Still no mounts :-(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jem3299, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

Havn't played in a few months. Thought I'd pop back in to see what has changed. Very disappointed to find that there are still no mounts in this game. Not about fast travel or anything. Just want to ride around on a horse. Don't tell me to go and ride my pretend coconut horse, either. Always kinda took that as a bit insulting as not all folks who want mounts want them for speed. I want them for RP.

I guess I'll check back in a few more months, but very disappointed that almost every other game out there has mounts of some kind except this one. Just wanted the devs to know that while I love that they are trying to give us some nostalgia for UO in the game, that it just doesn't cut it for me if I cant have mounts and pack animals and all of that for a night out in the wilderness harvesting.

2. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

no fear Jem! .. a special team is creating finally mountable horses!
    [​IMG]

BTW... Just joking... i also want these horses.. but developer team say a lot of times that mountable horses doesn't appears on EPISODE 1

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh sorry your wanted feature is missing from the game. I bought all the stretch goals which included mounts so I do have the horses. We did get the beginning tech for horses and boating which is the ability to move a character. The new tech can be found in several scenes as a log ride and mine carts we can ride. Now this may not seem like a big deal but I can tell you it was a very big deal. Finally huge progress in tech. So like all of us waiting on our features you can join us in the wait, but with hope renewed for what's to come. Mounts and boating are not here but in the horizon. So either check back later or come check out tons of new things I'm Majoria in game if I can ever help.

Edited to say log ride down the river and we have elevators as well and geysers and air pockets that shoot you towards the sky.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. I personally don't expect mounts to be available at all in Episode 1 of the game. Maybe Portalarium will surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath.

Luckily, mounts are not one of the features I value in this kind of game. I did enjoy mounts back in the day when I played Skyrim, but it ended up being very annoying to me that I couldn't go everywhere or do everything while mounted, so at the end I usually didn't bother.

I know that a lot of people do want mounts, so for their sakes I hope that riding horses does materialize in Episode 1.

Chatele, Hornpipe, Cordelayne and 7 others like this.
  5. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I don't expect there to be an episode 2 at this point

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's too bad that you're hung up on mounts because there's a lot of fun things in SotA now.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Mounts were never within scope of EP1 Just like sailing ships weren't either. They will come eventually, but don't expect them "soon"

8. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

Yeah, I get it. Just wanted the Devs to know how an ole UO addict felt about them. I know this isn't UO, but when they try to emulate it so close as to even implement so much that is similar, but leave the best out of it, like building, non-instanced world, mounts, etc. Then it really looses all of its charm for me. It's not UO but it's not something new either. Mounts and pack animals might be enough to entertain me as I loved the peacefulness of a couple hours of almost non-stop harvesting and exploring. But all we have now is an unbalanced, so-so crafting system using purchased models that anyone can get on an open source game engine that anyone can get, with so-so pve combat using the most inexpensive, old-school stock art that money can buy. Not impressive. So I end up spending all my time recalling to transport limited materials back to a house I didn't build on a plot that was way too expensive for its size, over and over to do what with? Build the exact same stuff, at a loss, that everyone else builds to put on the exact same vendor that everyone else has? Or I could just mindlessly kill npcs over and over in static scenarios to get gold that I could use to buy the same stuff off the same vendors that everyone else has? This game has been in development way too long for what they have shown. We don't even have great character creation or even different clothes, unless of course you want to purchase them with real money. I've see them bring in millions of dollars and then try to sell those of us who have been supporting them a simple outfit for $10. Which might not be so bad if there weren't so few to choose from. We all look alike in the game! I'm sorry, I loved the thought of this game, but it's just not doing it for me like I hoped it would. Hundreds of dollars donated and seemingly wasted.

9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Mate, we don't even have a basic set of quests properly sorted out as we enter the fifth year of game development... I wouldn't be getting too uptight about mounts not being in the game yet. They'll be ages off -- if ever -- I'd wager.

10. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

wait? mine carts? Robocow can save us! ..
    [​IMG]

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Salix like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh don't give up yet. Today wandering Serpents Spine mine with a friend and finding all the little secret cubby holes was really magical. We trod the unbeaten path, fell from heights into a pool and floated down an amazing waterfall. I say to all those who are not to be swept away with their imagination, that is their own fault, and perhaps come see it through those who can. This game has not even begun and again I say to all doubters, just wait and see, and you all will. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  12. reuge

reuge Avatar

We could all lie in bed and stare at our ceiling if we had the kind of imagination you imagine. Don't need this game. But I would prefer to imagine I am the crown prince of Bhutan instead with my pittance of imagination.

uhop, Pikegirl, Salix and 3 others like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes well no worries, we all look at things in different ways. I have been here a long time and am still involved in the game. I have a lot of patience and faith, but not everyone does have that and not for this game. I've seen it since the chicken room, when there was nothing else. :) It has been quite a journey to get to here. To some perhaps this is just another game to them and that is perfectly fine. There will be more games coming out always to check out. This game will not be for everyone. No game is. I cannot tell you how many games I have played. The list would be soooooo long. *cheers* Take care.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

