Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

South Fetid Swamp: Very atmospheric!

Discussion in 'Release 51 QA Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I love the new South Fetid Swamp. It is a beautifully made scene, and the ruins on the hill are stunning. I was happy to loot over 70 gold from an imp, and very disappointed to fight 4 Skeletons and run through a fire trap in order to loot a tempting-looking chest that contained - nothing. Please put loot in all chests. Maybe someone else was there before me and looted it, but I don't think so.

Location of the chest:

Area: Novia_R8_Swamp01_01
    Area Display Name: South Fetid Swamp
    Loc: (340.5, 37.0, 200.0)

Edit: after visiting the ruins I wandered around the scene. Outside of the immediate entrance and the ruins there is too little going on. Too few mobs for gaining XP and too few resources to farm.

The elevated wooden structures connected by bridges are fantastic!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed.
    I was there yesterday.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...south-fetid-swamp-worldbuilding-stuff.110446/

Really like what they are trying to create with the mix of the swamp and the ruins, the elves in the sky and the mound etc. very nice variety. Love when they add that in a scene since it makes you want to return to see if you have missed something.

I found a couple if things strange though.

This is a 2-skull beginners area. But there are very few resource nodes and they are all spread out from eachother.
    I did find some random garlic and cotton etc.
    But when I compare this to Perennial Coast 2-skull then it truly pales in comparison. Where is the large amounts of wood and ore we see in other beginner scenes? (Yea I know the wood has changed appearance. )

Then the puzzle in the ruins is a really great one but for the level a 2-skull is intended it seems like the reward doesn't match the effort.
    Better to gate the reward behind a quest giver so it can't be farmed and increase the reward. I mean it would take a beginner days to figure that one out.

Then the only thing I really dislike is the outside border texture. If one doesn't add a lot of foliage just outside the border texture it really ruins the otherwise nice visual. I would even prefer a fade-to-black than that "hi I'm the border texture in a computer game, you are not allowed to pass me haha".

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The gold haul from the Imp was an illusion. The imp steals that gold from you and when you kill him the loot is your own property recovered.

Numa and Kara Brae like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Drats! Thanks for letting me know!

Cordelayne and Aldo like this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I got tired of puzzles playing Skyrim. Now I leave all puzzles all unsolved unless I know that it will be worth my while. :)

Aldo and Spoon like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I went back another time.

It truly is a great scene.

But my comment about the resource nodes really sticks out, there are so few here, I went into another recent 2-skull in North Midmaer Way and it had abundant resource nodes wherever you look.
    Which is sad since it reduces the incentive to return and explore all the details in this scene.

majoria70 and Kara Brae like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm not sure that's true? Imps have 50-70 gold even if you kill them with a bow from quite a distance. I think they do steal gold from you if they get close, but I've never gotten more than that amount from killing one. I suspect any gold they steal is just gone.

Aldo, Gia2 and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Imps seem to typically have 70 gold. any amount over that is what they stole from you. You still net 70 gold each for killing them.

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am a Melee player. I watch my gold when killing an Imp and always see it go down. I guess I assumed that this gold went into the Imp loot. Perhaps not!! Has anyone ever found a dead Imp killed by an NPC and seen what is on the corpse?

10. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

Thank you guys! I am glad you are exploring the swamp!
    I will take a look today at the resource distribution and make some adjustments.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.