Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Strong work devs on fire (DoT) nerf!

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Study_Break, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

So apparently any mob that has a DoT on it has miraculously figured out how to dodge any damage while out of LOS! Must be another hidden 'feature' of the new patch. Guess the 13% ring of fire damage nerf wasn't enough, now mobs (who are on fire) dodge any damage when you LOS them, and often leash back to their starting points! Even better, spiders that poison DoT players don't have this drawback, you're still poisoned and taking damage. Reportedly mobs also dodge chain lightning if they happen to be out of LOS.

So let me get this straight. If a house is on fire, and no one can see it, it doesn't burn to the f***ing ground, right?

Strong work devs! Maybe we can nerf earth next, since it does a lot of damage. Healing is OP too, you can keep people alive whilst they take damage. Death must be an oversight as well, since it both damages and heals at the same time, that can't be right. Perhaps moon will become useful soon! I always look forward to new patches, each one making more excited to play the game!

Massive

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. Krytian

Krytian Avatar

If this is intentional then it's badly thought out since LOS is a common tactic used in all MMOs as a way for lower level players to solo content. If you can't LOS mobs at lower levels then it could potentially drive away lower level players who don't have the HP or armor needed to face tank mobs head on like higher level players.
    If this is intentional then you're only hurting lower level players who don't have enough skills to be adaptable, hp to be survivable, and armor to be tank enough to farm. Instead of doing nerfs on skills as a ditch effort to balance the game, try to add higher level content, alter mob density, create more intense dungeons, or adapt lower level dungeons that aren't run and change them into high lvl dungeons with appropriate pay outs. You could even create powerful champion mobs in instances that give good rewards but aren't easy to kills. Reactive nerfing however is a bad way to balance a game...esp if you're nefing basic tactics that are vital in all mmos

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

How would a low level player have access to ring of fire? Isn't the second last tier spell?

This change seems to be intended for battling the LoS exploit in control point where players can cast ring of fire to kill tons of mobs without any effort.

Do you have alternative to fix this exploit?

Moiseyev Trueden and Snikorts like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Report this as a bug. Insulting the developers will not help.

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

If the target loses line of sight it should still take damage. If you move to a position that is completely unreachable by the target, it should not. If that is not how it is working, let me know.

6. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

First off, how is that remotely an exploit? It's a common tactic in any game w/ DoT spells: apply DoT, kite mobs til they die, loot for the win. End of story. Every MMO w/ DoTs has this tactic. Archers use it too. Mages/arches have to reposition themselves to attack you if you LOS them, while they are running you can hit them w/ spells or archery, LOS them again, they have to reposition, rinse and repeat until they die. Is that an exploit to use LOS? Like Donald Trump with his tax avoiding tactics, it's just smart. LOL.

Secondly, this is also true for any damage spell that takes time to apply. IE arrows and archery. Arrow spells. Chain spells. If you cast the spell and LOS the mob before the damage applies, they dodge it, 100%.

Lastly, why don't the devs do some internal testing before releasing BROKEN content patch after patch after patch. It's getting old. As are the incremental nerfs.

7. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

Letting you know, it's not working. Ignited several enemies. As soon as I break LOS, but still reachable (ex down stairs, behind pillar, around rock) they dodge 100% of every damage tick.

8. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

9. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

The way it currently is if they can't see you (LOS) they constantly dodge all attacks even tho they can path to you. Since Chris stated that if they can still path to you they should still take damage. Obviously this is a crucial bug and needs to be fixed.

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yep, sounds like a bug was introduced. We'll get it patched first thing this week.

12. Muddern

Muddern Avatar

The same seems to happen when you use a combat pet and it is between me and the mob or the mob stands on top of the pet (using water elemental or ice elemental atm.) They Dodge everything.

13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I can understand the need for something to stop exploiting of these types of game mechanics. But sometimes I think we go too far. Why can I not sit up on a rock and rain down pain on a target. It's an ambush technique that has been used for years and works. Make the mobs smarter where if they get ambushed like that and can't hit back they run away. If someone is luring them from place to place through fire have them go around the fire if possible. I hope this is just the quick sledge hammer approach to stop the bleeding quickly and more refinements and changes will be made over time.

uhop, Aldo, Spinok and 6 others like this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't envy the work the developers do to have to understand and balance these things. There was one guy that was killing the boss 20 times an hour solo with a fire dot and los (his words). But he also said he had 120+ in attunment. That implies he is probably running very high level on everything involved since attunement is passive. So what's not debatable is that bosses are not supposed to be solo'd at that rate. What is debatable is the cause

1. Was the boss too weak
    2. Was the scene design allowing a los exploit
    3. Was the dot OP
    4. Was the effort to earn high skills too easy
    5. Is the level higher than the game intended

I don't know. I definitely don't fault the player for working hard and making the most of it. He was not exploiting the game.

The point is that it's never as trivial as nerfing a spell.

15. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

You made 100+ level with fire ring in CP. Why you so dissapointed that fire was nerfed ?

16. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

This bug also shows up when a mob is at the edge of the map. Stepping back so it moves forward a few feet resolves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.