Starting the story fresh for veteran players

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by mass, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

Given that the story will likely be completed and polished in the coming months, and that there has always been talk of at least resetting quest flags for current players, I was wondering if there were any specific plans to reintroduce veteran players into the main quest line? @Lum the Mad

Ideally, I'd like to login on the day story is 'released' and be given a prompt "Would you like to begin the main quest line?" and if I select 'yes' it transports me to the floating island where you start the game. I think this would be problematic to implement and don't expect it.

However, would it be possible to have a similar prompt that let's you pick which main quest line to start at and be transported there to begin (as a one time thing just to get you started)?

If players need to simply go find where they want to start, it seems like they will miss out on some of the initial scripted events.

Is this stuff a possibility or should we just expect to travel to the starter scene of our quest of choice to begin? If there's a plan, I'd love to see what it is!

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That is a great question and if we are reset then we do need to get restarted in Isle of Storms to talk to the Oracle and chose a path. Otherwise we wouldn't be in any of the three paths.

If nothing else we should really make sure this question gets into the next hangout if they don't answer it here in the forums. @Berek

3. mass

mass Avatar

Subtle correction, but not subtle enough :D

Time Lord, Alley Oop and Spoon like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I plead the fifth.
    :eek:

Time Lord, mass and Alley Oop like this.
  5. SkyeBors

SkyeBors Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  6. mass

mass Avatar

Fister Magee, Time Lord and Grimbone like this.
  7. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Well since i can not get an answer to why my Courage quest borked up and there seems no way to fix it I guess i will be in line to do a restart on the quests then. Hate to have to go back through all that again.....but since so much of it was either messed up, changed midstream or whatever that is the only course of action i have. Frankly i would rather them find out what happened to the quest on MY end so that maybe that can be avoided for others as well. No I didnt bug report it cause well everytime i try to report a bug i get richocheted all over the boards and not able to post it.
    Hopefully things will work out with a restart on the quest lines.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Did you document your courage Quest steps? I would like to redo what you did and see if I get the same result. It may provide good feedback to the devs.

9. Belladonna Rose

Since i started and stopped in different stages to the quest no idea how to document it. The main hangup is at the end. I sent the chat log of that day that it hung up on me to Lum but have yet to hear anything from him about it. Actually reposted it to him twice. I know he is busy and all but some sort of response would be nice. But not gonna hold my breath on it. I will just bide my time and wait for the reset and just do them all over again. Hate to have to do that ...but i dont see a real choice at this point

10. mass

mass Avatar

So, I saw in the R44 release notes that in R45 we would get the 'story reset token'. Any ideas yet how this works? Will we start at the isle of storms?
    @Lum the Mad

discipleofweb likes this.
  11. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

You know in the old days of gaming it was always at a Tavern where you heard rumors & such for quest starters. I know its a tired tactic, but perhaps they could implement a reason to visit taverns to listen to the gossip there for major quest starters to get vets back in on the action.

Numa, Spoon, mass and 1 other person like this.
  12. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Aye, information would be greatly appreciated, but they have 30 days to decide :) Good question for the next postmortethon though!

mass and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

There were a lot of fixes to the Path of Courage ending that went in this release that may have fixed your issues (plus it's just a lot more polished in general). In general you should never be completely locked out from progressing now.

Numa likes this.
  14. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You will not go through the tutorial again, but will begin each path as if you have begun in another path's tutorial.

We still need to hash through a lot of the specifics so I don't have answers for a lot of these questions, the plan is to get the quest reset ready ASAP in internal testing so that it can be hammered on once the R45 QA servers come up.

15. Belladonna Rose

Thanks Lum. I finally got the Courage quest to progress after today's release. Very happy and now I am on the Oracle journey. And yes i did the happy dance when it got fixed. LOL

Numa and discipleofweb like this.
  16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

My main question about this whole "reset" plan is: Are we going to be able to get duplicates of some of the rewards these quests give out? Or, will there be an internal check to see if the account ever received it before awarding it again?

What I'm really getting at is... will people be able to dual wield a pair of Scepter of Dread's? :p

royalsexy likes this.
  17. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I'm not sure where I read it today, but one of the dev's stated there'll be no duplicates. Only benefit to redo'ing the story is the experience you gain + generally speaking actually being able to complete the story w/o bumbling and hoping lol. Should be an enjoyable experience the 2nd time around!

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler
    @Trihugger

royalsexy likes this.
  19. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Spoon likes this.
  20. Belladonna Rose

Yes i was told that there is a bit of new content and animations with some of the NPCs that you encounter. IE; Grannus. But I am not sure i want to go through all that again. But I might just to help guildmates go through for the first time. There are a few folks that havent even gone through any of them yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.