"Story Release" End of July? Is it ready? I don't think so. Do you?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Vyrin, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

@LordBritish - any change of heart on this? I think it is crucial to improving the story experience.
    I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 (beta) and they use a lot of this technique to create atmosphere.

2. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Excellent post OP! I hope Portalarium takes your feedback to heart and makes umprovements.

I'm not very interested in questing/stories in video games, but I am right now going through the love questline just so that I can experience Necropolis and Malice.

From that perspective, my main complaint about the quest sustem is the awful UI and the wsy we just click on a word or short phrase to get the npc to respond.

Also, by the time your character is strong enough to do Malice, the XP you get for completing quests is laughable - my limited playtime is much better spent just grinding.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Tolkien, like any gifted storyteller, would use his chosen medium to best effect. To say he would be limited simply because he could do that then and would not be allowed to do it now, does a disservice to the intelligence and talents he possessed.

Vyrin likes this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Those are my main issues with the quest system in SotA.

I came across a scene that I got in for the first time and one the NPC was asking me story bits like I was already involved in whatever conflict that NPC was part of. My only choices were to lie or tell the truth by telling that NPC info I never had.

It was bad way, way back when the game first started having quests and it's still horrible to this day.

Story release (a term that is unique to SotA) refers to a stage in game development where the writing/scripting is put in the game. It's disjointed and lacks sustenance but it's there and "working"... now they need to polish it and bring everything up the surface so that things become more clear.

They have every intention of reworking everything they've put in the game.

This is not a "come along and experience the story as we intended it" thing, more like "we got all of the story dialogue in the game; come and help us do trial runs!"

I am worried because I would've thought that they'd rework the dialogue system a long time ago... but this is pretty standard for development builds.

For good reasons. This isn't a novel but an interactive, visual medium. I don't want to read that Legolas looked sad, I want to SEE IT. I want to come to my own conclusions based on my own observations instead of being told what I see.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Vyrin and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol, I see what you did there Gix...hilarious! :D

Vyrin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.