Stream sniping?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Saladid, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

Im just wondering what SOTA / Portalariums will do about stream sniping in this game. As the game progresses so has stream sniping.

Quite a few games have started firing back at stream snipers and twitch it self has also stated in its community guidelines, ( https://www.twitch.tv/p/legal/community-guidelines/ ) . Stream sniping is a no go.

As a game with VERY specific areas it is easy to look at a screen even with maps down and know where someone is, not to mention with zones how easy it is just watch a zone being entered.

Player Unknown Battleground started doing it a little to late to many a fan uproar
    ( https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/30/16059138/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-stream-sniping-ban ). I believe a issue like this should be in black and white before the game officially launches.

MUCH LOVE!

2. zeme

zeme Avatar

Fair game! Squad up with me once I'm big and strong

3. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Play in friends mode. Problem solved.

Valor, FrostII, Nelzie and 2 others like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i need to gogle what stream snipping is - poor human beeings - maybe we need some more love in this world, i dont know, just a suggestion :rolleyes:

FMO - problem solved as it was already said.

5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

not sure why it's wrong... these streamers are publicly showing their location in the game... because they're streamers the public should treat them differently like they're special??? it's just common sense, if you are in a competitive match then don't deliberately tell the whole freaking world where you are...

I googled it too... LOL...

Valor, FrostII, Timmy Vortex and 7 others like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

it sounds for me like that the "snippers" just want to disturb and make the stream bad.
    Sure if its PvP Stream then its another perspective :p
    but if poeple only go there to make things bad - like i experienced while Roleplaying in several games it is just sad and those who try to get some attention by doing so, well :rolleyes:
    they just need someone who loves them ;)

7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

HA, I had to google it too.. IDK about "Player Unknown Battleground" but SotA isn't forced PvP. Soooo while FPO has been mentioned simply not streaming when you're flagged is another alternative. I mean come on...dev bandwidth is an issue here or so I'd think. How much time to we want to have wasted chasing down these squabbles? How many of us actually "know" all the people on our friends lists? I'd guess the majority of us all just accept friend requests since we use those so often as teleport tools. That being the case...what is there to stop someone from say having a second account and sending out friend req's to those they wanna target and using that as a locator. Fwiw... the cited example from the "PUB" game I think is a bad example as it sounds like it was a stupid call on the part of the devs there as it's really hard to imagine they could have actually determined in such a short time that the supposed sniping had taken place. The comment from the dev side there “...However, it may take some time for us if there is no evidence to prove the banned user's point. We need to make sure by looking into in-game data...” is telling in itself. it would seem like they should have checked that in-game data before issuing the ban. Is that what we wanna see in Shroud? I know I don't. Good grief..How about we spend time finding way to unite rather than divide our base?

So my take in brief...if you wanna stream while flagged...expect the expected ;p

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I just want to clarify that those twitch guidelines specifically state that one streamer cannot stream snipe another streamer. That rule does not affect twitch viewers sniping streamers.

Portalarium doesn't need a policy, as it really is a non issue since flagging PVP is optional for the player. Not flagged and you are getting bored and your viewers want some PVP action, then go flag. If you are flagged and having a miserable time of it since you are attracting too much heat, go to the oracle and unflag.

Simples.

eli, Valor, Sean Silverfoot and 3 others like this.
  9. Bob Kelso2

Bob Kelso2 Avatar

Pvp I consider optional in all games as you dont have to play.. if you choose to play a pvp game in shrouds case flagging then yes you are fair game to everyone. Stream at your own peril. I NEVER watch streams and dont want my game dictated by some streamer, treating streamers as royalty because they can bring in more players is sad and wrong.

10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

streamer: I'm going to livestream... hope I get lots of viewers...
    streamer: awesome, I'm so popular... I have lots of viewers...
    streamer: WTF... my viewers are using my stream against me... it's unfair... they should be banned...

