Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggestion: Add chat to loading screens.

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Net, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Seriously, I am exploring Novia, and I visitied about 15 random encounters by now, yet I still have not discovered village I am looking for. I spend more time on loading screens than playing, give me something to do when the scenes are loading. I mean something else than smashing my keyboard:D

Gatsu., Logain, By Tor [MGT] and 15 others like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'd say I'd rather have my Journal and make some notes of my own...
    :D
    Because without loadscreens I'd never get around to it....

3. Wyr

Wyr Avatar

I know it's completely early-access and all, but they should try to pre-load some of the maps, like the random encounter maps while in overland. Ideally get it to zero loading time, but anything goes.

Net likes this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

At the very least the overland map yould be loaded in the background... Especially during random encounters.

By Tor [MGT] and Aartemis like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I wonder if this would cause undue lag for those not getting random encounters, especially if they are in a location that bounces between multiple zones quickly.

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I wonder if they could have real-time information (aka "fun facts") for a loading screen? They could show a certain crafting table (cooking, blacksmithing, etc) and give the name of the latest player who has achieved grandmaster in that skill. Or show a skeleton warrior with the information that this creature is responsible for the most kills of avatars in New Britannia. Show a shardfall with the name of the player with the most pvp kills that day (or for all time). I'm not sure how much dev time that would take but it would be fun and informative to read.

Net and Aartemis like this.
  7. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I love the idea of pre-loading maps. There are lots of options, one might be, as you exit a scene, you are asked: "Where dost thou head?"

This way, right after loading the Overworld (if it isn't already pre-loaded) it can start background loading of the destination assets. When you enter, it should only need to load the changed world data. Though I think it would just be easier to start loading data as you near a city.

Also, whenever it loads the Overworld, it should also load any random encounters in the vicinity of the Avatar. Since random encounters will be more like story scenes then what we are seeing now, there will probably only be one or so in the area (i.e. Gypsy Wagon, Skeletons attacking a Caravan), this way if you are pulled in, its already loaded.

IIRC one of the big problems right now is that everything is reloading every time, not just unique data. I'm sure as they move into Beta and optimizing, they will start pre-loading forest assets while you are in that area, same with desert or swamp. As you Transition from one area on the Overworld map to the next it can load the shared assets for that biome type. With all that is changing, it's a little silly to do all that now. Code it once you have all the final assets nailed down.

By Tor [MGT] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.