Standup Commentary

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by Kilhwch, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Halgore

Halgore Avatar

Oh yes it will. You can say many things about this game. Many updates and game addition schedules has been steady for years.

Aeryk likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Keep in mind that you quoted me from 13 months ago. I'm glad to see that my $20 didn't vanish into the ether.

Many of those updates are bad priorities, and waste developer time... of the things they will have actually gotten to in the 2020 vision, or partially accomplished.

3. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I had faith for the longest time.

I actually thought they'd gone and dedicated team members to Secret Stuff (an actual polished RPG!) they hadn't announced yet. (See: Elite Dangerous announcing atmospheric worlds and FPS gameplay just recently. I.e. Stuff they didn't announce but were working on in the background.)

I would routinely check in this stand-up forum for terms like "quests", "journal", "story" and "single-player" back in 2018/19 (after they told us "the last 20% bros!" and then afterwards Starr admitted they'd dropped the ball and then promised the world for Ep. 2). And yet every time I saw something promising, it was either fleeting or I just read too much into it. (To be fair quest bug fixing did come up a lot but that's due to a critical failure of technical architecture.)

Well maybe not a failure. It's not a fail if you don't care about it in the first place right?

It doesn't matter how this came about. I'm convinced now that the priorities are those of some business dudes trying to do business in the world of business in the Games Industry™ business.
    E.g. F2P MMO and mobile gaming makes the moneyz now yeah? Sweet. Let's just do that.
    They looked at all the incentives of a Kickstarter project and interpreted them through the lens of Candy Crush.

And then an RPG is released (Ooh, I dunno, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity?) by peeps who genuinely have a passion for games like the Ultima series (a fundamental part of CRPG history at that, Christ - the irony!) and it makes more money than God, that must sting? Nah, probably not.

Just go ahead and do some more Excel based analytics there, that'll work.

@Lord British "Come hell or high water" - Come on man, this is your legacy, sort it out! You're essentially a historical figure at this point, you can't let it end like this!

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And don't forget Kingdom Come Deliverance. That game is amazing. While buggy at release the devs really pulled off something special. The crafting system where you can auto brew but you miss out on brewing more potions if you do and don't get the raises. Lots of consequences for your actions. Not an easy game but really interesting story and surprising things happen all the time. Mounts are totally viable for extra storage, speed and even can wear armor and I think a horse race is coming up. Takes a bit to get embroiled in this game but imo totally worth it. Not everything is appropriate for Sota at this point of where development went but a lot of it was similar to many of our early ideas for Sota.

Well I say At least we could do mounts and any upcoming systems good. I don't hear that we are going to though like make mounts viable. Chris just wants them for shiny to appease the obligation to get them in. Heaven forbid they should be cool and fleshed out with useful features. It is one bad decision after another.

5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I backed KCD and have the T-Shirt! It's funny, I've had it since 2018 but I only started playing it last weekend. I have a newborn so gaming's pretty difficult to squeeze in these days. :) (And I guess the initial plan was to finish the SotA questline first as I'd backed SotA first... and Ultima is my first RPG love. But hey. :|)

I'm still in the starting village but the game is fantastic so far! The intro is so well done, the medieval music is note perfect! I love the artistic choices on the map and inventory UI. Basically the presentation leads to a wonderful immersive experience. Exactly what a true RPG should be able to deliver.

These devs from Czech are amazing. Operation Flashpoint blew my mind in 2001 (a great year; got Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid 2, GTA III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Halo and Black and White during that time! What a year.)

These dudes also gave us Mafia (2002) and Hidden and Dangerous 2 (2003). Also two of my all time favourites.

Viva la Czech dev scene! :D