1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Submitted 67098] Items disappearing on transfer between inventory

Discussion in 'Items & Inventory' started by Jakkal, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Reproducible: It's not consistent but is happening extremely frequently during the last week. Roughly 20 times yesterday. Don't recall what day it started to happen frequently.

Blocker: No, but really really annoying. Making the game somewhat unplayable because its literally happening multiple times an hour.

Details: Sometime in the last week items began disappearing at a huge rate when transferring items between storage / inventory / vendors. Prior to this last week it occurred maybe 10 times since I began playing 5 months ago. In the last week its happened somewhere around 50 times and its getting extremely annoying.

It happens in a few ways. Sometimes when dragging an item it will just vanish, mid drag. Other times when I'm clicking on 1 and only 1 item to drag, it will grab a 2nd item and 1 of the items disappears into the ether.

Logging back in, retrieves the lost items, but I shouldn't have 12+ items disappear in 2 hours of playing.

Steps to reproduce: It's inconsistent, but just dragging items between storage and inventory or vice versa. It's happening really really often.

It's happened to all kinds of items. Gear, Cotos, Mats, Reagents. Pretty much anything and everything including a full stack of arrows which is really annoying since I'm an archer and I wasn't even trying to move them and they weren't selected.

User specs: Windows 10, 16GB, steam.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  2. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Sigh... I just went back in game. Moved 2 items separately and while moving the 2nd item it happened again already, it vanished. Really SUPER annoying!!!!

It's getting to the point where I just can't do anything with inventory, which makes the game unplayable.

3. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Just logged in again and 6 items re-appeared from when I last logged in a few hours ago. This shows how common the items are being lost. Earlier today it was 12 items that went missing. Now another 6 items. It's ridiculous how often this occurs. I can literally see the small icon disappear as I hover over the container / vendor I'm dragging the item to, and just as I'm about to release the mouse button (but before I do), the item vanishes.

4. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Logged in to water my plants. You'd think it'd be relatively simple to do... What happens, I harvested some of the plants, then went to move seeds to my task bar so I could re-plant... Poof... their gone before my mouse drag even leaves my inventory interface.

As a game developer I don't get how the simple action of moving an item from inventory doesn't work consistently and with a proper fail safe that doesn't require logging out and in.

This is getting nuts.

5. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Got hit yet again by this bug. Logged in. First thing I did was get a new pet necklace from my inventory. Tried to wear it. Necklace disappeared. No longer in inventory or on my equipped gear.

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Hello there,

Are you OPENING the Container / Vendor before trying to drag and drop or are you just trying to drag and drop ON TO the Vendor/ Chest?

Are you dragging this to your character or your paper doll?

7. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Yes container and vendor were open. I've done this without only rare disappearances for roughly 5 months, approx 2000 hours of game time. It's only the last week where things have been disappearing a LOT.

Yes dragging to character slot. It just vanished when I released it.

8. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Trying to show how often this occurs. Played today with relatively small amount of inventory management. I noticed several items disappear during the day.

Logged out with only a stack of arrows unlocked so everything else was locked or in locked containers (not including quest items and equipped tools). When I re-logged in a minute later I had the following items. Most of which I'd seen disappear.
    Wooden Taming Necklace
    Chunk of Coal (279)
    Cooking Pot
    Copper Ingot (472)
    Ruined Stone Arch
    Tanning Knife
    Wood Rasp

So that's 7 items that disappeared during today's play.

This is not a small problem. It is an extremely regular occurrence.

It's sad that I posted this several days ago, along with an email to support and I have had absolutely no response from any team member.

9. Toular

Toular Avatar

Do you have any search filters "active" on either container?

10. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

nope. The items are disappearing, I can 100% guarantee that, believe me I've been making a very careful analysis of what is occurring. I've seen items disappear even if they were not the item I was currently grabbing. Typically the item next to it in inventory but not always. I've done thorough searches to verify on source, destination, all other open containers, and nearby closed containers, as well as the decor palette. In all cases the items re-appear when I re-login even though they were not in inventory when I logged out with no filters active when I logged out or in. I wouldn't mind if it was the odd item but it's far from a rare occurrence approaching somewhere around 5% of all inventory transfers.

I've heard from other players that the issue is occurring more often recently. I do not know their specifics on how often or what exactly occurred for them.

