats like weight, type, lore etc. I'd like to be able to point at a barrel and have it say this is an ordinary barrel or this barrel looks suspicious. To me that would feel more alive but that could take tons of work to mark the objects in this game. For the map and towns on the overland map perhaps not as much. For example pointing at a town or scene gives a bit of information about that scene on the overworld map and perhaps on the Sota Map.

I'm not sure how it will all look but to me it will not look like such an empty canvas to see the world with some comments and lore about it but just some thoughts on it.

Edited because we have gotten many mouse overs. Of course more descriptives are needed all the time. That sounds like an opportunity for a thread lol ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Well Java script is usually pretty expandable so hopefully they don't have to.

8. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

I'm glad it doesn't - I personally don't like map rotation. IMO North should always stay north/up :)

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you rotate it, will you rotate it based on the facing of your Avatar, or the Camera?

Personally, if rotation is significant effort, I'm perfectly happy with the static "North at the top" current orientation.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Onyx, Numa and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'd be happy if the character arrow pointed in the correct direction for all the maps.

11. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I like north is north too. And yet, bonus points to all the many games that have a toggle to let the map rotate or not.

Jakub White, Bodhbh Dearg and FrostII like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Trickier than getting the silly red arrow to point in the correct direction all the time?

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

My guess is that is due to how the maps are rotated now to create different templates and to set which edge of the map is "North". I have no idea how that is being handled, so hard to tell how hard it will be to fix.

14. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Noooooo! First they automate my primary job, and now my secondary! If they keep this up, I may have to sell my account!.... :p

15. Arjac

Arjac Avatar

I finally got a tax free lot on the moon, with golden castle, golden trees, a golden telescope and.....

Oh... Wait!

Where is my private "Moongate"? How am I going to get out of here? @DarkStaaaaaaarr !!!!!

[​IMG]

Luckily I was able to do some satellite photos: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/satellite-map.103295/

Cheers

16. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

rofl - I had a good laugh

thanks for sharing

Jakub White likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Is there a way to specify a search parameter in map URL so that it'll zoom in on that feature?

18. Lained

Lained Avatar

You can add a custom marker and use the share link, or if it's an existing lot (marker) share that directly.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I want to link to the map and have it show a selected town from the world view. As if I typed in the towns name in the search box.

[edit] Never mind. there's a "share" link on the town popup. :oops:

Jakub White and Lained like this.
  20. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

@DarkStarr will you support/continuing the SotA Navigator App from Jakub or plan a similar functionality for using SotAMap in the Webbrowser on a second screen? I am using this tool to save space on the game screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.