Stylized Dye Kits as Heraldry fields

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

With the implementation of the Heraldry system, we are seeing that players would like to use divisions and backgrounds, but the system as implemented only has a limited amount of space that it can fill. Therefore, I'd like to suggest another way to implement divisions and fields: dye kits.

A dye kit would work just like dye does now; you apply it by dropping it onto a dyable item. It only really makes senses to us this for the Primary Dye slot, but it could easily be expanded to work in either location.

The difference would be that dye kits have more than one color applied to the surface. For example, you mgiht buy a "Dye Kit, Division (pure black and pure white, party per pale)" from a Crown vendor, which when applied would dye the items with the left half Pure Black and the right half Pure White. This could be expanded with different lines of division, so a "red and pure white, engrailed party per bend" would be divided from the top left to the bottom right with a wave-like pattern, red below and white above.

What I'd like to see are "patterns of division", which would be used like symbols for crafting dye patterns. Take two (or three, etc) dyes, a pattern of division, and combine them on a tanning station to make a dye kit. We could add a second symbol, "line of division", to add the various effects to the divisions.

Finally, there could be some very top-end types of dye kits that are only available using rare components. For example, Dragon Scales could be used as a dye, or in a pattern of division to create a dye kit (e.g., "Dye Kit, Division (purple dragon scale and pure black, party per pale) for example)". Phoenix Feathers and Unicorn Mane could be additional special dyes (actually called Furs in heraldry). The Crown store might add the more "common" types of heraldric furs (ermine, vair, plumeté, papelonné, and kürsch) which could be purchased and used as well.

There may be some special dye kits that you could introduce as quest rewards; @Lord British 's founder blue and yellow should be available as a "Dye Kit, Division (Lord British)", and perhaps a pattern of black and dark grey arrows as a "Dye Kit, Pattern (Chaos)" for @DarkStarr .

Thoughts? @Sir Frank would this work to go along with the charges in the current iteration of the heraldry generator?

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Don't know. I have no idea how the generator works. That's Grant's thing.

3. Lained

Lained Avatar

I'm pretty sure the current tech utilises colour channels to apply the dyes, I can't seem to find the post that describes the process but as I recall they have to be set up as part of the item and the number of channels is limited so creating patterns/divisions along with the existing dyeable areas would be problematic if not impossible.

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

My initial thought was that since the items these are applied to are VERY limited, that instead of one submission, there could be a basic option (what we have now) and an advanced option that gives you several distinct submissions, one for each item, that you can download a pattern image to use as a mask when creating the heraldry image for that piece. I know this would eat up a LOT more code than the current implementation, but seems it might be a workable solution.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Lained likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm not sure that really changes what I'm suggesting. From what I read, the channels just specify what gets dyed in the Primary color and what in the Secondary. This wouldn't change that. What it would do is apply a texture with a pattern rather than a flat color to the area of that channel. This is more complex, but should still be possible. I'm sure it will still require additional tech, but thats what wishlist is for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.