[Suggestion] Quest Reputation System(sorta..)

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Max Bennis, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

As official release date is drawing VERY near(and yes, it's about time!), I'm getting ready for my one time only quest wipe. Hope to experience much more polished main/sub quests, which is the main reason I play the game.
    While SotA is a MMORPG with story-driven, rich lore filled world, a bit more lively feature would vitalize it.
    Thus, I suggest Quest Reputation System.

1) Completing Quests/interaction with NPCs provide reputation point, which affects NPCs' reaction and more.
    * Player is an outworlder with his/her fate is intertwined with the world.
    He/She maybe unknown to New Britannians when first arrived at Isle of Storms,
    but as main and sub quests progresses, his/her reputation will grow and be known to the many.
    → Completion of main/sub quests and interacting with NPCs(talking, buying/selling, housing and etc)
    provide reputation point
    → Your reputation can be acknowledged from reaction of NPCs.
    → High rep points may provide extra advantage when you sell/buy items from NPC vendors

2) Certain amount of reputation point triggers additional quests
    *If your rep point is high enough, a NPC with quest will approach towards you to ask favor as you enter town, thus begins a quest which was unavailable at low rep state.
    → This gives players a reason to explore towns and other zones, and provide immersion to the world, because result of player's action is visibly implemented to the world.
    Also, in order to find high rep quests, players may visit places again, else would've been forgotten
    to them once business is done.
    → Rep quests can be daily, thus motivate consistent adventuring.(Post EP1 plan features daily quest, so devs can implement this idea to it)

Now I also gave a thought to link reputation system to current virtue affinity system, but that'd cause bad drawback since some people want to play a role of evil incarnate and don't want to miss quests at the same time. So high rep players is whether revered(white Shroud) or feared(black Shroud) :)

The idea is very sketchy at the moment, and I'll add some more whenever it crosses my mind.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

addrox likes this.
  2. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I believe the limiting factor is flexibility in NPC dialogues and flags/scores they can use. @Lum the Mad should be able to comment on this.

Max Bennis likes this.
  3. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

THx for the direction @Jens_T

4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I do not think using the virtue system should exclude anyone from quests...instead I would suggest that the devs would implement some NPCs that offer the same quest with slightly changed intention depending on your reputation.

NPC-A is offering his version of the quest-start to everyone with a love value below -20
    NPC-B is offering his version of the quest-start to everyone with a love value of -20 to +20
    NPC-C is offering his version of the quest-start to everyone with love above +20

Basically it is the same quest everyone of these NPCs is offering but the wording is different as their intention is different.
    E.g. NPC-A is telling you that there is some stranger stalking his son’s girlfriend and you are asked to take care of this sucker but he is just aksing avatars who are not following the path of love and NPC-C might be talking about some lovers that are forced to hide because the woman is already bespoken but is just asking avatars that follow the path of love.
    Even if you started at NPC-C you might chose to divorce the lovers and get in the end a reward from NPC-A or get a reward from NPC-C for disbanding the engagement even if you started at NPC-A. Your reputation would just give you a different start but the quest itself would be open and you could solve the problem some way or another even if there would be a gentle push to follow one way by the quest-starter. ;)

The difference for the avatars would be just the reaction of the different NPC after completing the quest as some might like what you did and joyfully greeting you while others might not be that happy with your decision and just moody reply if you ask them something.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. Aelender

Aelender Avatar

Further to this, I think reputation quests opening up after the main questlines are done would be great. I.E. After courage is completed, you can start doing quests to gain rep for the Kobolds for access to kobold-esque weapons/armor/deco. Same with fauns after Truth.

Max Bennis likes this.
  6. addrox

addrox Avatar

Need this bad ... Risk vs reward ... Glorious vs Dread ... Would love this especially on what choices a person makes while completing a quest.

Max Bennis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.