Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Steam "content still encrypted" error, game won't update

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Quenton, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I'm running SotA through steam, but there is a pending update that is refusing to update. If I click the Download Now button in the updates section in Steam, it tries to update for a second, fails, and advances the timer to update 5 minutes later. 5 minutes later, it advances another 5 minutes, etc.

If I click Play and ignore the update, I get an error that says "An error occurred while updating Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (content still encrypted)".

I've restarted Steam, I've restarted my computer, I've checked for viruses, none of that has helped. Verifying doesn't work at all, it just gets stuck without actually starting. The progress bar doesn't move no matter how long it's left open.

A few people on Discord are reporting this happening to them, but nobody's taken much notice.

I read somewhere that something might be broken with the game's config. I'm not sure if most people who play SotA don't use Steam; that seems unlikely.

Using Windows 10 64-bit.

2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

Hi there - ia m also using steam and it works for me , but u didn't say u tried to uninstall and reinstall the game?

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

has happened a few times with me also - only solution I have found is In-Install steam game and redo it :-(

Does not take to long and is the ONLY fix I have found

4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I fixed this by closing steam, then:
    1.Delete the appmanifest_326160.acf file from .../steamlibrary/steamapps
    2.Open steam, then go into the steam library, click install on Shroud of the Avatar.

It came up with a discovering existing files dialog, then was fixed within a couple of minutes.

(A reinstall would have been an overnight job with my connection)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Oakenhammer and Rentier like this.
  5. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

This fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

Quenton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.