Spoiler: Grannus Colossus

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Poor game design, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Lum the Mad
    @Lord British

Feedback: (I'm being a bit general still to avoid massive spoilers - the solutions for this quest don't appear to be wide spread yet)
    The Grannus Colossus Lens quest.

Scene: A+ Looks great.
    Mobs: Can't wait for the respawn to be turned off. The respawn rate here is UNREAL if you're a solo player. Great farming, horrible exploration. Tons of rage quit potential here for solo players.

NPC: You have an NPC that is standing in the middle of a giant army of super high level stuff. You can't stealth your way there, and because of the respawn rate you can barely figure out what the conversation is about before you're dead. Consider moving this NPC somewhere that solo players don't have to kill a respawning army to hold a successful conversation.

NPC Dialogue: The same NPC mentioned above should have a few more sentences describing what EXACTLY is going to happen (not that it causes decay, but that the NPC will recharge a dread item for you). The NPC is really only saying that it will do something you don't like without really making a lot of sense about why you'd want it to do that in the first place.

Currently this is like trying to perform one of the hat quests except instead of a hat you get decay! Yay! Had the NPC simply said he was going to recharge a dread weapon, I would've skipped this. Although since I was stuck trying to find the lens I may have "proceeded" just to see if that was what I needed to do in order to advance the quest line. For a short term fix, please add text that explains you don't need to do this to advance the quest line.

Tip: If you're going to "hide" an entrance from the players, but your intention is not to make them get so frustrated that they consider rage quitting, then you should put SOMETHING around the area that the entrance is in so that it makes them want to investigate (and possibly find the hidden entrance). What you don't want to do is use very standard assets and casually hide the entrance in or around something that is so common to players that they wouldn't DREAM of exploring that area. That's the kind of hiding place that makes players feel stupid for not looking there, and also feels like you're trying to purposely trick them and waste their time.

So for example, if I wanted to leave the entrance (to the location of the lens) where it currently is, I might put an interesting "item" right near or poking out of that area. That makes the player want to explore without holding their hand and simply putting a chest with the lens under a neon sign that says "Here!".

Trees: For whatever reason it's very difficult to move past any of the trees in this scene. Normally you can move through the branches of trees, but the Grannus Colossus trees completely block you and sometimes you can get stuck on them. It's very inconsistent and annoying.

Thanks for reading! I hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Unlike the first three paths, in this area you can go as a group in multiplayer. There was no way I could solo it because I won't go spam-in-a-can, but I was able to duo it with someone else who came by and was also having trouble. But yes, they probably need to do something about the respawn rate in offline.

discipleofweb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.