Steam Sale until Nov. 1st!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unicornslady, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not sure that's right. I think some Kickstarter tiers only included Episode 1. I think you had to get up around the $80 mark to get Episodes 2 & 3.

2. moko

moko Avatar

Hm, you're right, my bad. Still, I am happy for every new player who tries the game so I can't say I am unhappy about it being on sale :)

Canterbury likes this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Perhaps Steam can't set it without some kind of input from the developer, though, from what I understand they do have leeway in how and who they put on sale. It is interesting to think that Portalarium set the 50% off price. That tells me that they would like a quick influx of money and/or the publicity they might get on other sites for having such a low price. I hope it doesn't bite them in the rear, because low prices can also give off a negative impression.

Yes, Steam is a service with many heads. They do distribution. They are an online retailer. A social community. They make an operating system. They also perform some of the publisher's role, which is promotion of a game.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It does suggest a need for cash and, I agree, low prices can give off a negative impression. That's been the reason I chimed in here; I absolutely agree with that. I also think it's a hard thing to get away from. Once you've slashed the price once, you're known as "that game that will be on sale every few months", moreso than a premium product. And my comment there is that's a heck of a place to be, prior to official release.

It can be seen as wearing many hats, because it performs many functions, but it's not the publisher in any official sense. If a legal case came up involving a Steam user of SotA, for example, and the publisher of SotA had to appear in court... that publisher would be Portalarium, not Steam. Not something I expect to see happen, mind you, but just in terms of business, in terms of the law, Portalarium is SotA's sole publisher.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Even "premium" products still have their price cut eventually. I have been collecting several "Game of the Year" edition under $20 knowing I wouldn't have much time playing them. Why so gloomy when the price got cut? Shouldn't we be rejoiced that the account is now much cheaper to obtain for a limited time?

I mean... I've seen Dyson putting their vacuum on sales so many times through out the years since they have been in business and yet they're still going strong in making many premium grade vacuum machines in the market right now.

6. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

You can't put your games up for sale in STEAM without having some sort of agreement before hand. I am pretty sure Port had to agree to sales BEFORE they put their game up on steam.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

Besides, unless something has changed, buying the game from steam isn't like a bundle you can upgrade and get lots of neat stuff. It's kind of "get you in the door" price anyway.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Actually, a Steam pledge is basically the lowest "bundle", just with no bonuses. They *will* be able to upgrade them to another bundle in the near future. This came up in one of the recent Telethon videos.

Bom and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

You used the key word... eventually. Meanwhile, here in SotA land, everyone's always banging on about how the game isn't ready and how it's still in alpha (it's not, it's in early release, but I digress), and so on.

Now, people can't have their cake and eat it, too. They can't talk about how the game isn't ready on one hand, but rejoice about a price cut on the other. 50% off happens eventually... not before you actually launch.

So "why so gloomy"? Because I think it sends a poor sign to the market. Not only are reviews on Steam the absolute pits (including tons from people who've logged hundreds of hours), but now the price is slashed.

Port can, of course, do whatever the heck it likes, but it doesn't look good. That's all I'm saying. I don't wear rose coloured glasses when discussing this game any more. It's just an unvarnished, honest opinion.

wagram, Kaisa and LoneStranger like this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Well... would you be happier if they increase the price to $80 per copy?

11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

How does something that would never actually happen relate to what we're discussing, which is something that not only could happen, but is happening?

It's as simple as this... the price up until now has been the price. Now, with a large price cut, still before launch, a certain impression has been given to the market.

12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Steam has had MANY sales for SotA the entire time its been listed on Steam. This isn't anything new nor is it very surprising for Steam in general.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...m-or-not-to-steam-that-is-the-question.21147/ - enderandrew's comment references one of the Steam Sales from early last year.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/24hr-steam-sale.32284/ - flash 24 hour sale
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/buying-from-steam.32082/ - question about buying SotA during summer sale

This isn't anything new, nor is it something to be overly concerned with in my opinion. I've seen plenty of AAA getting random 50% sales as well, it doesn't mean much about the state of their game either. If it was a permanent price cut, that would be a completely different story and I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.

13. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

SotA is just one of many, many games participating in Steam's Halloween Sale Event and the sale ends in just a couple of days.

These infrequent sales of SotA in Steam gives those of us that may hesitate at the $45-$40 regular price to give it a try. It was during a Christmas sale on Steam two years ago that got me to try. After I tried SotA out my hubby & son wanted to play too! And after that, I've bought SotA via Steam as gifts for other family members & friends during the occasional sale. :)

Gaelis, Zader, Mata and 1 other person like this.
  14. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Sorry Canterbury, but the regular price isn't always the price. SotA has been involved with occasional short time half price sales on Steam for at least two years.

15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

On the bright side.. you can pay $20 on steam, then upgrade to elven bundle for $5, you get elder fighter armor ($20 worth) and essentially a $5 game access.

16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well that makes it even worse, IMHO. If what you say is right, that takes us back into genuine alpha territory (not the pseudo-alpha territory people get confused by now), and half-off during alpha is... wow. Just wow.

17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

No need to get emotional over this. Steam is having Halloween sales starting from Oct 28 until Nov 1. SotA is just one of many other early access games that participate in the sales.

18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Why are you assuming I'm getting emotional? I suppose you can read it that way in your mind, but you'd be wrong. Read what I said in a flat, neutral tone and it will be closer to how I mean it. Thanks.

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

My bad. I had to play your sentence on TTS to understand your neutral tones. There were some "wows" and a bunch of points expressing concerns and insecurities over the price change during steam sales and that caused my confusion.

Also, the MSRP wasn't $40 until after the final wipe where all pledge expired btw. It was $45 before in order to match the most basic pledge. Also during last huge steam sales, the game wasn't on sales. I know that because I've been keeping an eye on them and buy more account every time the sales event happen. Why pay $40+ to get your friends to try if you can pay $20 every other special occasion.

20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

And this view illustrates one of the big issues I have with the game. Instead of buying the game, it's more seen as buying a platform that lets you buy more digital goods. It's so frustrating.

Here are some recommendations. Buy SOMA. And The Talos Principle. And if you want to see a game with a good cooking system, give Aquaria a try.

Kaisa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.