State of the AI Bottleneck

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Lord Ravnos, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Hi all,

I have noticed a consistent theme to the telethons question and answers sections. That is AI. The current and seemingly endless state of the AI is that it's bogged down, and bottle-necked.

My question is: What is going to be done and should be done about it before release? I think it's a significant enough problem thus far that it's frankly my main concern for the longevity of the game at it's (AI) current rate of improvement.

Thanks for reading! :)

(the 2 year plan kind of references the different parts of what is wanted, but not AI directly)

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

3. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

AI is a very specific category... it's how NPCs behave and react.

Other categories relate to AI, but have more to do with NPCs: path-finding and mesh management, movement, optimizations (network traffic, frame-rate, load times), spawn management, and a bunch of other categories.

There isn't a single person in charge of NPCs... Many systems intersect w/ NPCs now : level design, combat design, conversation, UI, player state, quests, animation, etc.

NPC optimizations and improvements are a shared technical responsibility where several people contribute on a regular basis. We've made great progress on load times, frame-rate, and will be spending more time addressing network optimizations in the next few releases.

I'm not sure where the AI 'bottle-neck' idea came from, but that's beside the point. The company decides how best to deploy our resources - what we focus on can change from release to release. For example, if we feel having several programmers focus the majority of the release improving our frame-rate / or load times, that's what we're going to do.

The entire staff has plenty of work to do - we always have :)

I leave the planning up to Starr.

4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

First off I want to give props to Scrambler. Scrambler and I have worked together for 10 years. When I joined Portalarium he is one of the first engineers I made sure we hired. Like every programmer on this team, he is a freakin' rock star. It is no secret that I don't keep slow swimmers around (except me of course!) and if Scrambler is still working with me after 10 years and 2 companies, you can be sure he is a keeper.

Our problem is not one of anyone under performing but staff size and priorities. For some comparison, Elder Scrolls online started with the Skyrim codebase, started 10 years ago, has an engineering staff of 46. We have an engineering team of 6 plus me and started from scratch a little over 4 years ago. To say we have our hands full would be a gross understatement! :p It's part of why we wanted to do open development and let players see the changes with a monthly snapshot.

So I think I've mentioned Bzus and Wizardsmoke by name before but not sure I ever mentioned Scrambler. If I did, it was probably in response to a specific task or feature. I also want to be clear about something that I just realize might not be obvious. If someone is a bottleneck at a government job or a big corporation, it is probably because they suck. On a small, high talent team like ours, the people that get mentioned in the same sentence with terms like "bottleneck" or "overloaded" are the ones that have too much to do because they are indispensable and no one else can do their job. Scrambler, Bzus, and Wizardsmoke absolutely fall into the indispensable category.

So what Scrambler said was also on target. What people perceive as AI in our game can be attributed to probably a dozen different team members. Scrambler is responsible for the behavior trees, pathfinding, and some other AI specific systems but much of what you perceive as AI is something others did. Even seemingly unrelated stuff like level building and spawning can completely change how an AI feels.

Do I think our overall AI is where it needs to be? In many areas, absolutely. In the end game combat and boss fights areas, we aren't quite there yet. Some of that falls on Scrambler but some is on Bzus and other parts on me and other parts on Gix and other parts on other team members. Before a new creature makes it into the game, probably half the team touches it in some way.

So you're obviously posting because you have concerns about what we're going to do to improve things. So the good news is that as the story development is winding down, that means that a lot of the team is getting to focus on more stuff like new creatures, new behaviors, and new challenging content. As I've said in the hangouts a few times though, our focus right now is largely on the early game content in preparation for launch because that is what most new players will be seeing. As that gets more polished, we will continue to focus more on end game mechanics, end game scenes, and end game combat mechanics.

tl;dr version: Scrambler is awesome, AI is more than just one person, and we'll be turning our focus towards endgame content as we get more of the new user experience and performance tasks checked off.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Soo New and end game is the focus, what bout broken / incomplete

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Great post @Chris its a balm on my shattered heart. I'm sure everyone including critics can appreciate honest communication such as this, helps us see where to focus when we want to be helpful.