I can't replicate the issue on a single attempt, but it will happen often. Often enough that the last several logins it has occurred to me withing minutes of login. I have over 2000 hours in game, these are not items that I'm simply misplacing. I see them disappear. In most cases they disappear before I even attempt to drop the selected item in a destination container / vendor / gear slot / crafting station.

I generally keep my inventory extremely clean, most often with just my arrows stack in it and whatever specific items I am using at the time for crafting or transferring between locations. So it is very evident to me when something goes missing. I almost never use filters, except on rare occasions since a clean inventory means I have no need to. Typically I have fewer then 20 items in inventory, unless I'm returning from adventuring, which I then immediately clean out. I do a lot of inventory management as I have 10 active vendors selling dozens to several hundred items fairly often within a single day, so that extensive inventory activity is likely why I see it occur so often. ie I do a lot, so I'm hit by the bug extremely often. I ALWAYS finish my day with only my stack of arrows unlocked in inventory, all other items are locked or in containers within inventory. So having items re-appear, especially items that I visibly saw disappear is obvious.

I've seen 3 main ways the items disappear.

1) Most often when dragging item A sometimes item B next to item A on the inventory list will suddenly get picked up, even though I made no attempt to pick it up; item A will disappear, is no longer being "grabbed" by the mouse and is not in any inventory or any other location. Instead item B is now being grabbed by the mouse. Item A only re-appears after re-login.

2) When dragging item A it suddenly just disappears before I've finished transferring the item. This can happen while the mouse is over the initial container, between containers, or over the destination container. In all cases the item is just gone. It's not in inventory or located anywhere on the lot or on the lots decoration palette, on vendor, or any other container. Again, it only re-appears after re-login.

3) When dragging item A, a totally unrelated item Z in inventory vanishes. As far as I can tell this is rare, but I have seen it happen several times. I still have item A grabbed by the mouse. I've seem this happen twice with my stack of arrows, but also other items. I know specifically I did not touch, hover over, drag over, or in any way do anything related to my arrow stack or come anywhere close to it with the mouse. The items only re-appear after re-login.

It does not seam to be related to any specific type of item. I've seen it happen with gear, seeds, repair kits, decor, harvested crops, extra tools, and other items.

I don't know if the regularity of this issue is game related, microsoft related, or unity related. We do know it occurred on rare occasions before now, so we know something in game is broken, and whatever the issue is that magnified it within the last week or so, the original problem needs a fix or a better fail safe that does not require logging out and in every time. It happens way too often for re-login to remain an acceptable solution to the disappearing item issue.

11. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Just did some enchanting. Roughly 50 - 60 items but I didn't count. During the process 3 gear items and 10 mandrake disappeared. Not sure how the mandrake disappeared as my focus was on the gear items; but I saw 2 of the gear items disappear when dragged to the crafting box, the other piece of gear disappeared when being dragged out of it. Typically selecting the recipe grabs the same item from inventory when enchanting or master working gear, in this case it no longer pulled the missing item and pulled a different item from that point on. One other thing happened. The crafting station broke each time the 2 gear items disappeared in it. Even though a valid set of materials were placed to enchant and the tool had durability, the crafting button would not enable. I was forced to close the station and re-open it. In both cases after placing the EXACT same items in the crafting station I was able to proceed with the enchant. So whatever the disappearance issue is, theirs definitely some residue left in the station that breaks it. This also includes selection of the enchant recipe where it auto-loads a new set of items to craft. Even under that condition it would NOT craft any further items.

Again, I cleared everything from inventory except my arrows, locked items, containers, quest items and tool set. No filters on. Logged out and in. The 3 missing gear items and 10 mandrake then re-appeared in main inventory alongside the arrows.

12. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Items are still disappearing. I haven't done as much inventory management but every game session theirs a few items that disappear. They always re-appear after logging out and in but it's still a pain, especially when the item is critical to whatever I'm doing.

13. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@Jakkal

Thank you for all of the reports, and sorry to hear about the issue that you have been experiencing. I will do some investigation into this issue to see if I can find anything that might cause it. Please let us know if you are able to narrow down any steps to reliably reproduce the issue. If it is at all possible for you to provide, a video of the issue occurring may be helpful, although you have described the issue in great detail already.

14. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Thanks for looking into this Wizardsmoke. Not sure if I can make a video of it but I'll see what I can do. It's not a 100% replicable bug and not consistent in the way the items disappear so their may be several issues. It does happen a lot though. I can't play without it happening at least once, and typically several times.

