Stream sniping?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Saladid, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

2. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

love this video. music best part

3. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I completely agree something should be done about this menace!

1% of people may decide to stream the game and out of those maybe 1% of them are flagged or in a pvp zone and of those, 1% of the other pvpers in the game maybe watching and may use it as an advantage to go kill the streamer.
    I think DarkStarr, Lord British and Chris Spears need to have an emergency meeting and discuss the ruination of the game that this action creates. I'm sure we will all be fine with them pulling developers off new content and bug fixes to immediately address this issue*!

*Disclaimer: This is satire and should not be taken seriously.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The video is funny and has good production value.

But here's a serious question for you. It promotes stream sniping and ganking. Two things that are obviously not fun for the people being killed. So how do you reconcile that?

It's great that you can laugh at yourself and have fun with it. But if the end result is that it encourages more bad behavior and creates an atmosphere where you'll just stop streaming SOTA and move on to other games, why do we want that in our community? Isn't the video part of the overall problem? I would say yes, it most certainly is.

That doesn't change the fact that the video is funny and well made. It just means that in a world where people get attention for being jerks, you're going to have a lot of attention seeking jerks.

5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I've never subscribed to a youtube channel so fast in my life. @Blake Blackstone

6. Bob Kelso2

Bob Kelso2 Avatar

I wouldnt call it bad behaviour, as been stated you clearly have to set your self up for this. If you go and write on forums that you are always flagged and in this and that town, is it then bad behavior of me to go and kill you? In war use whatever tactics/knowledge available to you. Common sense if you ask me :)

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Well if that were true, people wouldn't do it. I assume you mean for the person being ganked?

You can make it fun, set up a sting with some players waiting to help out and turn the tables...
    He doesn't need to go live. Streams can be just as fun on a delay or posted up after the fact. I don't think he is going to quit streaming because of stuff like this. It's what people want to see...

I have to admit I am totally shocked that you want some kind of policy to prevent sniping? Am I getting this right?

8. Drocis the Devious

This is a game, it's not war. There are rules in a game that people follow so that the game is fun for everyone.

If it were war then you could break the terms of service and not expect or care if you were banned or impacted legally by your actions. Common sense indeed.

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

Portalarium may have a vested interest in it. I suspect that the marketing survey will show that a big chunk of their reach comes from streamers.

My own experience with twitch audiences is that stream snipers don't sit well with them... there's a level of injustice to it that rubs people the wrong way... like dealing with hackers. Of course, my experience is anecdotal.

10. Drocis the Devious

That's the point here. Last night after being ganked by a stream sniper, Saladid stopped streaming and moved on to another game.

Why do we have such a low population of players? Is it because being ganked in pvp is fun? I don't think so.

Even if you look at Albion Online where many players in these very forums went for "good pvp", some of those very loud voices are back here now because it "wasn't fun" being destroyed by larger guilds that could just wreck them no matter what.

You see, the reality of PVP is that no one and I mean NO ONE wants to be the guy losing all the time.

Agreed. You could do that. But now we're talking about the mechanics of SOTA and how likely it is that a stream sniper is going to show up and attempt to stream snipe in a scene that has multiple players flagged for pvp.

Saladid (last night and in the video posted above) was alone in the scene. Even when help arrives in the video the attacker only keeps playing because he's at an advantage. So the rules of how we pvp are very important. If only the "winners" are having fun, you'll soon find that there's no one left on the playground.

I would say that because it's difficult to enforce, you'd have to make a policy on repeat offenders. Last night Saladid had the same person showing up and taunting him saying he was going to show up over and over again. So should we just allow that? Should we say it's alright if semi-randomly player 1 decides that he wants to bully player 2, forever? If the end result is that we want player 2 to stop playing the game, I guess that's a good way to do it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Saladid likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

For me this is just like broadcasting your location on facebook and then getting upset if your stalker turns up. If you're pvp flagged and streaming where you are / what you're doing you might as well be holding up a giant sign.
    No, its not a particularly nice thing to do, but I can't really see a reason to create legislation against it. Besides, in this case, it made for a really entertaining show watching both points of view...:X

12. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Ease up there, Hombre. Welcome to the internet. Games that are extremely popular have tons of this. Don't you want SotA to be successful? At this point, it seems you and a handful of others want New Britannia all to yourselves. I have a serious news flash for you, if by some crazy circumstance SotA becomes successful, there will be real gamers here, not forum heroes. And with it comes competitive gameplay and trash talk.

Lets just hope that SotA can overcome all the damage caused by the forum heroes.

13. Drocis the Devious

How entertaining will the show be when no one is streaming SOTA?

Saladid likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Forum heroes? I'm not sure what you're saying here. Could you explain?

15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

On the contrary. If it were more competitive people would actually play.

16. Drocis the Devious

Like Albion?

They have tons of stream sniping and trash talk. And ganking!

Why not go back there, Blake? Too much of a good thing?

Too many forum heroes there? :)

17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

That's one of many. I want to play a game that can barely keep its servers up at launch because there are so many people trying to get in.

18. Drocis the Devious

I didn't see a lot of successful DoD videos coming from Albion though. I wonder why that is?

Oh, it's the servers. Got it. ;)

19. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Well, Im not in DoD but @Vallo Frostbane was a top player in Albion.

20. Drocis the Devious

Was he?!

How do you reach such a milestone? Is it just kill count? Why didn't he keep dominating over there?

Again, servers right?

Doesn't seem right to try to have it both ways. SOTA isn't want you want but it's stable?

I don't think that's what the true narrative is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.