Staying Sane While Farming Dolls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scoffer, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

There seems to a select few (certainly within the guild that claimed me) of us who have been farming dollies pretty much all weekend. I've tried a few different places but finally settled on Upper Tears as my potential doll capturing location and we have had at least 3 drop here at some point over the weekend so we at least know they are working. It seems that there are different levels of rarity for drops in sota, rather than use drop rates or percentages I have called these levels "Rare" and "kick you in the groin rare". These dolls appear to be the later with pointy shoes...

I personally have spent about 15 hours farming just this zone looking for dolls, my wife has spent about 12, a couple of others in the guild have spent 10+ hours and the hunt continues. The zone itself is pretty lucrative in terms of cotton, ore, garlic and nightshade so the I decided to basically just run in circles up and down each beach killing everything, getting everything and if I end up with a doll great. If not then at least I will have a bunch of stuff that I can use. The xp and cash drops are not bad either

So with this in mind I came up with a short list of things to do in upper tears to help keep your sanity* and to give you all a bit of an insight into how my weekend turned out.

Circuit 3
    Still full of hope I have now identified the most efficient route to take through the zone. I even had the wife come up with a map marking the locations of the zombie spawns in paint. Yes it looks like a 3 year old did it but it kinda works.

Circuit 14
    Got a doll! Gave it to someone for their birthday. Since it didn't take me too long to get the first one I figured they can't be that rare right? Right?!?

Circuit 34
    Getting a little bored now, decided to start naming the ulfwhatsits alphabetically by spawn locations. Albert, Bernard, Clive, Derek etc etc

Circuit 67
    Randomly decided to run up the campfire and start doing the old prospector dance with the mages. Clearly they cannot touch my dance moves and they turned aggressive in a fit of jealousy.

Circuit 74
    Steve hasn't been seen for the last few rounds. I suspect he has gone to the local store to get more shovels for me to loot....

Circuit 92
    Decided I should do a full round and only kill things using Stone Fist

Circuit 94
    Switch to Flame Fist

Circuit 114
    Steve is back! There was a tearful reunion as I greeted my old friend, we shared tales of what we had been up to before I stabbed him in the face and took a rusty fork from him. Clearly he had been missing because he went to lunch

Circuit 237
    Decided I should do this round and only kill the ulfwhatsits that had the same name as people I work with. This continued for the next 3 rounds. Sometimes I would backtrack to kill a certain one twice during that round.

Circuit 292
    Saw a cotton bush and deliberately didn't pick it. I know this would upset the wife so I pointed it out to her, waited for her to watch my screen and then just slowly walked away from it

Circuit 302
    The argument about leaving cotton bushes has died down a little now. Decided to start naming the cotton bushes and the ore nodes.

Circuit 497
    Wife has been watching me farm for about 8 hours and has taken pity and decided to go farm herself. She got a doll from the 3rd zombie she killed. I think I hate her.

Circuit 512
    Took off all weapons and punched a zombie to death with autoattacks. Did not appear to improve chances of getting a doll.

Anyway...the point of this post is to ask has anyone gotten a doll from a different zone or have these just been found in upper tears? I'm not asking where people *think* they should drop, looking for actual confirmation of "I got one here".

Cheers!

*sanity is not guaranteed to be kept

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Can you post a pic of this “doll”?

I have no idea what it is. Thanks!

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Scoffer made fun of my awesome zombie sightings map =(

NO, WE HAVE NOT SPENT TOO MUCH TIME FARMING DOLLS.
    Not at all.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. Vero

Vero Avatar

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

[​IMG]

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Creepy Doll is creepy
    [​IMG]

Here is Scoffer's alt, clutching it by the throat, like you do.

This was before giving it as a creepy birthday gift to Minerva - I think to be fair, Minerva spent as much time "optimizing" what outfit to wear as "childlike, creepy doll wielding Minerva" as Scoff spent farming it.

7. Griffler

Griffler Avatar

I have special punishment in mind for these Zombies once my Dungeon is in... And I thought the map was great, helped me learn the circuit! :D

FrostII, Gaelis, Vero and 1 other person like this.
  8. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Maybe she should switch to reaper cowbells now, more hate to be earned in case of early luck.
    Great posting BTW, I only fear that I will use UT att pauses to grind for dolls now

FrostII, kaeshiva, Scoffer and 2 others like this.
  9. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Is creepy doll a artifact?

Is creepy doll enchantable?

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Oh we did the exact same thing when cowbells were introduced so we are good on that front ;)

Yes its an artifact, No idea if its enchant able. I don't think its even something that people would want to go fighting in.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nice post fun read.

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I am just going to go test enchantability on the doll I got off my 3rd zombie now....;)

[​IMG]

It has no durability or anything
    Is not enchantable/masterworkable (doesn't show up as equippable)
    Not placeable as deco, but totally should be. Looks creepy when you pick it up with your cursor

[​IMG]

Really love this whole grasping it like I'm choking it to death thing

[​IMG]

13. Lace

Lace Avatar

HAHAH I laughed so hard cause this has happened to me.

Net, Fionwyn Wyldemane and kaeshiva like this.
  14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

15. Sales101

Sales101 Avatar

Very well written Scoffer. My family has been gone all weekend so I decided to play a few hours of Sota. I have spent countless hours in Tenebris harbor killing those pesky little children. After spending about 20 hours looking my wife has come home and is having me committed to the asylum. See you all when I see you.

Witcheypoo and Proteus Tempest like this.
  16. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Good info. Thanks

kaeshiva likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Any dollies in the former zombie horde (now more of a zombie gaggle) in East Vauben Foothills?

18. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I spent the day slaughtering the undead there yesterday, not a single one. Good 6 hours of play. I did end up with almost 300 alligator heads though....none of them pristine.

Jaesun and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  19. mass

mass Avatar

Would like to know this too as I much prefer that scene to UT.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My alt spent about 4 hrs there after which there was not a single tree, cottonbush, or ore spawning with any sort of frequency and I got bored killing/slaughtering pigs and chickens and moved on to other scenes.
    Zombie Children seem only to spawn 1) on the dock sometimes and 2) in the house with the pigs in front and its not 100%, the rest spawn as adult zombie.

I checked all the areas and spent a few hours in each where zombie children are noted to roam, including 'house on the hill' and settled upon Upper Tears as the best likely prospect. I've heard now of four confirmed drops in UT but haven't heard anyone confirm getting one elsewhere. Not saying it can't happen or hasn't happened, but Tears seems to be the best use of time due to other things to do while you're runnin around.

FrostII and Vladamir Begemot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.