Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sugar Cookies... are they worth the cost to make them?

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Daxxe Diggler, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Looking at the new cooking recipes and new buffs associated with foods in R34, I noticed that the best Focus per second regen food is the Sugar Cookie. So, I decided to figure out if they would be cost effective to use them on a regular basis. Here is what I found.

Currently, Sugar Cookies are made from merchant bought ingredients only (except for the coal if we want to get technical... you can harvest this if you know where to look). Here is the recipe to make them:

Sugar Cookies (Yields 10 Cookies)
    (1) Coal ----- 6g
    (2) Sack of Flour ----- 12g (See Below)
    (2) Butter ----- 20g (See Below)
    (4) Sack of Sugar ----- 16g (4g each on merchant)
    (1) Sack of Salt ----- 2g

Total cost to make 10 cookies is 56g.

Flour and Butter are not store bought, but are made from only store bought ingredients:

Sack of Flour (Yields 1 Sack)
    (1) Sack of Wheat ----- These cost 6g each

Butter (Yields 1 Butter)
    (1) Bottle of Milk ----- These cost 10g each
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On a side-note, why do we need to make the Sack of Flour and Butter if they each use 1 ingredient that is purchasable on a merchant? Why not just sell the end product on the merchant and save us the time to make them? There is no cost savings in making them as they are a 1:1 ratio of ingredient to end product.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, so making 10 cookies costs you 56g in merchant bought ingredients. That comes to 5.6g per cookie. That may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, but for a buff that lasts only 1 minute it is a pretty hefty price to pay IMO. The way focus regen is now, you can burn through 1 at the end (and/or beginning) of every fight and you can go through quite a lot of them in a few hours of playing.

I can see myself making around 50 and going thru all of them in one evening. That would cost me 280g per night, just to help with focus recovery. Is that worth it? For some rich folks that might be a no brainer. But for those who are trying to be frugal, that might not be doable.

2. moko

moko Avatar

I think what makes them really unattractive is that the buff only lasts 1 minute. It takes quite a long time to eat, then you have to get to the enemy, then your buff has already worn off...

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

What are the stats on these cookies? 1 minute is way too low for sure.

4. moko

moko Avatar

+3 Focus/second for 1 minute

uhop and Fister Magee like this.
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

That is another good point that I forgot to mention. The eating animation takes about 10 seconds just to eat the cookie.

For a buff that lasts only 1 minute, it's not even feasible to chain use them since the 10 seconds to eat is a hindrance to doing that.

Chatele, uhop and Fister Magee like this.
  6. moko

moko Avatar

Can food buffs be chained? Or do they replace one another as with drinking multiple Obsidian potions of one kind?

7. uhop

uhop Avatar

From my experience --- no. Which begs another question: why do we have so much different food? I made a pumpkin pie, and while it is better than a bark bread, it is worse than some other dishes. Would I make it again? I don't see why --- there is no reason. I will do just one dish --- the one that gives me maximal benefits.

Chatele likes this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

Desserts seem to be "bad for you" in general. I make them anyways, though. :D

4EverLost and Spoon like this.
  9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

There's lots of reasons beyond the buffs provided to make food. Mainly for Roleplaying and hopefully decorative purposes moving forward. To speak to the idea that butter requires milk, but milk is only available from merchants, well, eventually we should be able to harvest nearly 100% of all food ingredients, so it makes sense that butter is not a raw material, like a banana is, so it should have to be "crafted". It will fit it better once more of the food system is fleshed out, this is simply laying the groundwork.

4EverLost and moko like this.
  10. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I for one think that the time it takes to consume the food should directly correspond to the how long the buff lasts. ie. sugar cookie takes 1 second to scarf down, but gives only 1 min buff, fine. But Bark Bread takes 20 seconds to eat and provides 20 minutes buff, something along those lines.

4EverLost and Spoon like this.
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

The only reason to do recipes that aren't worth it, is because the first few times you make the item, it grants more producer XP than normal. This is true for all crafted goods, afaik. Or was true, last time I was watching for it... :) So I will be crafting these around 3-5 times, then no more likely. 5 minute duration would make these something I'd carry around and make more of for future needs, until I know of a better recipe that does more than 2.5 focus regen! :)

12. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Bump the buff up to +5 focus regen, +5 health regen and +2 to each base stat (Int/Dex/Str), for 1 min.

Then its worth it, and the food of choice for duels.

I thought you could run two different food buffs at once. Maybe this was changed recently though.

moko, Fister Magee and 4EverLost like this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

'Still true - did exactly that with cooking and watched the XP rain down upon me.

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You still can - at least a few days ago you could - haven't been play a few days now. For me at 3x lvl, coleslaw (sp?) and cake had a better regen than r33 alone. :rolleyes: Couldn't understand why people were complaining on the QA server:p

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I thought the design was supposed to have
    1 - drink
    1 - "dinner"
    1 - dessert

?

At least that is what Richard talked about all that time ago in Nature for Nutrition.

I didn't even think of testing eating two similar type foods.

16. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I'm guessing this is where they're headed. I think the two food buffs at once is kind of a test run on the system.

Spoon likes this.
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Methinks adventurers seldom ate plates of cookies before battle. Perhaps working as intended?

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well, my focus is mostly drained - after - battle, so eating a cookie to celebrate my hard earned victory while the focus pool regenerate seems like it must be emergent gameplay...
    :p:p

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  19. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yea, currently, you can have 2 food buffs active at once. But I suspect that will change once drinks or brewing comes online.

When the buff channels were introduced in R26 or something, there was supposed to be 3 "channels" for buffs. 2 were supposed to be for foods/drinks and 1 was reserved for the blessings from towns you visit. These were supposed to be separate from the skill/spell type buffs from adventure skill trees.

20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

It should be noted though that although you can have 2 food buffs right now, some will cancel/replace existing ones. I think they will "stack" if they are in different tiers and generally that will mean they have different durations. If 2 foods have the same duration and similar stats, they will likely replace an existing one.

For example, Grannus Beef Stew gives +2 Health per second, +2 Focus per second, and +1 Strength for 1 hour. If you eat a Chaox Pork and Beef Loaf (same buffs) it will replace the Grannus Beef Stew. Also, if you eat Darkstarr Fried Oysters (+2 Health per second, +2 Focus per second, and +1 Intelligence for 1 hour)... I'm pretty sure that will also replace the Grannus Beef Stew.

Fister Magee and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.