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Add a delay, problem solved.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  12. Bob Kelso2

Bob Kelso2 Avatar

Wasnt the last rage about being stolen from when afk with pvp tag on? Delay dont help stupidity :D

13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

We stream sniped Saladid, but left a donation. ;) Just take it with a laugh.

I guess if the game is ever going to become more popular a lot of things will change in this community, which is good :)

14. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

What I have read this so far, a lot of you didn't even know what a stream sniper was. So from that you made a snap judgement decision that is total fine. Also read the other half of the comments it sounds like very few of you watch streamers. I recommend finding a few you like. Doesn't need to be this game. Scroll around find a game maybe you have just heard about then find a personality that fits what you like in a personality. Sit back relax and watch. I do it a lot for finding new games to play. Or classics that I just really enjoy.

My personal thoughts on stream sniping is its going to happen. But it gives possible new players a very skewed look on what the game is like. It also effects the way veteran players end up playing. There are so many ways it can affect people NOT streaming in negative ways also positive. EX: Say mister fancy pants popular streamer runs into a open PvP zone your in, and you playing normally see the flagged streamer with your (nearby player) feature. BUT what you dont know is there are 20 guys trailing this streamer. 5 super fan boys to help him take out anyone there to help him look good and 15 snipers. Now your zone is impossible to do anything in. You though it would been a nice 1v1 instead its a clown fiesta.

There are so many possibility on how it could run its course I just want to know where it lies in black and white. Because I could be the one banned, <--- see no one commented or said that about me. But what if i run in on another player streaming. I stream a good 70% of my game play. What if this guy is having a bad day and takes it out on a forum board or brings it to twitch saying i was the strema sniper? What happens to me. That is something I would want to know.

Please be very thoughtful in your comments as i don't think you realize how lopsided this could end up. Especially if nothing is said before release.

MUCH LOVE!

15. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

LOL yeah my bad habit.

Bob Kelso2 likes this.
  16. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Don't flag PvP if you don't want to PvP. First rule of fighting is keep your hands up at all times, streaming or not. Yo bad.

Solazur likes this.
  17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

How in the world would you police this? Seriously.

18. Bob Kelso2

Bob Kelso2 Avatar

I think most of us have done so at some point :p I sure have

Solazur likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I totally agree with you, this is something that should be made clear in their game policies.

I also agree that stream sniping is not challenging and is one of the lowest forms of vile behavior on the internet. However, steamers can't have the expectation that whenever they're streaming they can't be attacked. That's not really manageable on either side of PVP. Players may generally not know if you're streaming or not (I know that this is usually not the case), and players could say they were streaming when they were being attacked just to get people in trouble.

Streaming isn't a shield from PVP. Unflagging is.

There shouldn't be PVP areas where only friends can fight each other. Just like you can't really PVP alone, you can't PVP with "just friends". Not in the sense that we're talking about here.

But yes, if Streamers want protection from PVP they can just unflag or go to a zone or game mode that doesn't have PVP.

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

There are actually deep design problems that make stream sniping very annoying because PVP is currently very annoying. It's almost totally built on the premise that if you're openly flagged you're going to be ganked. That's not fun, so for the most part the only people openly flagged for pvp are those players either looking to gank anyone that is, or those players that are so high up in level that they can handle 99% of the population that might want to gank them and still PVE grind.

Stream Sniping is really just a very focused and precise way to gank people that are just trying to play the game like normal people.

Yes, and just like when you openly PVP flag and want to enjoy the game and compete with other players, it's not fun if the reality is you're being spawn camped by a few bozos that are only going to be playing the game so long as they're "winning" by abusing the mechanics.

So my opinion is that yes we need some policy statement around stream sniping, but we also need a more thoughtful pvp system that encourages a lot less ganking and certainly removes spawn camping and zone camping from the equation, unless it's part of a more meaningful system of PVP. By meaningful, I mean that a person is squatting in a zone because there's a tactical or strategic advantage other than "I'm going to annoy people".

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I don't think this is a serious request. He's obviously just trying to get more exposure for his stream. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.