Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Stats on Bacon are poor compared to cost to cook it. [Recipe Spoiler Alert]

Discussion in 'Release 52 QA Feedback Forum' started by Daxxe Diggler, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Stats of the new "Bacon" food:
    +2.5 Health Per Second for 20 Minutes
    +0.6 Combat Health Per Second for 20 Minutes

First off, the Bacon recipe requires:
    1 Chunk of coal, 1 Jar Cooking Oil, and 2 Pork Sausage Link. Coal is no biggy, but cooking oil is a costly item that I will reserve for better foods that give much better stats and last 4 hours. Also, to make the subcomponent Pork Sausage Link, it requires 4 curing salt and 2 pork meat to make 1 link... Bacon needs 2 links, so that costs you 8 curing salt - 64 gold - just to make that part (pork meat is free and fairly easy to get though).

As a comparison, Baked Salmon (which I still won't use because there are much better options) gives the same buffs, but for 40 minutes instead of 20... and it's ingredients are: 1 Chunk of coal, 2 Salmon Fillet, 1 Jar Cooking Oil, 1 Lemon, 1 Garlic. The Fillets are basically free (I get them in crates and barrels all over the place) and you get 4 fillets from 1 salmon. Same things with Lemons (you can plant a seed and grow a bunch fairly cheaply/easily if you need them, but I get them as loot a lot). 1 Garlic is nothing.

So, compare this Bacon recipe to the old Baked Salmon and the buff is not worth the cost/effort to make. I will only make a few for the crafting XP and as a novelty item... but won't make them to sell or use as a food buff. Simply not worth it compared to other options.

I do realize that there needs to be some kind of range of cooked food buffs and that not everything can be the "best" option. But this particular recipe needs some adjustment of ingredient costs to fit within the range of other foods already in game. Perhaps the Pork Links could require less curing salt and/or have an increased yield of 2 or 4 links? Or maybe the stats can be slightly improved to match the baked salmon duration... or maybe add +1 Dex or +1 Int for the duration to make it desirable? If it remains as is, it won't be used for more than a novelty.

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

That's really a shame....bacon should be spectacular! This is about the same level of quality as all the "crap" food you get in supply bundles that goes straight on the vendor.
    Agree though the cost of this food is extremely high for this effect; with that much fuel cost as well as cooking oil subcombine I'd say it needs to at least be on the lvl of the 2 hr +3 stat foods, if not higher.

Daxxe Diggler, Chatele and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Bacon should give a beserk effect to killing boars and pigs for more bacon.

4. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Bark bread is key to success, but only with 100k corpse wax on the side, while one is sorting their silver and gold scraps. Wait.. what?

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

If I could like that twice, I would! :D

Matt Harris and Mac2 like this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

IMHO most of the food effects need some diversification - there are so many recipes, but they all seem to be essentially the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.