Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Still no fix for Kill Jumping?

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Weins201, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Was just fighting a Large Red Spider and a guy runs up, does like 50 points dmg, kills it and get EXP, yeah so much want to keep playing Multi Player - phfft NOT.

I just hope SP has like 1/2 exp when game goes live otherwise why bother with multi?

2. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

I haven't checked this out yet, but... if I fight spiders and someone jumps in, gets a hit or two in and gets XP... is the XP I get lowered, as in spread between me and the other players? I never tested this, and I know different games handle this differently, so I was wondering.

Tahru likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Your "chat" box tells you exactly how much experience you get for each kill. Red Spiders are 1k, Large Red Spiders are 1800. Anything less means you shared the points.... :cool:

Tahru and Net like this.
  4. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

Thank you! I of course was aware that my chat log tells me that info, yet I tend to not pay attention when grinding, and since no one jumped in on any kill yet, I didn't have a chance yet to check, thats why I asked whether XP is shared in general when people do that. =)

Tahru likes this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

last hit get all exp.

KuBaTRiZeS, Tahru and Net like this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I hope that is confined mainly to "noobs" who don't know any better. Decent etiquette dictates that if someone is in a battle, unless they need help you leave them to it, and don't grab the XP for essentially nothing.

(OK, I'm an idealist:rolleyes:)

7. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I like your opinion but I fear this is only a dream.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

The issue here is multifold.

If you skin animals, they respawn quicker, but if you kill them but away from where they are spawning, someone else runs there an start killing them... are you supposed to leave them to newcomer, or finish them off? Especially if newcomer only runs around map, killing everything but not skinning (and thus not helping with respawn)?

Other issue is that we have very few maps and even fewer good maps. I counted 30ish players in Deep Ravenswood once, for every location with NPCs there were several players, it was hard not to steal kill...

I think that map like Deep Ravenswood is good for up to 8 (high level) players. Three people can kill wolves, three people can kill spiders, one can kill bears, one can kill skeletons. The respawn rates if you skin animals and loot reagents and resources are good enough. It might allow perhaps ten players. Once there is more than ten players however, the spawn rates will force people to compete for animals to kill. Not to mention that all animals are equal in XP. Most people want to cherry puck Large spiders and Obsidian wolves, they are easy to kill and provide lots of XP. Those Bears and Timber Wolves provide less XP without being significantly easier to kill (and time to skin them is the same).

So, I think that we need either significantly larger maps (I cannot imagine faster spawn rates) or way more high-level maps. Friends-only mode seems to be best for gathering so far, it should allow party to share XP without interference from others.

9. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

proof of this concept in a dev text, etc

Tahru likes this.
  10. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

was probably me, to which i say, blame the design.

Tahru likes this.
  11. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I think, ideally, helping someone should not make them mad at you.

What's the point of multiplayer if it discourages interacting with each other?

Katrin Bekers [PeV] and Tahru like this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd have to agree with this sentiment.

gw2, when i played it, did it two ways. first it was based strictly on the percentage of damage done to the mob and the percentage of the xp gained for that player.. then twinked players would come out and one-hit 'em and just go do that for just about all mobs in the zone..and rack up a TON of little-bits of xp...

so the second way they did it, both players, if they committed to the fight and did at least something like 15% or more of the damage, got full xp for it. at the same time they introduced the scaling, so a level 80 could go to a newbie zone, have their skills and weapons, but only do scaled damage, but still get decent XP..so they could group with their friends who were new to the game. it kept things challanging and rewarding both.

i'd also like to see if someone stands back and is just healing you, they get xp for the kill too, even if they don't use a weapon.

Tahru and Sir Cabirus like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The solution is near
    [​IMG]

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  14. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I think the healer argument is a good one, purely because as a priest, in battle grounds, my role while useful was rarely rewarded. In fact, I'd say I had to do so much as a twice the amount of time to achieve a result, that said, rewarding healers, for doing healing, even if no better then the group bonus (obviously not something stipened against someone who doesn't know they are being healed)

I genuinely hate that healers always get the shaft, it's the reason why people hate playing them in the first place. I can be a mediocore dps, or I can heal my ass off, while I chose to heal my ass off, and my rewards for that are dependant on the success of my friends and what they will leverage back to me. It puts you in a fool-hearty situation where you are in a master:slave paradigm, versus me and you have accomplished.

Though, that paradigm has the benefits of social niceties because people will group with those that take the time heal, while at the same time, genuinely not care, that there is little to no benefit for the healer himself.

Ultima by wide-and-large always had an open healing system, or systems, which was nice since it didn't require someone to play "*****" to another player.

The only real problem with that well beyond the obvious mental one, is that healing and healers on average are trading a vast amount of skill merely to prolong someones chance of not dying, particularly in this game, and a few other of (the similar development team, hate to kinda poo poo talk, but --- yeah, on average I would say this aspect is either as intended, or over-looked, and probably the former, rather then the later.)

There should be a group up advantage, the same way there should be a healer advantage, I am sick of games leveraging cons against me for things that are naturally inherent in their systems, case and point is any of the tactics stances take something away and drastically so, revealing that while they want you to succeed, they clearly want you to have a reason not to, all at the same time. And While interesting in concept, when anything is taken to a maxim, it is typically a bad thing. Abilities you'll never see me use, reckless stance, Passive Stance (for regen), etc, etc, The idea of having minor consequences is one thing, but typically and from what I have seen, the cons in this are coded very harshly, on top of not having an in point investment to change the time of the buff, see: 60 seconds for any movement based penalty is kind of poopy in a game that requires me to chase mobs as well. That's a pretty big huge cache-22 that requires me to either play without the skill (easily, and not a problem, and will very easily continue to do in the future) versus trying to use the ability only to be getting kited by something silly. And doubly punished on account of you not being able to hit any enemy in motion and have connecting effects on abilities.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I feel your pain. Healers and tanks are thankless positions most of the time.

gaylike21 likes this.
  16. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

its one thing to team fight and win against things that have bragging rights, it's another to basically be expected, yet never awarded on that expectation. *cough* wehrhiemer *cough*

Tahru likes this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There IS a group-up advantage, mobs yield additional exp.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.