1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Spring 2017 Crafter's Competition - Gear Design Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I sold thousands of obsidian chips during the competition - thank you crafting armor contest!

Spoon and Bow Vale like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was also joking when I said that.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*Spoon sneaks up behind Barugon and gives him a nudge and then leans in to whisper*

Psst. When the kind lady offers you a curtsy in appreciation of your acts then the gracious thing is to accept that as it brings glory to the both of you. Then if your humility doesn't allow you to keep the boon rewarded then state your intention to pass it onwards for even more glory. Like putting such crowns into the alms box in the Welcome Center outside Soltown where they would be put to good use.

*Spoon gives Barugon a soft punch to the shoulder and instantly regrets it as his knuckles produces a dong against the armor forged for the competition*

-My lady. Sire.
    * quick nods and a swift exit to search for a magical snowbox*

Hornpipe likes this.
  4. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

In the interest of constructive criticism....

This contest from the start was very vague and by its very nature, with it being the first of its kind within SOTA it had to be and a lot of things were open to interpretation. What one person considers the "best" gear can be completely useless to someone else. Its like asking 10 people who is best singer, footballer, artist etc, you will get 10 different answers based on their own opinions. Personally knowing what I do about crafting I thought that the bone armour entry should have won simply because of how much of a pain it is to get those materials in the first place and because i was around for days while the materials were being farmed. Obviously I'm delighted that I won and (despite what i just said about the bone armour) my own submission was the perfect armour for my play style. I spend most of my time mining and needed a higher carry capacity so I went with Strength on as many pieces as I could. I'm also a tank so wanted as much avoidance as possible and obsidian has a lower fizzle rate than the other metal plate so it allows me to cast my pathetic spells while mining. For me its perfect but for a mage it would be useless, for an archer it would be too bulky...the list goes on. The day before the crafting contest I actually blew up a perfectly good +10 chestpiece simply because it didn't have avoidance on it. This resulted on me dragging half a dozen guild members back into hilt so we could make a couple of replacements and make something I would be happy with before the crafting contest ended.

The point I'm trying to make is that everything that was entered was subjective and everyone who entered, and even those who did not, will have their own thoughts which they liked the best for their own reasons.

@Berek
    Someone has already suggested that the next contest of this type should have categories similar to the home deco contest and this may alleviate some of the bad feelings. I hope that some of the negative comments on here do not put off portalarium from having future contests and I personally look forward to the next one. We as gamers are generally a whiny bunch, if you give us red dye you will get 40% of the people saying the red is too light, 40% saying its too dark and 30% of us trying to do the math behind how percentages work.

Seriously, hope there are future events like this and keep up the good work.

*wanders off to spend his winning store credits*

Jonah Hayes, Hornpipe and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

:oops:

Hornpipe likes this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Categories are a good idea, will consider all of your feedback for the next contest. Thanks Scoffer!

nimueCW and Graynight like this.
  7. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

What about following the basic rules of the contest?

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Who didn't follow the rules (besides me)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.