.. sorry to hear that.
    But mounts i dont see them actually coming into play for a long time.
    And that being said, with the current game.. what good would mounts actually be? The largest scene is bloodbay and its the first one that might actually justify the need of one. Meaning 1 / 300 + instances maaaybe i could see it. With the ability to log out right to world map, and the majority of the instances being sized to a max of 5 people.. or taking a max time of 35 seconds to run to an exit from any given point... what good are mounts?
    The world map? lets be honest.. the majority of people setup near where they want to play. I go from Just outside Central brit, to owls head.. and maaaybe to ardoris. The run from ardoris to brit takes the longest at maybe 4 minutes? And even then i teleport/ recall..

I like mounts, but seriously what application would they be in SOTA other then to sit on while your afk so you *look cool* on the world map?

15. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

I respectfully disagree. :) The devs are hiring, adding content at a feverish pace - all signs are pointing toward a ramp up, not down.

16. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Getting overly passionate about a game could lead to an overly myopic view of the game. Dismissing someone's point of view with a "this might not be the game for you/them" really does not seem to be an ideal way to discuss this.

I don't think it's wrong for people to appreciate the "journey" of the devs since and don't dispute that they've come a long way since the beginning. I do share that admiration to some extent. However, I personally didn't pay money to admire the journey the devs have taken but to play a game that they promised a few years ago.

The devs are not my children nor are they my students where I'd admire their growth and forgive their shortcomings, they're a company that needs to deliver a product. Their latest promised launch will be coming soon and it's normal for people to worry/discuss about the state of the game.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Here is where we have some differences. I personally paid money to be part of the journey the devs have taken to make the game. If I just want to just play fully polished games that I can jump in and play right away, I would just spend $20 on Steam Sales on some AAA games instead. I mean... they clearly iterated in many places that the game is in development and there are things that very rough and crappy. There are also favorable features that may get nerfed in the near future in the name of balancing. If someone were to go ahead and paid for the game anyway, that's kinda partly on them as well.

While it's normal for people to have concern here and there, voice out their concerns, then move on, I don't think this should be something that worth losing sleep over. At the end of the day, this is a game. Either one play or one don't and go do something else. I mean. Consider the stuff going on in real world, I think there are several real world issues that people should be really concerned compare to the progress of one game development.

As for specific issue with the mount. Maybe right now it is not cleared to some people that mount won't be part of the scoped of episode 1 along with several other features (sailing, flexible home placement, packed animals, etc)?

Hornpipe, Elwyn, Numa and 4 others like this.
  18. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Haha. Yes. I didn't mean to sound totally cold hearted in my previous post. It's hard to convey nuances in forum posts.

I too pledged in good faith in part to support the developers for their idea and vision in developing but ultimately hope to have a polished game. I don't think I would have pledged if I didn't think the devs could deliver a game in the end. I also fully accept and understand that the game might not turn out the I envision it to.

Feedback is part and parcel of even fully released games. So it's no surprise that one should see even more of it in an early access where there is a bigger chance to influence the final outcome of the game (or be part of the development journey as you might say).

Heh. And I totally agree that there are definitely bigger issues to contend with in real life. That's why we discuss these minor fun issues in the forums. I too hope that no one is losing too much sleep over this (besides the devs).

19. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Not to overly offend those that fall into the category, but many of the more heavy posters on this forum are into this game for 4 - 5 digits and at this point would likely find something good to say about a texture made from used toilet paper. As many less invested posters have noted, the game is awash in missed objectives and mediocre gameplay. It is quite possible that the devs will deliver an excellent game, but I wouldn't recommend letting the folks in these parts gauge the odds of that happening.

20. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

I've play my own fair share of games in my life, and am very deeply vested in seeing game development and watching a game grow. SoTA was no different.

But my personal feeling is that the base game is too shallow. The builds are similar out of the warrior, mage and petmaster archetypes (which ppl won't touch with a 10 foot pole), while itemization is boring, with players' equipment being the same old same old.

More than half the skills are not able to combo or be linked in a fun game way, We were told "...wait, wait, as we will drastically change the last 20%". But why can't the base game be the priority of a major game like SotA?

Why must the base game playability be put below the priority of visuals, shop items, housing skins, or various scenes in the world etc? Isn't a game supposed to be a deep game at its base first?

I will give SotA more respect and leeway if the devs spend more time on the basics and create a solid foundation for all other visual parts of the game to be put on.

I cannot say that now with honesty; unless blind faith or biased track records is brought in. I say it as it is, from what the development in the last few months have been with SotA's actual gameplay minimally touched on, and the possibilities of a viable "unique" sandbox character paper-thin at best. (note: I for one, am a Safefalling dual-wielding Necromancer splashed with a GM pet.)

Please make a good game first. And base other aspects on it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Preachyr, Tracker, Numa and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.