Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In order to test Shardfalls and other PVP areas, Single Player Online mode should be turned off for those areas immediately.

Otherwise, we will not get the proper amount of feedback from the community.

TEK, KuBaTRiZeS and Musaab Osman like this.
  2. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

It was weird today. I went to Grunvald Shardfall for the Grand Tour Quest fully expecting to get ganked as everyone was so voraciously crying about here and there.

I'm hyped, focused, nervous, but prepared to make the run.

I zone in.

Nothing but plants.

Where are the griefers?

3. Drocis the Devious

That's what happens when you have an open pvp area that can either be bypassed (using single player mode) or where they can just gank up on people and everyone stops showing up.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh hell no. And first of all.. on what basis is there a claim that there won't be enough feedback. There's no evidence of this. Are you suggesting there are simply not enough PvPers playing the game to test PvP zones?

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I agree with the sentiment but pretty sure the SPO role-playing community would be devastated.

Heradite and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

No nothing like that.

I'm claiming that as we add more PVP zones to the mix, there shouldn't be a backdoor into those areas (as there will not be at launch) and so any feedback we get on those areas should be based on a true representation of what they are "pvp zones". They're not SPO zones.

It's like if we made Owl's Head into an open pvp zone. It doesn't make sense to test it in an environment that is not going to exist at launch.

7. Drocis the Devious

They should get used to that then because at launch they're not going to be able to go in there. They're not helping to test anything by going into the area in SPO mode. That doesn't help anything.

And since the devs want to encourage players to go into those areas and "try" pvp...the only way they will know if what they're doing is working is to turn off SPO for those areas.

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I think SPO can go into the Grunvald post-launch, yes?

Tahru likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Those zones will still be available to SPO players. They've talked about it before. They just won't have the bonuses to resources in SPO than they will in multiplayer so you lose the extra benefit since you're not taking an extra risk to go there.

10. Drocis the Devious

Hmmm, I thought I read recently that they couldn't go into those areas without accepting PVP.

If I'm wrong then the OP is also wrong. It seems like Single Player mode should be allowed to go into those areas with out PVP, but single player online mode seems like a loop hole to me.

I totally get that some people don't ever want to deal with pvp and that's fine with me. But please explain how the Oracle protects people in single player mode but not multiplayer mode.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't see an issue of allowing people in the zone...add some monsters or whatnot to make it interesting, take away the "so called more risk rewards" and why does it bother you?

12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

That's a pretty good pace, even for you Baron. :D

13. Drocis the Devious

Consistency

The Oracle holds no power in the Shardfalls, for example. The Oracle protects players from other players. Unless they are in Single Player mode and then the Oracle doesn't matter anymore? It just seems like a cheap way to let people ignore the rules of the environment.

I get that people don't like pvp. But, just don't go there then, it's a pvp zone. PVP by it's very nature means you need more than one player.

Budner likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There have been a lot of people complaining about it because of the tour guide quests. You might have picked up the impression from that.

I'd like someone to explain to me how the Oracle protects anyone at all. That makes absolutely zero sense to begin with in my book. These are game mechanics which cannot truly be supported by lore but are necessary. To add lore to try to explain it is.. well pretty lame in my book. The Oracle doesn't protect you from the native population. You can still get killed by man, beast, plant and other causes. You don't stay dead regardless. But there's story claiming the Oracle protects you from other avatars? The point of that is what exactly?

You don't need to explain away necessary mechanics you can't really do any other way. But I guess it serves a purpose to actually have to go someplace in-game to turn your PvP flag on and off rather than just having a check box in your game options.

15. Drocis the Devious

If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm fine with SPO people going to a shard fall alone. As long as they don't get the high resource yield, and the "rare" resources spawn extremely infrequently.

I would rather give that to the PvE players so they can view all the content of the game without being involved in PvP.

Albus, Gaelis, docdoom77 and 7 others like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

But they are interesting areas...If I'm not playing a PVP game i may still want to see the areas. This whole oracle thing I'm not so sure about.....I think it is a mechanism in game to allow people to PVP. Which is great more power to them...what I don't get is why it would bother anyone if someone wanted to adventure in a cool location such as that. It boggles my mind why it is even an issue, it's like saying that's my toy no one else should get to play with it. I'm all for the PVP zone for those that want it, but blocking the zone off when you can easily load a instance for some high level NPC's fun is crazy if you ask me.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I believe the idea was the IF SPO players were forced into multiplayer while in PvP zones after release then the same conditions should exist now.

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Maybe they should allow the zoning into single player instances again *grin*

Tahru and Net like this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

I can totally see that side of it, but don't you think that diminishes the story? I do. And frankly, it points out something important about pvp and risk. If you devalue it by allowing people to experience everything BUT the pvp, then what's the risk? That's kind of the whole point of having an area that you have to pvp to get to.

So here's another question I have. Let's say I buy a city for $4000 and make it PVP only. Should people be allowed to see the city in SPO mode? I'm personally really offended by that idea. Part of the mystique of the city is that you can't get in unless you accept PVP. If you can get in and take a leisurely tour without any risk...what's that about?

I personally don't like PVE, so should there be modes where PVE is turned off and I don't have to worry about monsters? I'm fine with there being pvp zones, but we should make them PVP not "pvp optional" zones.

Gorn da Morn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.