Starting to play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by High Baron Asguard, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

If you are of baron pledge level, somehow make it back to Soltown-- either in game now, or recreate your character. Once there, go see the banker and pick up your Lord Cloak of Light, the Knight Helm of Light or the Sword of Ba'heer. All three generate light around your character. You'll be able to see your immediate surroundings at night, at least. As stated before, hit the "M" key for the compass. Also, go to the Game Options page, I think it is, and set the titles of towns and such to display in English as well as Runic. We who have played for the past 18 months have a good idea as to what is where , while you don't. Also, as mentioned before, pick up one of the maps of Novia and the Hidden Vale that are online. That will help with the lay of the land.

For available lots, there probably are a lot of village and row lots available, and some town lots; but probably not any city, keep and castle lots at all. You'll have to check with the town crier in each town.

FrostII and Moonshadow like this.
  2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Well that was fun *sarcastic* find a town which is almost empty, mark lot to go to, get deed from banker, get to marker and find lot taken, walk back to cryer and find that in the 2 min 40 lots have been claimed filling whole town

3. High Baron Asguard

Stuff it, I quit. It keeps directing me to taken lots and saying they are empty

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

are you, by chance, in paxlair or vengeance? if so, you'd need the town owner to unlock a lot for you.

5. Lained

Lained Avatar

Seems like the town crier was lying and the lots are claimed though, if you want to login to multiplayer I'll hop in and you can zone to me and I'll release my lot and you can take it.

6. High Baron Asguard

no towns around Adrois and then Adrois itself. Screen pops up saying all these lots are free, get there and they are all taken and have houses on them, in the case of Adrois I actually still had the window open saying that the lot I was standing next to (with a boat on it) was free

Doesn't matter, not going to keep wasting my time on this, if this is what the game will be like screw it. I think I will go back to mass effect or skyrim

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Northshire in the hidden vale even has 1 town lot available and many village lots available.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Geez guy, it IS pre-alpha - cut us some slack..........
    Seriously.

9. High Baron Asguard

I did manage to get a house with Stenne's help, of course now that I placed it I couldn't get through the door *sigh*

Yes it is but considering its housing and what not which have had so much work put into them while people have been screaming about combat I would have though THAT sort of problem would have been fixed
    The slow and skippy I will put down to my computer (if its my country then they have some SERIOUS problems to deal with but I think its probably my video card which will be fixed when I can afford it)

Ok first impressions, its hard to navigate, night is a pain in the butt, combat was 1,2,3,4 because none of the skills had any unique purpose (HOPEFULLY that's different for the mage and gets better latter but considering the cards supposedly exist to FIX that "problem" I'm not very impressed), the chat window disappearing is painful (took me a while to realise I just had to press enter to get it to reappear) and when I'm trying to type something random windows keep popping up because it doesn't seem to realise that I would want to continue having the same conversation with the person I'm talking to.

All in all, not really impressed at this stage, especially considering this is release 18, not release 5

10. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Yes, there are plenty of problems with the game at present. It's still early days and the dev team are obviously aware of the current weak areas and are working hard to fix and improve them. In a release schedule though, release 18 is still early days. Get out there and make some friends and join a guild, explore the different areas and the potential the game has, provide constructive feedback to help the devs, and I'm sure that you might even enjoy being part of a potentially wonderful game!

Chatele and FrostII like this.
  11. Lained

Lained Avatar

There's a big warning sign before you login with links to instructions on how to play and current known issues.

From the Player Guide.

FrostII likes this.
  12. High Baron Asguard

is that before or AFTER the 50 pages of the "user agreement" and whatever else?
    when companies have conditioned people to just click "agree" to everything because its not possible to read it all then they only have themselves to blame when they put something in they DO want people to read and they dont

13. High Baron Asguard

Also I was worried clicking that would crash the game

14. High Baron Asguard

Just for example, this is ONE of the things which pops up, did YOU read it all?

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well, it probably won't pop up again.... so don't worry about it.

Acred likes this.
  16. High Baron Asguard

how do I set my title?

Radio station really good, turn it on to hear the cranberries AWESOME (though I would have picked Zombie not linger) to bad the dancing emotes SUCK

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Dewderonomy like this.
  17. TantX

TantX Avatar

Cranberries are fantastic. But don't diss on the dancing emotes - if the screenshots are to be believed, it's what 90% of people do in this game.

18. Mata

Mata Avatar

19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I am sorry that your experience has been so frustrating. Navigating in the dark on the overland map is indeed difficult, but the Devs have been good at responding to feedback so we can hope that it will become easier.

With regard to your other problems, it is really difficult to offer advice or assistance without more details. If I understood you correctly, it was in Adoris where you were told that lots are available when they are not. This is a bug and has been reported in the R18 Bug report forum. I thought it had been fixed, but maybe not.

I am glad that you were able to claim a lot. Lots in the larger towns are always immediately claimed by players within hours of a new release after a wipe, so if you come to the party late, all will be taken. You will need to find someone willing to unclaim their lot in your favor, or be lucky enough to find a free lot when someone unclaims it or loses lot ownership due to inactivity. Currently, if you are inactive (don't log into the game) for 2 weeks, any lots you own become available again and your lot/house deeds and decorations are deposited in the local bank.

The chat window does need a lot of work, but other game mechanics have been prioritized in recent releases. It is certainly annoying to have to keep clicking in the chat window to re-direct the focus from the screen (where typed letters are shortcut keys opening windows), so that you can continue to type a conversation. It is equally annoying when you want the focus to be on the screen and it is in the chat window instead, causing one to type wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww in the chat window instead of moving forward :confused:

The best advice I can give any new player is to
    1. Read the R18 Instructions and the patch notes for each patch. This will save a lot of time because it sets expectations and lists a lots of known issues.
    2. Read the Player Guide accessible from the game itself (either in your backpack or by clicking on the huge question mark on the upper right).
    3. Play the game with the intention of testing the basic game mechanics and giving constructive feedback on them rather than expect a finished game
    4. Report bugs in the bug report forum.

Good luck!

smack, Chatele, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  20. High Baron Asguard

To be honest right now I am just listening to the radio, whoever is putting together the playlist has GREAT taste :) (though Tears of pearls is better than carry on dancing :p )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.