1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fix Needs Testing 66405] Non-hostile creatures on the overland map ignore spawn protection

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Anpu, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

02/14/2020 08:05
    Title: The Stag creature on the overland map is missing the check for spawn protection
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker?
    Details: The Stag creature that is on the overland map doesn't have the check to see if a player has the temporary spawn protection on them, and immediately draws them into the Stag encounter scene. I assume this setting is set on the faction that the overland Stag creature is set to, and is missing this field. Bandits, Travellers and Skeletons do check for the spawn protection effect on a player and work correctly.

The overland Stag creature is supposed to first check if the player has the Spawn Protection effect on them, and if so, will not draw them into the Stag encounter scene. It is not currently doing this.

Steps to Reproduce: Enter any overland encounter and then exit the scene. Player will now have a temporary Spawn Protection effect on them. While this effect is still on, approach a Stag Encounter and immediately be pulled into the scene (the Stag Creature on the overland map is not checking if the player has spawn protection on them). Of note, the other creatures on the overland map (Bandits, Travellers, Skeletons) DO check if the player has the temporary spawn protection and will not pull them into an encounter while the effect is still active on the player.

This is 100% repeatable (but difficult to time correctly, due to the short duration of the Spawn Protection effect).

If you need any more information on this issue, please let me know and I can further clarify the issue, as well as a suggestion on how you could 100% verify and check this, due to the short duration of the Spawn Protection effect.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1119.Date.02.11.20
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (373.9, 21.1, 310.1)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgzNzMuOTI1LCAyMS4xNDQsIDMxMC4xMzkpfCgwLCAtMC43NzgsIDAsIC0wLjYyOCl8MTAyLjU5MTl8MzEuMzA3MXwyMA==

Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

all nonhostile encounters have this problem; it also applies to dog encounters and the traveller encounters in the perennial coast and longfall/verdantis.

Numa and Anpu like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Oh yeah they do. They probably all are using the same faction, but the function to check for spawn protection is probably missing in that factions definition.

4. Toular

Toular Avatar

This totally confused me yesterday ... Left a skeleton encounter, ran to the fridge to get a soda, came back and found myself seemingly back in the same scene ... Took me a couple of seconds to figure it out. Fortunately if was a forest road encounter and I do need silver ... (there's like 6 silver nodes there)

Numa likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s actually normal behavior. When exiting a scene, you get spawn protection for only 30 seconds. After it expires, any overland creature that spots you will then pull you into the encounter scene.

Edit: Spawn Protection lasts around 15 seconds.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. Toular

Toular Avatar

Yes, but my fridge is only 4 seconds away from my computer.

Anpu likes this.
  7. Alley Oop

i just stopwatched it and got 15.3. (i'm not a very good stopwatcher.) i don't see it listed in the player instructions; it just says "a few." do you have a reference for the 30 number? because 30 would be nice.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Sorry yes, it's 15 (around) seconds for spawn protection.

9. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the report and additional notes! Issue #66405

Numa and Anpu like this.
  10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

10/19/2022 12:29
    Title: Double Encounter on worldmap
    Reproduction Rate:no
    Blocker?no
    Details:In Longfalls region, near the Wetlands I had an overland encounter with a Stag that lead to a plains encounter. Killed the stags, 3 Obsidian Stags appeared but I managed to finish them off one after one. Bounty Hunter appeared and handed me the slip of paper for the reward, so I left the scene. Overland map appeared again with the Stag next to me and immediately, without even moving, I was drawn into a Stag encounter again, only this time a street encounter with 3 stags...
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics (12) System RAM: 15742
    GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics GPU RAM: 4431
    SotA.Win.64.1588.Date.10.14.22
    Area: RandomEncounter_Forest01_Road/Stag_Panther
    Area Display Name: Forest Road Encounter
    Loc: (54.0, 32.9, 64.1)
    Debug: UmFuZG9tRW5jb3VudGVyX0ZvcmVzdDAxX1JvYWR8U3RhZ19QYW50aGVyfCg1My45OSwgMzIuODUzLCA2NC4xMTMpfCgwLCAwLjk4NSwgMCwgMC4xNzEpfC0yMTkuMzc3M3wxNS4wNjA3M3wxLjI1

11. Alley Oop

fix needs testing as of 1675