Stretch-Goal Store + Pledge = win/win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bohica, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Actually, mounts were never planned for the game, according to Chris Spears:

The stretch goals were things that were requested by players that we don't currently have in our scope. We have multiple fast travel system so mounts were not something we ever planned on having but players have requested them enough we are giving them an opportunity to demonstrate how many people really want them.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

I would rather them continue to gather resources and improve the game. A game will only launch once, make it the best you can.

How would anyone know what they have done so far. These pre alpha releases are only pieces of the current game done. People are quick to judge but how many know anything of making/developing a successful MMO? I sure don't, let them work and do their jobs and businesses need money to run.

Noctiflora likes this.
  3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

There are many $1 million Indie games on the market that sell quite well.

The line becomes drawn towards people deciding to invest or not, based on what's actually been developed from what was promised. Someone just walking in might say, hey wait! What happened to all those KS goals? They keep kicking them further down the road while introducing other elements not in the KS campaign.

One has to consider the wider audience, not just current backers. They need more backers, that is clear. But making those kind of stretch goals that don't necessarily appeal to a new backer aren't doing them any favors.

Cabrens and BillRoy like this.
  4. tamino

tamino Avatar

Quote from Chris Spears:

"The stretch goals were things that were requested by players that we don't currently have in our scope. We have multiple fast travel system so mounts were not something we ever planned on having but players have requested them enough we are giving them an opportunity to demonstrate how many people really want them."

@Chris Spears: this system isn't going to demonstrate how many people want mounts. It's going to demonstrate how many people can see through this rigged fundraising scheme and decide not to buy into it.

I want mounts and I think they should be included with the price tag I've already paid. I'm not expecting them, since they weren't in the Kickstarter or promised anywhere else, but take note that I don't appreciate having features dangled in front of my nose with an associated price tag when those features usually come standard in similar games. Instead of paying your price, I'll just go play another game where those features are included because the developers care about their product being complete rather than selling every piece of it including its soul for an overly inflated price.

Cabrens and BillRoy like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think it would have been better to have had a single stretch goal we all voted to focus on instead of having 3 (and maybe 5) that will take forever at the current stretch goal accumulation rate to reach their goals.

I think this is intended to a be a long term thing, but most new money is going to come from people that get in at adventurer just to play.

The well-off people who can afford thousands of dollars on games like this will likely focus first on their pledges and upgrades to them.

Still, its a good idea, and I like the items you'll get that will become something better if it succeeds, I just think we should have had less choice..

One at a time.

Kaisa likes this.
  6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I agree 100%, same with Elves (and instanced in-game personal space/appartment aquireable in-game).
    These things are guarenteed in so many other games, they are common and expected features.

7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

To be fair, they were not mentioned as KS goals. Some of us invested on an awful lot of faith without substance. ;)

To be honest, it's mystifying why they wouldn't be in this game. Even horses and pack animals were in UO, so it's only natural people might assume they'd be included without added costs.

Silly people for thinking, rather trusting, it might have similar elements to UO. :p

BillRoy likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You're right.:(

Many of us were drawn here by memories of a Golden Age, where we were heroes in a brave new world of adventure and danger.
    But the comparison is like your memories of being at a carnival as a child in the night. Nothing but beautiful spinning and twinkiling lights, crazy sounds, mysterious people and magnificent prizes.
    Same place as an adult in the daylight. Dirty and hollow, the magic is gone...you know it'll never be like it was. But you still have a desire to recapture atleast a fragment of those old times.
    It's called Chasing The Dragon.

Caliya and Olahorand like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

[​IMG]

smack, Numa, Caliya and 5 others like this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

"No Effect!"

smack likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@tradyblix,

Actually, if you press enter it goes *Poof* and creates a horse, since the beginning letters are "HORSE".

tradyblix likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Heehehe... Yeah I was being snarky about SoTA :)

Here:[​IMG]

13. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I was actually more referring to UO, but if this is what you guys are into, I'm not going to make fun of you or anything for it.:rolleyes:
    Friends don't do that stuff to eachother.:D

:p

14. tamino

tamino Avatar

Yes, it's very true it wasn't mentioned in the Kickstarter. That's why I am not expecting it. Especially now with this stretch goal store idea that has been implemented.

However, they gave very little detail about SotA during the Kickstarter because the whole thing wasn't very well planned. It was a last ditch effort to save Portalarium, according to Richard Garriot. What they showed during Kickstarter was put together in 45 days and I wasn't impressed with it at all. I would have never backed this game were it not for Richard Garriot and the Ultima connection. I am an old Ultima fan and I feel the same nostalgia for the series as most people here. I want to see a new game worthy of the name and legacy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had faith they'd improve what they showed drastically and not try to parcel out every little feature for exorbitant amounts of money. I was also lured by the promise of being able to participate in the development and receive access to the assets that would be created. I've honestly been disappointed on every level.

Caliya and BillRoy like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

If that's the way you want to play,

[​IMG]

smack, Hazard, Numa and 4 others like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Lots has changed, my friend. When I was a kid, they enticed people to shop at supermarkets, rather than your local farmstand. They gave you big shopping carts, bagged your groceries and automatically wheeled your cart of food to your car and placed it in your trunk for you. Then they put the cart away too.

Pumping gas for you, checking your tires, checking your oil, and washing your windows used to be included in the price of gas. Now we have to do all those things ourselves and pay a premium for the gas.

Many things that used to entice people are now parceled out for high prices per item. Airlines used to include your baggage for the cost of the ticket. Then they started charging for one extra bag and eating on the plane. Now they're charging for all luggage, first bag and carry-on. Next they'll be charging for water. It's all a way to make tickets seem cheaper when they're continuously nickel and diming people to death.

You want a horse? Ok, you can have it but you have to pay for it. Character slot!? You had 5 for the price of the game in UO. But hey, now we can charge per slot! Why not make a little extra money? ;)

So just what was included in the original KS goals? Hey it wasn't endless constructs of housing and a bajillion house decor items. All that's included in the price of the game, when that's not even what people were expecting from what should be a well rounded game.

Join up with the current times and trends, friend. You'll be happier for it, right? :D

17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I got a free spaceship in SWtOR, then they gave me a second one just for PvP.:D
    My main ship even has a robot butler who talks to me.:cool:

Caliya likes this.
  18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Whoa, whoa. Hold up there. SW was a $200 million price tag to develop and market. They better throw in that shz. hehe ;)
    Apples & oranges, friend.

19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I know, right?

Besides RG said this wasn't a Triple-A game, I don't know if everyone here realizes it though...though I believe he did claim to be able to put it out for less than they have already collected.
    I'm fine with a low B to high C quality game though.

Caliya likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Most AAA games are about a C+ in my book anyway

smack, BillRoy and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.