Stream sniping?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Saladid, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Do you have a problem with there being no one live streaming open pvp? Yes and if they want to announce to the world where you are at then this is YOUR fault no the game designers.
    Do you have a problem with someone hacking into the game to use "cyber war tactics" against you? Yes I do and IF this tactic is applied then they should be BANNED because they are actually hacking into the game to obtain an unfair advantage on a level playing field that Port has created.
    Do you have a problem with someone doxing you, since that would also be a hypothetical "war" tactic that could be applied? Yes I do and IF this happens then this now turns into a legal battle where they can be punished in real life for their actions.

Live Streaming and playing a game is NOT hacking the game and if your playing a PVP style game then common sense should come into play and is not Port's or any game developers problems and is the INDIVIDUALS problem. They chose to stream the game while they are playing and this is the consequence of the actions they have chosen.

2. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

How about this. I personally like to hunt in PvP zones. How about let's throw that wrench in the gears. I can not possibly turn the flag off

3. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Theres one big difference. People choose to stream and choose how to do it. It isnt the same as doxxing and hacking.

Bankee and Bob Kelso2 like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not purposely ignoring it.

Perhaps that's what the policy should say. Here, I'll take a crack at it:

All streamers, in order to promote a fun and manageable game environment must work off of a delayed stream. The act of viewing a stream to attack the streamer (aka: snipe, stream snipe) is prohibited and will result in bans, up to and including permanent bans across multiple accounts.

I don't think the above policy would be impossible to enforce. Especially when we're talking about having full video evidence. Does it really matter if someone used the view of the stream vs. the view of the friends list? Not to me it doesn't if the result is the same streamer was killed by the same person(s) in ways that suggest the policy was broken.

5. Drocis the Devious

Well doxxing and hacking is more like sniping.

Streaming is more like playing the game.

Saladid likes this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

One of the guys in my team is a quite successful streamer. I didn't feel the need to make any videos. Guess you didn't really have any clue about the game. I was top in my weapon rank quite a while until I stopped playing. Also you can check what my alliance does there (SUN).

In Albion things are mainly a team effort. The largest alliance in the game probably has more members than there are active SotA players ;)
    Our alliance was the smallest of the top alliances. With only around 200 people we beat alliances as large as 3k in GvG and ZvZ...

If you are interested in why I quit, it was because Albion is a great game, but not an RPG.
    Albion is more like an Esport, MOBA type of game set in an sandbox environment. That means if you want to play competitively a lot of training
    and a fix 5 people team is required. We had such a team, but unfortunately one guy had to quit. To stay on top level we did a lot of castings etc. but couldn't replace him.
    I played professional CS for 3 years and I know that I cannot put in as much time anymore. Also trying to find people to play team games on a very
    high level is an extremely exhausting process. We all took a break and I currently only play some sieges as stand in, since my char is completely leveled for its role there's no need to grind anymore. ZvZ I don't like that much to be honest.

The server issues Albion had were a problem for 2 weeks. The problems SotA has have been going on for way longer. :p
    Still it is the best bet for the next UO in my book, and until they shut it down, I'll be here playing and lurking.

However I need to play other games too once in a while, since I still work with a group "to murder developer's games" as we call it ;)
    Next I am looking forward to is actually a single-player title. Currently I am waiting to take part in testing 9yin2 (age of wushu 2) for the Chinese developer snail games.
    Now that I think about it I could reactivate my Emperor Account on ESO... heard they changed a lot there ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I hate to say it, but I agree that this sort of thing doesn't need to be policed in any way by Portalarium... unless there is hacking and/or exploiting involved.

IMO, there is only one real rule to PVP. If you flag, accept the fact that you can be attacked.

So, if you aren't prepared to be attacked or sniped or whatever then either don't flag or don't live stream and give your enemy an advantage.

Seems to me that common sense would be enough to resolve this problem.

8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

No, that's ridiculous.

The policy should be. If you stream with your pvp flag on, it is at your own risk.

No banning or development time needed.

What a crazy thing to request.

John Markus, Bankee, Elnoth and 3 others like this.
  9. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Run your stream on a 15 min delay. This can be easy achieved in your streaming software.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Step 1: flag PvP
    step 2: stream
    Step 3: wait for others to PvP

How is it possible to “snipe” someone that is open to being attack.

The streaming is simply extending the challenge of PvP to all viewers.

If you don’t want to get attacked the why flag.