It may be a data issue with having multiple vendors in one town. In my case I have 10 vendors that are mostly fully stocked. Or it could be just that I do sooo much inventory management that the bug just occurs a lot for me.

15. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

This is still occurring. Stack of newly bought deco lighting disappeared today. Yes it re-appears after login again but its really annoying to have to re-login multiple times a day just to get stuff back that disappeared.

16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

@wizardsmoke I have reported this issue at least twice in the last 6+ months. Please don't make me hunt down the bug posts I made, just know that I made them and have complained about this.

I am here because it is still happening.

Two scenarios:
    1. Open bank. Open inventory. Open bags in bank which I use to store things (each crafting skill, salvageable gear, etc.). I opened my Blacksmithing bag in the bank first. I separately dragged Granite Rock, Iron and Nickel (in that order) from my inventory and placed it in the bag I opened for Blacksmithing which is in my bank. No problem. I dragged Tungsten to place it in the open Blacksmithing bag which is in my bank and as I released the icon changed. What occurred is my Tungsten is missing until I log back in, but instead it dropped Maple Tree Bark, which was in my inventory, into the Blacksmith bag I use in my bank. Again, I know without doing it (because I have done it multiple times) that when I re-log the Tungsten will be in my bag. Currently, however, it does not appear in my bag, so it's temporarily in the ether.
    2. Open crafting table to craft. Take items from the lower right portion of the crafting window (representing items in my personal inventory) to drag into the top right portion of the crafting window and things sporadically disappear. They reappear when I re-log. This happened a few weeks ago to me, and I'm sure it will happen again because statistically it does. Sorry to sound cheeky, but this is a notorious bug that has plagued me personally for a very long time. If it wasn't for this instance of this bug I'd think it was having multiple bags as containers in my bank, but this happens separately.

17. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Ya that's definitely similar to what happens for me. The item I've selected switches to another item, and the selected item just disappears into the ether is probably the issue that occurs most often. Typically it's the item that was next to it in inventory but not always. In other cases the item just disappears at some point when moving between inventories.

It's a bug that has affected a lot of players because its well known among the players. Several have also told me that its been occurring significantly more often in the past couple months.

Magnus Zarwaddim likes this.
  18. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

This is still happening. The latest occurrence was when I was using the alchemy station. After loading the enchantment recipe and dragging a gear item from the crafting inventory section to a backpack the gear item mid drag (not ever going over the 10 mandrake) instead placed the 10 mandrake in the backback and the gear item vanished. Additionally the work station became unusable for any alchemy recipe until I'd exited and re-activated the alchemy station. So the gear item was somehow preventing any crafting recipe from working.

19. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Since this is hard to reproduce, I came up with a different way to possibly shed some light on this issue. In the chat window, you can type /note [note text]. This will log a timestamped note that can be read by developers. Doing this immediately when this bug occurs will help us pinpoint the area in the logs to look for any related messages logged by the game.

When the bug happens, please immediately log a note and then post the time and note text here in this thread. I will then use that information to find the note that you logged and inspect the preceding logs for clues.

I'm not sure if this will lead to a fix, but it might! Thanks again for all of the help tracking this down.

Magnus Zarwaddim, Alley Oop and Anpu like this.
  20. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

@wizardsmoke /note Zarwaddim 5-28-2020, 8:47PM ET: Moved Citrine Fragment from my inventory to a bag in my bank for Alchemy. Instead, picked up Pristine Obsidian Bear Head and placed it in the Alchemy bag in my bank. Citrine Fragment not in my inventory.

I'm going to posit a guess. It happens while the mouse pointer is still inside my Inventory window. The Pristine Obsidian Bear Head was not alphabetically after the Citrine Fragment on the list, and it happened at a point where I was moving out of the Inventory window. This makes sense to me since where the Citrine Fragment in my bag was, the motion to drag was down and to the right to get it into my Alchemy bag in my bank (the Alchemy bag was open). So I passed over stuff in my inventory until I got to the Pristine Obsidian Bear Head and it picked that up. Before I noticed I was dropping into the Alchemy bag in my bank.

Please note, the other problem I've posted about is moving stuff from the "your inventory" section of the crafting window and bringing it up to the box above, but it's the same concept - when it leaves your inventory area of the screen.

Sorry for the verbose explanation. Want to try to give you as much as possible to help track the problem down. :)