Stone blocks crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by istyrl, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

I think the dev who put together the quantities of granite blocks needed for crafting stone blocks certainly did it after a heavy telethon... (too much drinking, not enough dancing? ;)

One stone block requires 5 granite blocks, does not make much sense, but lets keep that number as a reference
    this is the 1/1/1 reference lets call it block 1
    a block 1x1x2 requires 22 granite block but it is equivalent to 2 block 1 ...oops...
    a block 1x2x2 requires 20 granite blocks but it is equivalent to 4 block 1...right!
    a block x4x1 requires 15 granite blocks but it is equivalent to 4 blocks 1...ooooops
    a block 1x4x2 requires 25 granite blocks but it is equivalent to 8 blocks 1...oooooooops

I could go on listing all blocks available, but you get my point, the quantities are completely crazy, could we have a bit of consistency?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I agree. I also don't understand why they can't be salvaged. How can I not get granite out of blocks, pavers, etc?

Spoon likes this.
  3. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well...most of the time you are getting granite by hitting a node with your pickaxe…so I would guess you are getting at best rough stones but honestly fragments are more likely.
    By patching e.g. 5 of these fragments together you are forming one solid stone block...so generally it could make sense that you need 5 granite to create one block.

Nevertheless I agree too that there is something wrong with the numbers but it is the same with many values (e.g. weight). I think as long as the devs are still working on creating mechanics that are needed for the release they do not have the time to seriously start balancing and I would guess thats why we still see these unbalanced values.

Same with salvaging. I'm quite sure we will be able to salvage most of the items but adding items to the database to make that possible isn't one of the highest positions on their list. ;)

Olthadir likes this.
  4. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Well does not make sense at all to make a stone block out of the granite fragments without using some kind of cement, but...fine, I have placed that in the same box than making a marble bench with granite and wax ;)
    What this implies, is that in order to save granite (I use A LOT) i create blocks that require less granite and pile them up to re-create the same items that would require absurd amounts of granite, hence increasing the number of items on lots and therefore on POT...Loading time optimization is on their to do list i think ;)
    cqfd?

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I suspect it has something to do with how recipes work? Since each one has to be unique, the only thing they can do is change the number of granite needed, and eventually things had to start requiring larger and larger amounts. Probably would make more sense to have added in additional ingredients and required tools to increase the number of unique combinations that require lower granite amounts.

Nelzie likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I tried stacking these things and suddenly had great respect for the people that build with them. They aren't of uniform size, and really a pain to use.

7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

What was the general explanation for unreasonable actions in games…oh, I know…it’s magic. :D
    But it is even more unreasonable that you get during maltreat a chopper node with your pickaxe a consistent block of stone so either we are patching fragments or the current source of stones will have to change. Maybe this is even already in preparation as there are here and there already pure stone nodes and maybe in the future you will not or just rarly get granit from metal nodes.

Hehe, true but I personally think the just granite case is a placeholder and in the future we will see different kinds of stones like it is with wood and ore…but I honestly don’t think we will see this change in ep1.

But of course these are just speculations and we will see what the future holds. ;)

8. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

Just to clarify, this one is actually right on target. ;)

for the mathematically impaired here's why: 4 x 5 = 20

istyrl likes this.
  9. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Hahaha true that is probably the only one :)

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@istyrl
    Well it really depends on which ones you are making. Yes they don't make any sense but for the bigger ones there is a big discount.
    The funniest is that the taller they are the more discount you get so stay away from the wide ones.
    So I'd guess that most block crafters would be kinda furious if you got them to change it to more correct values.
    :p;)

Here you have a table the second column (xx) is the calculated *5 cost, where the last column is the actual cost in the recipes.
    I highlighted cheap in green and expensive in red.
    • Arch
      • 1x6x6 (140) 150
    • Blocks
      • 1x1x1 (5) 5
      • 1x1x2 (10) 22
      • 1x2x2 (20) 20
      • 1x41x (20) 15
      • 1x4x2 (40) 25
      • 1x4x4 (80) 62
      • 2x2x2 (40) 52
      • 2x4x4 (160) 100
      • 4x4x4 (320) 200

11. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Oh, I am not concerned too much about block crafters , we are a few to use them to really make constructions out of them (meaning constructions with levels) and i think most of us have miner friends, granite blocks are a pain for them, impossible to sell, so heavy, and useless for most people ;), I just do not like crazy maths
    and 5 as a reference number is too high anyway should be 1, there is no market for granite blocks except for crafting few statues and benches, some stone blocks to make a wall in your lot. Made me laugh when i tried to buy 3000 of them recently , and teh seller told me he could not go down below 13k gold, I think he will keep his blocks for a loooong time before he gets somebody crazy needing more than 20k to build a church :D and even though, nobody would buy granite at more than a gold or two at these quantities anyway if buying any

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  12. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Back when we could research recipes... (which I thought might stay in game), that made perfect sense. Now, we should be able to just select the recipe and then click on craft, assuming we have the right ingredients in our inventory.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Right. But I think most (or all) of stone recipes are still discoverable that way. I'd rather not start Port down that road, and end up losing all discoverable recipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.