SotAwiki Update Thread

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

Hello i was trying to update my guild listing. i tried back in the day but it didn't change the guild name(community name ).
    old name Shadows of Blood New Name Jade Dragons.
    also the other changes i made didn't seem to update (maybe needed time to refresh)

Could you please change my listing to the following

Community: Jade Dragons
    Guild: Jade Dragons/ Jade Outlaws
    Established: 2014/12/23 (This date can stay )
    Members: 70+
    PVP: Casual
    Play style: Casual
    Role Play: Casual
    Location: Jade Valley, Jade Caverns(PVP), Jade Mountain, Jade Island

Text:
    Jade Dragons are a have fun no push group. that like to let all member play there game there way as long as you don't harass others.
    We are PVE, PVP, Role players, Crafters, and a whole lot of having fun.

as a rule the Jade Dragons do not declare war (but there are PVP'ers). We have a second guild the Jade Outlaws for for declaring war and hosing PVP events.

Any assistance with this is appreciated. :D

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

i see you have changed it already thank you so much and may the blessings of the oracle shine upon you :D

Opps 1 thing could you change current members to 70+ or 70 at least Thank you

Time Lord likes this.
  4. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Hi! Just joined the SotAwiki and wanted to update the Aldwater town page. Aldwater may have been a PRT in the past but it's now an NPC town. Doesn't seem I can edit that part of it, just the lots section. I also sent a message to the the sotamap.com folks to update there as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

The difference between a PRT and NPC town is mainly that NPC towns involve quests, while PRTs do not. PRTs have a small NPC core, with the rest of the town dedicated to housing. Aldwater is still a PRT.

You may be confusing this with a POT, which is owned by players and has a much higher degree of customization available.

Time Lord and Elwyn like this.
  6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

In a POT town, who ever governs it, they can control the lots (reserved, public, evictions, etc). In a PRT/NPC doesn't have that level. Is that correct?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Correct. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Good. I was in the "Haunted Keep of Solania" which was a POT town. Didn't like the fact that I could be evicted and left with no plot. So I moved over to Aldwater. Aldwater does have the wrong map on sotamap.com though and thus the wrong stats on here. I will update the lot stats.

Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  9. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I've updated the Lunar Rift page, using info posted by @Aartemis in the forums here as a starting point, and then verifying it in R32. Hopefully this makes it easy for players to figure out and use these :)

Time Lord and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Awesome, thanks for contributing!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Updated the Aether Vibration Amplifier page with info on how to add other internet radio stations. The UI lets you do this, but it wasn't obvious how you get the URL to add for a given station. Thanks to @Amber Raine for the help with this!

12. Browncoat Jayson

Thanks @coder1024!

Since we have multiple radio devices now, I wonder if this should be in a separate article that all of them are linked to. Hmm...

Time Lord likes this.
  13. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

When I searched for Aether Vibration Amplifier on the site it shows 3 pages. I added a "see also" to one of the pages so now the other 2 point to the one with the added info. That probably could be consolidated into a single page though.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Thanks, I'll take a look at it when I have time. I still need to wikify the patch notes and Telethon rewards too.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Maple staff - says it needs 2 maple heartwood and 2 cloth straps.

I'm trying to make a rock maple staff - used 2 rockmaple heartwood and 2 carp cloth straps with 5 wax, tried more wax and less wax but nada.

Any idea's?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

From what I've seen, that should work, but I havn't tested that recipe myself. Here is the SotaCrafting entry for R32, which should still be good: http://www.sotacrafting.wiki/staff/

Can you verify you are using a Carpentry station (not Milling, just to eliminate any issues), and that your Carpentry Hammer has durability?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well it worked that time. Not sure why? And yeah I check to see what tool shows in the crafting window.

Time Lord and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

One suggestion is to double-click on a similar recipe that you already know, then replace only the different items.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  19. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

Hello, I'm CanVox, I've been messing with your wiki and I want to talk to you about gear variations.

It's clear to everyone that SotA has a really neat crafting system that lets you customize your gear to a high degree, and that is great. It's also hard to figure out what stats your final gear will have. That's why sites like sotaqm have built gear calculators, and those are neat too. sotawiki has built a system that's kind of, but not really, like a gear calculator: when you visit the default "Chainmail Boots" page, all 6 variations of chainmail boots will be listed, with their stats. This seems mostly good at first, but then things got really bad.

Some pieces have 36 variations. Some pieces have 216 variations. When these pieces are wiki'd, a number of Really Bad Things happen:
    - Editability of the wiki drops. Either someone has to manually edit these pages, or someone has to hook up/operate a robot, the functioning of which isn't 100% clear. Wikis need editability to stay up to date because a handful of robot operators can't handle the management of every craftable in the game.
    - Discoverability goes down. Searching for 'longbow' on the wiki is a huge mistake because it's actually called "long bow" or some damn thing, and the 36 different long bows in the search results will make you regret being born. Similar things happen if you look at a craftable subcategory or "gear crafted with this profession" queries or basically any way of traversing the craftable part of the wiki.
    - It doesn't even meet its intended purpose. When I see that "here's 10 variations and their stats, click here for 206 more" link, I'm not really feeling like I've been offered much information, especially since the titles of all of those pages are long gobbledegook.

Altogether, this is a bad system, which is too bad because it was born of a good intention: making sotawiki a one-stop-shop for sota information is a noble goal and a good gear calculator is a thing that people need. If, at some point in the future, someone wants to put a gear calculator (a real one) into the wiki somehow, I'd be really excited about that. But this isn't working. A wiki should be, first and foremost, a quick, accurate, and discoverable store of knowledge. The current system for gear variations undermines that in a big way.

I've been working to bring a lot of the recipes up to date, and figured out a regime that I think will be a really positive direction for the craftable end of the wiki:
    - Eliminate variations on equipable gear, and basically anything that isn't itself a crafting component, in favor of the generic version of the recipe.
    - Make sure variations are live on all crafting components, with correct stats. Make the "used in this recipe" query in the crafting components pages use the generic form, so if you're on the "supple leather straps" page, you'll get all recipes that use "strap" as an ingredient.
    - Make sure all recipes that aren't in the game anymore are marked {{removed}}

This will allow sotawiki to go back to doing what it does best: being a great quick-reference for game knowledge. People willing to traverse and do some math can add up the gear stats themselves, because the components will move toward being accurate and detailed, and those who want a gear calculator can use another site for that, at least for now.

I didn't want to flip the table on your wiki out of nowhere (though my recent activity may not have indicated that), so I only applied these changes to the Mail Armor category, and the pages of the materials & submaterials used by Mail Armor craftables.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Mail_Armor

Let me know what you think, and if you like this direction, I can move forward with the rest of the craftables as I have time. If you don't like it, the variant pages are still around, as redirects. Please let me know. Thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

I'll take a look at your changes when I have a chance. However, a direction change like that would be something the admins would need to decide on together.

I am working on an updated Item Infobox that pulls properties automatically, so variations are easy to populate. Still working on some minor bugs with it. Once that is in place, we can move variations to subpages on the base object, and clean up the search results.

I am aware that the wiki is not great in its current form. Too many outdated pages, and not enough contributors. Let us look at what you propose before making an more progress on those.

Thanks for the work updating the items you have done. I'll let you know what comes of our discussions.

Time Lord and Elwyn like this.