SotA's difficulty rating

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Gix, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

1. At what adventure level do the devs expect the players to be in order to successfully go through Malice?
    2. What are the requirements for an enemy to be labeled green, yellow or orange?
    3. Why are some "yellow" enemies super easy to deal with (even when they mob me), while others are nearly impossible to kill one-on-one?
    4. Why are bandits in some 5-skull areas easier than bandits in 4-skull areas?
    Every time I try to explore other areas instead of grinding at the same place over and over, I'm always thrown off by the game's difficulty rating. It's driving me insane.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

As far as I can tell, the color of a mob affects your chance to hit it, not necessarily your chance to defeat it.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yes I think all that effects a mobs color is your adventure level vs the mobs level. Which like you said also effects chance to hit.

I'm guessing, but I think green means you are a level higher than that mob. Yellow means your in the range of equal or maybe 5-10 levels lower than the mob. And red means your 10+ levels lower, or something along those lines. I doubt those numbers are right, but that is my best guess.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

If this is true, that's an insane gap!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Like I said, I was totally guessing. What do you think it is, or it should be? I'm not really sure, just tried to throw out some numbers to see if maybe someone else has a better understanding on it and more accurate numbers.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Gix like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Adv level (green yellow orange red) only affects hit chance, and isnt a direct indicator of how hard the mob hits you, jsu thow often it will hit you.

Example: Elementals generally do not hit very hard for thier level, while a Flesh flayer is a low adv level creature that can hit peopel for 100 damage

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Gix like this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

I don't know. I had the impression that "yellow" meant that they were roughly equal to my character's strength. You know, like: Green (easy), Yellow (normal), Orange (hard), Red (insane).

But, in practice, I feel like it's more like: Green (too easy), Yellow (russian roulette), Orange (insane), Red (impossible).

I can't guess at any numbers because I don't see any rhyme or reason to the difficulty on some of the encounters... even when it's the same enemy type.

That means a Flesh flayer (although low adv level), can take a third of a low level player's health... if not more on the account that it hits... that's insanely random, don't you think?

Elementals are a good example of a type of "Yellow" enemy that I can BARELY kill one-on-one.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Considering they only exist in PvP areas and the rise im not too worried bout it. Im around lvl 80 runnin around with the same health as a lvl 30-40 person which you could argue is exactly as random. By having hit chance tied to monster levels you can make low level monsters retain soem level of threat for higher end players and make high end monster not entirely unbeatable for low level players, while still having it get very noticably easier as you level up.

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Green means your XP drops really fast when you fight it. :(
    Yellow means your XP drops not as fast, but you may die which drops your XP a lot. :(
    Red means you can't kill it, and when you die, your XP drops a lot. :(

Purple means it has no effect on XP, because we don't have an XP or decay systems in SOTA. Still hoping to find the color purple.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Gregg247, Kara Brae, Womby and 2 others like this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think colour is an indication of relative adventure level, but it doesn't necessarily indicate a good match. Keep in mind that the skills you have chosen to develop may not be particularly useful against a particular enemy. For example if your adventure level is a result of how far you have levelled up blades, and you are fighting ranged enemies, you may not fare well.

11. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

The guy who did the walkthrough video said he was at least level 70. The task in my journal says it should be very easy for me since I am in the upper 70's range. He used a ranged weapon which helps with the kind of enemies that are in that scene.

licemeat likes this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I like your sex jokes better :D

Budner likes this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

@discipleofweb That's good information, thanks!

For sure... except some enemies seem to be stronger/weaker even if they share the same type and "colour"; just that they're found in different locations/scenes/maps. @Adam Crow suggests that there might be a 5-10 level gap between enemies labeled in yellow.

So some yellows are doable, yet other yellows of the same type are not.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Theres definitly a wiiiide gap for yellow sometimes.
    For while bear patriarchs and obsidian bears were both yellow. Theres like a 10+ monster level right there ( taming level used to indicate mob strength )
    I had yellow elvs at 500 health all way up to 1200 that were yellow.
    Very wide gap, and it varies hard.

Gix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.