Standardized Buff Durations

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Kelanor, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

Alrighty....
    I have 10 buffs i actively use.
    their timers are:
    10 mins
    21 mins
    1.1 min
    1.45 mins
    2.1 mins
    2.1 mins
    1 min
    0.5 mins
    0.5 mins
    0.25 mins

This is alot of crap to keep track of and when they all fall of of timers at various intervals I don't even care anymore, I just recast everything because i'm not going to keep track of all that ****....

Standardize the timers a bit please. I get some of the ones that are intended to be like short burst buffs, but the rest??? Cmon... give us like a standardized like 5 min timer +/- skill level and just be done with it. I don't care if i have to cast my candle and/or strength of earth/etc more often if it means everything falls off timer at same time.

Or at least standardize the timers per category: Intended short term buffs, and intended long term buffs. But standardize it to those 2 specific categories that way we can cast them all at the same time and not have to worry about which buffs fall off when. Also having that many "short" duration buffs is slightly annoying too, that's alot of crap to recast from fight to fight. A 5 minute timer would be appreciated since 1 min is really only enough for 1 fight at a time.

Feeyo, Elrond and Boo Ladedada like this.
  2. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

Better yet, why not give us a toggle switch on buffs?? Skill reserves "x" amount of Mana like a summoned pet, and the buff stays on. That way we can forget about our buffs but it still comes at a cost. I think skills like strength of earth and our "stances" would be good candidates for toggled buffs.

Osiris3 likes this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This feature would be great for stances. As for buffs, I admit it would be good for all shields & stats buffs to be standardized at 10 or 15 minutes and then have the reactionary buffs be like current (those work like I expect them to, I have nothing to say against those). Its because of all those weird timers (and for some pointlessly short) that I have limited the amount of buffs I want to maintain. Some just arent worth the hassle for me anymore.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It annoys me that some of the same effects are vastly different. Dash (Air) is multiple times longer than Sprint (Light Armor) for no good reason, for example. At least standardize the lengths of similar skills at the same level of experience so we can use the skills we have instead of cherry picking what abilities we need to learn due to effectiveness.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  5. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I don't agree, if this is done for glyph buffs then you are removing much of the player skill and depth of building a deck.

Regards
    Spung

Dhanas, Sean Silverfoot and Feeyo like this.
  6. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

All this is is tedious ui screen staring... This isn't fun, this isn't pleasant. It's 10-15 seconds of spamming buffs prior to each and every single fight....

I want to fight **** and have fun, not worry about "Oh no is buff X or buff Y about to run out? Did i remember to cast buff Z? When was the last time I cast buffs A,B,C, or D?"

I don't mind having 10 buffs, what i mind is having to cast then each and every fight repetitively and at un-standardized intervals.

I see mob, I don't bother even looking at my bar to see what buffs i have on anymore, I just cast everything:

Light, Strength of Earth, Inner Strength, Purify, Shield of Crystal, Elysian Illumination, Defensive Stance, Earth's Embrace, and tap my Harp of Invigoration to start it's buff pre-maturely. (And I keep Glancing Blows, Deflect in deck itself randomly)

What I would like to see is spells like: Light, Strength of Earth, and Defensive stance be a "toggled" ability like mentioned above. Cause that would reduce the buffing footprint by 1/3.
    Further if the others had longer standardized durations of between 5-15 minutes, that would further reduce the buffing footprint in battles significantly. Yes I would still have to buff, but not NEARLY as often so we can all just focus on killing stuff and having fun. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I barely remember to activate my buffs...! I like the idea of toggling for a cost of focus though. Standardized timers would be good, but to differentiate a lower level skill from it's higher counterpart you could increase the effects since the timer is not increased with level?

8. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

Perhaps a decreased focus cost for higher level toggled power to show difference? Like 6% of total focus for higher level vs like 3% of total focus for gm buff, or something similar.

9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I agree

Things like keeping yourself continually buffed with trivial passives during the heat of combat is a great example of player skill.

They should show this in the livestreams and demo videos.

Sure to attract a bunch of competitive PVPers.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I agree that some buffs are waaay to short, but yeah I will have to agree that keeping your buffs up all the time in battle is part of player skill. I mostly just re-spam all my buffs all the time :)

The only thing I really hate is the timer of poisons... 20 seconds is just pointless, even with higher level poison skills its ridiculous short.
    Fix that.

11. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

I think there is an underlying problem here that is deeper than buff duration too I think. We are allowed to have too many buffs equipped at the same time.
    I think if there was a total casted buff cap, we would have less buffs we would have to manage and we would be required to be more selective with what buffs we take with us instead of: "oh man I need to master all 20 of these skill trees for all these dozen+ buffs."

I think if they put a hard cap on "casted" buffs to like say I dunno, like 5 maybe? It wouldn't be anywhere near as tedious. Plus standardize AND increase the durations to a fair level that we're not spamming them in between every fight. I think that would be beneficial to all of us honestly.

But that is just my two cents. I would honestly just be happy enough with standardized durations alone even.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  12. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I would be happy if they got someone on the team who looks like they either played or designed a combat system in the past 20 years so practically every part of our combat system wouldn't need to be discussed on the forums for improvement.

13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The duration and strength of buffs from the magic trees depends on the attunement one have in this tree.
    Buffs can also be stacked, this will also increase duration and power.

For me the str and int buff lasts nearly an hour, i would not be happy if i need to recast it every 10 mins.
    Some buffs are designed to be used within fight. This are mostly the short duration buffs.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

?

My Dash at level 80 is like, 30 seconds, Sprint is a minute something at level 90.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.