Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sticky targeting does not work properly with targets placed at different ranges (build 417)

Discussion in 'Release 30 Bug Forum' started by helm, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helm

helm Avatar

5/27/2016 1:19 PM
    Title:
    Sticky targeting does not work properly with targets placed at different ranges.

Reproduction Rate:
    Always

Blocker?
    No

Details:
    Sticky targeting works without major glitches when there are multiple targets at roughly similar ranges.

However, when there are several targets at varying ranges, sticky targeting breaks down, basically forcing the target hairball onto a nearby target.

Steps to Reproduce:
    A pictured example of this is shown in the spoiler below.
    Here I'm targeting a gustball, which is at a distance but well within range. I can shoot the ball just as expected. An Oracle Big Brother mechanical spider wanders by behind me.

[​IMG]

When the spidery thing gets past a certain angle (which is quite wide), the red target hairball jumps onto it, even though I have the targeting reticle (the small dot) directly on the original target. This shouldn't happen!

[​IMG]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8) System RAM: 15967
    GPU: GeForce GTX 870M/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 3GB
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.417.Date.05.26.16

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. Softlocking is still undergoing polish and changes, one of which will be the rules for alternating targets.

3. helm

helm Avatar

Thank you. Just to be clear,
    • I experience zero weirdness with softlocking. As a targeting mechanism, softlocking works pretty well (it's just the "hit the Esc key to release softlock, and no you can't remap it" UI glitch that makes it largely unusable in practice, but that's not related to how well the softlock targeting itself works)

• This bug relates only to sticky targeting: When you have your reticule directly over a target that is well within range, with nothing in between, then that's the one that should be targeted. Now that is clearly not the case (it worked OK in R29).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.