Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Still stuttering jankiness FPS drops.

Discussion in 'Release 35 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

10/22/2016 2:55 AM
    Title: Still stuttering jankiness FPS drops
    Reproduction Rate: ?
    Blocker? yes
    Details: This is pretty much a known issue but I'll report it purely to make sure it's still on the table. For no apparent reason, you can drop from a good FPS 30 - 60 to 1 - 10 FPS for a second or so and then back up. This makes the game borderline unplayable at times. It's not only frustrating but you can actually die because of it in PVE and PVP. This issue should be number one and fixed immediately.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 24533
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti GPU RAM: 2016
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.405.Date.10.20.16
    Area: Novia_R3_City_Brittany_Fields
    Loc: (537.1, 44.7, 250.9)

Note: Because my motherboard fried while playing the first QA Build my specs have increased slightly so your logs will show my FPS has increased some. However, I am still experiencing the random FPS drops. Mainly in NPC towns but sometimes on the overland or combat areas.

2. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I still see that as well...

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If possible, whenever you see this performance issue occur, could you use the /debug command to see if there are any errors or console messages getting spammed that could instigate this issue? You mentioned you upgraded your system hardware. Just to be certain, have you made sure all of your device drivers are up to date?

What video quality settings are you playing on? Does the issue improve at lower settings, or is it still observable even on "Fastest".

We are aware of the performance issues observed in content dense scenes or those with large draw distances such as Cities and Overland Maps. We continue to make Performance and Stability our highest priority.

4. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I usually try and look for errors on the debug menu. As far as I'm aware my drivers are all properly installed I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. I'm using auto interesting enough I get worse performance on fastest in general.

5. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

I've had this for a while, even posted videos of it previously in the bug forums. I personally don't understand why it's not a priority. All my friends experience it, and I have been unable to convince new players to join me in SOTA who have watched it happen as I play. It's frustrating.

I've tried different computers, graphic cards, settings, blah blah. Alway a random stutter. Similar to the nameplate bugs, etc. of the past. This one has been persistent for a long time.

the stutter looks like the run around video in this thread (the name plate was resolved):
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-19-second-stutter.56039/#post-603490

My camera's usual pattern:
    Fighting fighting.. staring at ground suddenly.. Fighting moving.. staring at sky suddenly.. move move .. repeat

6. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

I am doubly sad that you are still seeing it in qa35.. This is the only fix I look forward to with each release. I guess this means, yet another month of it. Poop.

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

if possible, please include system specs for us to continue our investigation. The consistent frame loss, if this is the issue you're describing, was a known issue, and one that will have to wait for a fix from Unity to address.

Performance and stability remains our top priority for review and resolution. Some issues are simply more difficult to nail down and resolve than others.

Thank you for reporting.

8. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Hey Attenwood, thanks for the reply!

I have posted specs previously in other bug reports I've filed for this, example:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 16336
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8144

Honestly its not that. I've tried different computers, vid cards etc. It doesn't seem to be a frame rate issue (well, you will obviously drop rates when it occurs, but rates dont seem to be the cause). I can be running around at 40,50,60 fps doesn't matter and just be hit with a sudden bought of a stutter. One where you are turning your camera to pan or look and then suddenly, instantly, you are staring at the ground or somewhere off in a random direction and then its back to normal. Its a hiccup. A stutter. I tried giving an example of it in the video I linked to.

It's almost like a heartbeat or script or something if firing every so often or triggered by something and thats when it occurs.

I will record some better ones this weekend.

This is severely disorienting and frustrating when you are just about to use a skill or make a move during a battle and them bam, stutter, you lose your target, die, etc..

This happens everywhere.. In towns, in pve scenes, across all lands. Like I've said before im in it for the long haul and I have rosy glasses from my love of ultima, but the new ppl I show this off too just don't want to deal with that while trying to pvp, or rp or whatever else - so I would love to help do anything I can to resolve it.

Videos soon. My new gtx1080 arrives tomorrow, the last one just went up in smoke. yay.

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

It doesn't seem to occur offline as far as I can tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.