This entire subject is like listening to politics

11. oplek

oplek Avatar

It also makes interacting with your audience 15 minutes more difficult.

12. Drocis the Devious

On top of your "weapon rank"? That sounds fascinating.

I sure watched enough streams to know what it was about. While some people played it, I'd already opted out of the whole thing. Welcome back. Guess it took you a while to figure out what it was about.

So then why would having an individual "weapon rank" be something to crow about? I guess that helps your team until you leave the game.

You're here now. I think it's obvious why you quit. This is more fun obviously.

Yeah, ZvZ isn't fun. I agree.

Professional CS in that you made money and supported yourself from it? Or like you played it a lot? Nevermind, it's not important either way.

Good.

I don't blame anyone for playing different games. It's sometimes odd that they might perform a scorched earth policy only to come back periodically. That's a large tent of people that do that though.

Forum Hero and now Decorator.

13. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Any game you stream and PVP in is gonna have this trade off.

Bob Kelso2 likes this.
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

A ban on stream sniping won't solve anything. People will make alt accounts on twitch and still do it.
    Just call it out when you find out they are in your chat and they harass you. People will hate them for it or may even come to your aid.
    Or like I said just laugh about it. In SotA you are losing almost nothing when you die in PVP, so embrace it - those guys are also your audience ;)

Bob Kelso2 and Adam Crow like this.
  15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I played with a contract. Back in the days it was enough for me as a student. I eventually decided to "end my career" and become a pilot, which I am now, as gaming in the early 2000s wasn't that big of deal as it is now. And yeah it's fun to kill people like you in game. :)

Stop flame baiting and your passive aggressive comments are against forum rules. And apparently you didn't read that I still play it casually.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Spoon and Bob Kelso2 like this.
  16. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

False.
    Dark souls. almost impossible to get into a specific players game.

Pubg. Also very hard to snipe unless you are a top %1 streamer. (Takes 100 randoms into a game). Top streams have 9000-30000 viewers. Chances are atleast 10 people will locate you before game starts if you have that kind of viewers.

Battlefield 1. Game play is to fast and teams are randomized before play starts no one can select the specific game your in if they do once game started they are in line to get in.

Many games have ways around stream sniping. MMOs are the last to figure a way to evolve.

Named very popular games PS
    LoL. 5 players join 5 other players based on rank. Once game starts maybe if a player is a top stream again person with 5000+ viewers. I person will quick log in to stream and check. But game play is so fast the 10 second delay pretty much nullifies sniping.

17. Drocis the Devious

I wonder if Kor could help come up with a way to mitigate stream sniping? Maybe there's some twitch integration that could happen.

What a great selling point that would be for streamers too!

18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You should take games into account that are comparable to SotA in that regard. Stream sniping in open PVP with a "small" game world isn't avoidable if YOU do not take countermeasures like delay or at least hiding where you are with obscuring the map/compass etc.

After that still it is impossible to proof someone is sniping, because like I said IF it is forbidden, people will use alt names+proxy on twitch.
    Every regulation Portalarium puts up against Stream sniping will be circumnavigated and might even result in getting less players, as it is only a matter of time until they ban someone who wasn't guilty and it goes viral.

SotA's problem is that "griefing" is the only form of PVP currently available. They definetly need to fix that. Once PVP areas have a purpose, you will find more allies and enemies in them and "stream sniping" will automatically become less of an issue, because there are more than just you (@Saladid) they need to worry about.

Bob Kelso2 and Saladid like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

This is something we agree on mostly.

However, Albion had tons of stream snipers. So I can't see an increase in population resulting in less snipers, it would be more in my opinion. I agree with you that the design of PVP leaves little to no meaning for conflict and griefing or at best ganking is really the only type of PVP we have.

I'm ok with griefing and ganking, btw. In fact I've defended players that do that for years. It's just where we draw the line between griefing and harassment where you and I seem to have deep opposing views. I don't believe that when someone flags for pvp they except whatever form of harassment can be dreamed up. It's a game, not a war.

In the case of stream sniping. Clearly this wasn't designed as part of the fun in the game.

Saladid likes this.
  20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think we also agree on that it is harassment. We might disagree on how much harassment a person needs to be able to endure though.
    I think it is no biggie. It is not nice, and in the end the stream snipers will get their right punishment. But it should always be done in-game by the players.

Adam Crow, Saladid and Antrax Artek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.