SotAwiki Update Thread

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

So I've spent the last few days updating merchants and their inventories. While this is by no means complete, I do have all of the merchants that were included on the Shard page, and in other screenshots that I've collected. As far as I can tell, these are updated for R46. I'm aware that there are at least some merchants still missing (the Automation bookseller in Soltown, most of the Housing Deed Merchants, etc). This does include a LARGE chunk of the recipes that were formerly missing from the wiki (at least the recipe items themselves, some are still missing the actual crafting combinations).

Before the telethon tomorrow, I'm going to try to update every recipe to make sure it is pointing to either the merchant(s) or supply bundle(s) where they can be found. Please continue to report missing or incorrect recipes, where recipes drop, and all other updates necessary to the wiki.

Thank you all for your help and support.

Rentier, Mishikal and Spoon like this.
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson How often does the system update the query vendor call?

Also, I've noticed some of the recipe pages are missing that callback, so I'm adding it in as I find them.

3. Browncoat Jayson

All queries should update overnight. I believe all the categories are in place so they should update.

Mishikal likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson Would it be possible to make it easier to see all of a list on a single page?
    For example, if you go to http://sotawiki.net/sota/Carrot_Plant_Seed and then click on "further results" for the vendors, you don't get the full list of vendors, only the next X past 10. If you click on say "100" at the bottom of that, you get results 11-(whatever), but not the first 10. To actually get the /full/ list, you have to edit the URL and change the offset to 0. I.e., there is no simply method with which to get a full list, starting at the first item in the list. Thanks!

5. Browncoat Jayson

It starts at 11, but you can click Previous to get 1-10. It uses whatever the limit is on the query to determine how many results to show on each "page".

Right now, I don't think there are more than 20 vendors that sell any one thing, so we could just change the limit to 20 and it will show everyone on the page without a "futher results" link. That may not be practical moving forward, especially if players start including their POT or personal vendors in the wiki, but its doable for only NPC vendors.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Right, the point is to get everything on one page. Even if you pick, say "500" results, it doesn't give you the full first 500 results, it gives you 11-500. There's no way other than hacking the URL to get a list starting at the first result, through the total. You can only get things like 1-10, 11-500, 501-1000, etc. What I'd expect is 1-500, 501-1000, etc. I was using vendors only as an example. It's more problematic with crafting items, like the full list of things you can make with Carpentry.

7. Browncoat Jayson

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to change the "further results" link functionality. As part of a query template, it is designed to be something that you only want to see a small bit of.

For things like the Carpentry recipes page, those may end up working better as a category page instead of an inline list of all the results. Alternatively, we could forward that page to a dedicated query to show all results, although that may get too big for the server to handle. (There is about 375 results for carpentry recipes, but it seems to time out quite often with a limit greater than 100.)

Having a single page with hundreds of detailed items is likely not going to happen..

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm not sure that we should be including that level of player-created content, especially something as volatile as the content of a personal vendor. Also, don't the POT NPC vendors have a fixed list? There shouldn't need to be one for every different POT. Just make a page for "Blablablah_Vendor_(POT)" that can be linked from elsewhere.

Mishikal likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, I think a generic POT vendor for the different types of POT vendors would be best, so it just shows up once. Otherwise the list of vendors will go on for pages and pages for a given item.

10. Browncoat Jayson

I plan to have templates for POT vendor types, so they will be easy to create. I'll likely play with the query so only NPC vendors show in the default list, and have a separate query for vendors on the Community pages. Right now, I don't think anyone has added their vendor yet, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Rentier and Mishikal like this.
  11. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

Nope, the Automation bookseller has not been missing. Thanks to a Soltown fan entity. ;)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/SLT-172978 (the Automation bookseller in Soltown)

Mishikal, Rentier and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Missed being updated, not completely missing. But good to know he's there.

Mishikal and Rentier like this.
  13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i've just flagged all the existing main tools as tools so they show in the category, but there don't seem to be pages for the founder artisan tool rewards, which have blue artwork instead of green.

(i haven't flagged the consumable tools like stone chisel yet. do you think that would count molds?)

Rentier likes this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

I'll check and see if I have the artwork for the founder versions and get pages created.

I hadn't quite decided on how to handle extra tools. I'm currently leaning toward having the main tools in their own category, have accessories that would cover consumable tools and molds, and fuels that would cover pure consumables (coal, creosote, etc), plus the materials that make up each item (all the various items used in crafting that are not part of the above, and are probably crafted themselves).

There hasn't been a lot of call for that yet, so I've held off to try to get other things done.

Rentier likes this.
  15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Rentier likes this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

I've updated the Heartwood topic so it is listed. Basically, the {{query item variation}} template only searches for items that use a specific recipe. I switched it to use the {{query item variation name}} template that searched based on a text string and category.

I'm looking for these components as well, so we can get crafted goods updated.

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Awesome, thanks! Some way to indicate what recipes all heartwoods are used in would be cool as well (Like wands in this instance). I put Wands as as "See Also" for the Ashen Heartwood

Rentier likes this.
  18. Browncoat Jayson

As the wand variations using it are added, they will show up in the recipe list on that page.

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I decided to try to make a Holly Wreath Hat, and one of the ingredients is "Plant". Looking at the page for plant shows that they aren't sold anywhere, which is kind of true, since it's one of those category ingredients, and nothing is sold specifically as "Plant".

Right now I'm at the Solania deco vendor and he has "Plant (Dracaena)" "Plant (Laurentii)" and "Plant (Pink Bush)". Just typing "plant" into the search box shows that there are (currently) no other sorts of plant.

I'm not sure what kind of magic this needs, so I'm posting here for whoever does know what to do. I guess for now I can just put links to all three at the end of the page.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Rentier likes this.
  20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

They were all named "Plant" originally. So you just need any one of the 3. We probably need a disambiguation page similar to what there is for "Heartwood"

Rentier likes this.