Did you just mention @Gix ? or is there also a dev named the same ? :)

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If you read between the lines, it will all come in the second pass.

The devs didn't just aim for perfect, that would have eaten their budget way too fast, instead they went for the long term, longevity and stability, which I appreciate.

We might not understand the philosophy, but to me understanding the intentions is more valuable.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

There's a dev who shares the same handle, yes. I get tons and tons of friend invites... never sure if it's because they think I'm a dev or if they just want a teleport.

@Chris @Scrambler So far I got to say that the AI (yes, even stuff like pathfinding) is possibly my favourite part of the game and blows a lot of other behaviours (for online games) out of the water. So keep on rockin'

P.S. - can someone take a look at the any of the ranged enemy's tendency to run away? Water elementals in particular are pretty much:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed, have been saying it since the archers are here... at one point it should turn back and hand to hand... all it does by running away is delaying the inevitable while doing close to no damage.

Adam Crow, Nelzie and Beaumaris like this.
  10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

that is if you have all the archers infront of you, chasing an archer with one or two in the back is devastating and stressing, when they slow me it takes a while to get infront of the one I am chasing to then turn and start dodging again. I guess my choice to play "without" armor (13DR & 0 avoid)
    was a bad one :D

Love the replies here from the devs, informative :).

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ah yes I guess in some cases it can be a good strategy which is why I always advocated for variety of behaviors, most archers would get into defensive hand to hand combat mode which makes them last longer than running around aimlessly, and they deal more damage as a group... of course I think lower IQ monsters shouldn't have those behaviors, but kobolds shouldn't behave like skeletons for example.

Disgruntled likes this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

Or you know... curl up in a ball and weep/beg for mercy.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Adam Crow like this.
  13. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Just want to say, thanks for the responses! Definitely gives me warm and fuzzy feelings to learn that tweaks to the AI will be ongoing and knowing more of the ins and outs on AI development at Portalarium is helpful.

To clarify, I think what my main concern regarding "AI" is the load it takes on scenes, and why we cannot have "more pets, more (complex) vendors, more complex NPC behaviors, combative creatures in cities perhaps?" Those types of AI possibilities were what I meant as the bottleneck, and maybe I worded it incorrectly.

Scrambler and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

A critical thread and post, with in depth answers from devs, not attacking each other and derailments. This is what we need more of, not moderation.

15. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

are NPC mages not healing(or resurrecting) other NPC like 1 year ago'? (talking about AI) or i'm just me that have this impression?

16. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I hate Water Elementals. Sometimes, the deck is in my favor and I can blast off enough high damage attacks in the right order that even with their ability to spam near 100 or more Hit Points every... 12 seconds (it feels like that anyway) that I can get them knocked down. Most of the time though? I see Water Elementals and I just go the other way.. it's just not worth trying to beat on them for what could become a literal endless period of time while they run, heal, heal, heal run, hit me some more, heal, run, hit, heal, heal and heal again.

Worst MOBs yet.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Gerugon

Gerugon Avatar

Stun them.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We were just giving suggestions for the AI, the things you can do like root it in place we already know of :p

Nelzie likes this.
  19. Gerugon

Gerugon Avatar

If you already know how to deal with it then it's not really a problem is it. *tongue in cheek*
    But yeah i get what your going at, sorry for my attempt at humor =)

20. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

probably just want a teleport ;). Im kind of like LB, I dont "friend" people I dont know, so I need to adventure with someone or at least have a conversation before the friend list gets engaged. I hope no one thinks im being rude, but I reject a friend invite about once a day because I know its just people expanding their teleport network, and that doesnt feel friendly to me. It feels more like ... facebook *shudders*.

Alley Oop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.