Stream sniping?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Saladid, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Back on subject, In Albion(insert any true pvp game here) you were forbidden to stream while you fought by your guild, not the devs. It was just the prudent thing to do. People made videos of fights and posted them after, which I know probably hurt many losers feelings.

Edit: Oh and then posted them on the forums for the world to see. The losers didnt even bother reporting it. Can you believe that? Guess thats how a true pvp game operates. You take your licks and it drives you to get better. Not cry to a moderator.

Note: I am speaking in general terms and not specifically calling out a particular player.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Solazur, Bob Kelso2 and margaritte like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

:/ If we had a justice system with bounties, factions, and meaningful goals and incentives other than ganking, people would play. It would also mean you could still snipe someone while they were streaming, but you might get a bounty on your head for it.

Elnoth, Solazur, Bob Kelso2 and 4 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I watched a lot of Albion live streams. There was a lot of stream sniping.

My favorite Albion Streamer was Carth_ws. I don't think he's streamed albion in months though, too much sniping. Which is a shame since he was really good at pvp. Very entertaining. Not sure what his leaderboard stats were like but generally he seemed like one of the best guys in the game to me.

4. Drocis the Devious

Or you leave the game and go play something where you don't have much competition so it's easy to make snarky videos? What's a stronger position to take as a player or a guild? "We're going to go play REAL PVP, see ya suckers!" Then like two months later you're back here telling people they're forum heroes.

Anyway, welcome back?

Saladid likes this.
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Naw man. When they put in 100% XP bonuses for multi and another 100% for being flagged PvP I'll log in. Until then Ill stop in once a month and rile up the forum heroes. After all, I do still have quite a bit of money parked in this game. Just too lazy to sell it.

6. Drocis the Devious

Maybe you should start a PVP live stream for SOTA.

Wouldn't that be fun?

Btw, even the guy that stream sniped Saladid didn't live stream the attack. Apparently he didn't think that would be fun to do.

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

In a game with consensual pvp, yes that's how it works. That player needs to learn adapt and overcome, or stop streaming live. Post videos later or on a delay or something if you aren't able to defend yourself from sniping.

You want to punish a player for using common sense to PK someone in a consensual system they are opting into?

Can you please explain how you could possibly enforce this?

Whether it's a first time offense or someone doing it repeatedly is irrelevant. They aren't doing anything wrong according to the games mechanics. The player streaming his location in a game where it's extremely easy to pinpoint locations is the one doing something wrong if you ask me.

Are you asking for players that are flagged pvp to not be able to stream live?

Bob Kelso2 likes this.
  8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I suppose I could. Itd be me and him fighting over and over since there is no one else. I know BDF isnt in multi. :D:D:D

9. Drocis the Devious

I already mentioned how I'd enforce it. If someone is doing it repetitively, that's actionable. You can tell if someone is repeating the act of stream sniping. It's usually not much of a mystery.

I don't think that's true. I think you'd stop streaming live because people would stream snipe you. But feel free to prove me wrong.

How would you know that, you just said you never log in. I can tell you I never stream snipe though, so no risk from me there.

10. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

You dont know that Im the Lord Varys of SotA?

Market likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

How do you know they watched the stream or just have another account with that player on their friends list? Or they hunt at the same places and keep running into each other? Or a friend told them they were there?

It's not as black and white as you are making it sound.

Spoon and Bob Kelso2 like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Lord Varys logged into the game of thrones. If all he did was post on the forums he wouldn't be my favorite character.

Market likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

In all the zones in all the world...

Ironic that the video is in black and white. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If someone is sniping over and over again, it's obvious. There's no mystery. But even using one of your other scenarios, that's not the type of behavior that we want to promote or allow. If someone is killing the same player over and over again, it's time for them to take a break and maybe find something else to do. Maybe they could watch Casablanca?

14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I guess I'm the only one interested in actually discussing this.

Bob Kelso2 likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

I'm extremely interested in discussing this, and I am.

16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Or turn there flag off? You can't kill someone over and over in this game. It isn't possible unless you let them.

Spoon, aldraren and Bob Kelso2 like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I understand that.

But if your choices become:
    1. Turn your flag on and get ganked.
    2. Turn your flag off and don't get ganked.

That's not a fun game to play. That results in people NOT streaming. That results in people quitting the game (as they have in every other pvp environment where that was your option). So it's not really a good solution, and it begs for better design choices and yes policy that states "don't do that" so players can't pretend they're not abusing the game mechanics.

18. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Here is the issue.. You want to fight everyone on the planet in game and run around as a PKer with certain areas you think are safe zones.... So then you go and want to live stream your gameplay to show everyone how "Badass" you are and then you get killed... You made the STUPID decision to go out and broadcast to the world your location in a live stream and you do not like the fact that this was done. Sorry I have no problem with that at all and it happens every day in war where they are trying to locate the enemy by ANY means available and you just left them the opening they needed.

Bankee, Bob Kelso2 and Market like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Why not a delay or posting videos up later? Been brought up already yet you keep ignoring it.

Doesn't that solve the issue without wasting time with policy's that will be impossible to enforce?

20. Drocis the Devious

Do you have a problem with there being no one live streaming open pvp?
    Do you have a problem with someone hacking into the game to use "cyber war tactics" against you?
    Do you have a problem with someone doxing you, since that would also be a hypothetical "war" tactic that could be applied?

This isn't war, it's a game. Stream sniping is not something the development team put into their game, it's something players use to circumvent the designed rules of the game. Just like hacking and social engineering. So why would we justify stream sniping when we wouldn't justify hacking, etc...?

Can you stop all hacking? Nope. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't make polices that say it's wrong and hold people accountable for it if it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.