Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Still having memory leak

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Draco, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draco

Draco Avatar

I am still having a significant memory leak since the release patch. It's a creeping type, takes and hour or so, but it is significant.

Tamsen and FrostII like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I believe they said it was a Unity issue... they are waiting for a fix from Unity... I guess, until that fix arrives, we'll have to endure...

Elwyn and Sentinel2 like this.
  3. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

A restart every couple of hours, with a cup of tea and a leg stretch is my current plan. Game fizzes for a while after that, as do I :)

LiquidBlaze and Elwyn like this.
  4. Draco

Draco Avatar

Tbh, that's really no excuse after all this time. if I can run a game like Overwatch in almost all the highest settings, then I should be able to run this easily without issues. They really need to delve deeper into this.

What I believe is happening is that the game is using the computer memory and not even or barely touching the GPU memory. I have 8GB on my video card alone, yet it ramps up to eat 97% of my system memory. That's an issue.

5. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

Lol. Overwatch.

[​IMG]

Recommended 6 GB ram for Overwatch.

My game doesn't really hitch at all anymore actually now you mention it. I hadn't really thought much about it til now but before the last patch I was constantly restarting to clear the hitching.

Will have to check it out later!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The issue is traced back to the engine level in which SotA is using Unity. In these past years, they had Unity flew some of their engineers over to Austin a few times to collect information to go fix stuff on their end. It's going to take Unity as long as it takes unfortunately.

Overwatch is using its own proprietary engine, so they wouldn't have the same memory issue that Unity-based games would have.

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

But Overwatch is an FPS? You're just playing over and over in the same canned zones? You don't even have non-combat towns to run around, as far as I know, much less deco. That's like complaining that a semi truck with a fully loaded trailer uses more fuel than a pickup truck with your groceries in back. SotA is like "Second Life lite" in many ways, which is why it needs both more CPU and GPU.

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Don't draw internal deco if a player isn't standing on that lot? The massive performance hit to dislaying every single deco on every single lot within visual range is excessive. There must be culling options. I would much rather see a player model and their nameplate at extreme range, rather than load the crap in 20 houses I'm running away from.

Underhanded players already taken advantage of causing a "black hole" effect in PVP fights by luring you toward a housing region with massive deco/items launch around.

9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

There is deco culling enabled as far as I know though.

10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

And since the levels in Overwatch are static, they can do all sorta of tricks, like baking things like lighting in, instead of doing it dynamically..

Plus it's a custom engine AFAIK - so they're not relying on a 3rd party for improvements, fixes, tweaks, customization.

Not to mention they have a ton of $$ and employees.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Elwyn and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.