Suggestion: Turning Double XP Weekends into Double XP Potions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Complicationatbirth, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I see your point, I just realized that all the alts would also have double XP potions, and there would be potions everywhere. As it is now it's a timed thing so unless you're some sort of gaming wizard and can multibox grind, you're only taking advantage of the double XP one at a time. People could have many accounts, push all their potions to their main, and have double XP all the time.

amarious and Synergy Blaize like this.
  2. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

That's why everyone has Opinions. You Don't agree with mine and I don't agree with yours

Mishras and Brewton like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I wouldn't mind this change if they could make potions that were bound to account.

However, the main issue here is that when we have double XP, it's a switch that is made on the server for all experience earn rates.

In order to make potions to satisfy this reward instead, they would need to come up with coding that allows different xp rates for individual players. I could be wrong, but I don't know if that's a possibility right now.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Could bind them to accounts, like the row lot deed you get from the main quest.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And my main reason for wanting this is events. Events are usually on the weekends. Now they are directly competing with double xp. How many would go to an event but can't because they feel the xp is more important?

gtesser, Hazard and amarious like this.
  6. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

I think it's a great idea. But you know some asshat is going to find a way to exploit it and ruin it for all, right?

Jaesun and Brewton like this.
  7. amarious

amarious Avatar

A bit more people would be in The Obsidian Trials for sure.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m also one of the people who work weekends. Every time during a livestream there’s the double XP weekends, I just sigh. I won’t be purchasing anything from the store towards that goal. That stretch goal literally does nothing for me.

A possible, and easier solution might be the double XP runs from midnight Thursday to midnight Monday. I could at least take advantage of one of those days....

This is really frustrating for me.

9. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Very good point @Nikko
    As long as it doesn't turn into a P2W scenario, I'm fine with it. Could be given out as prizes for various contests as well, obsidian trials rewards and other ways for the non-pvp crowd.

Nikko likes this.
  10. Complicationatbirth

Complicationatbirth Avatar

pretty much everyone agrees that pay to win is bad, so we go back to my original suggestion.

Non-Tradable, Non-Sellable, and Non-Placeable, aka red items like the coins from the obsidian trials, now we just need a delivery method. Either the oracle, mailed out, or claim from rewards. claim from rewards might actually be the worst because it does not benefit those that cannot afford to put in 5 bucks for the telethon.

Honestly I think the oracle is the best solution, it gets people to log in and collect them on those days and they cant stack 6 months of rewards in the mail. PLUS the oracle already has daily quests, could just add to it.

amarious and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  11. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I'd leave it as is for now, maybe alter in episode 2, the Dev team have more than enough to fix, develop etc. already without this 'nice to have' feature. I appreciate it doesn't work for everyone but that's life and this feature isn't a game breaker for those missing out at present from feedback in this thread.

Brewton likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Life is not fair. There are players that have bought apparently like 50,000 dollars worth of stuff in game. Is it fair ? No.

I'm all for rotating the double xp times tho for those that don't work 9/5 type jobs.

Mishras and Brewton like this.
  13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Honestly, the full-week-of-double XP catered to everyone's jobs/schedules. The weekend thing I admit, is probably a poor solution.
    I'd suggest we just go back to that, rather than inventing a whole potion thing which will take time and dev effort.

"But Shim, people who don't have jobs can grind for all 7 days and I can only grind in evenings or my day off."
    -- Yeah, that's the case with or without double, the people who can play more can well, play more. Double or no double, doesn't change anything.

Here's why I don't like potions. At the moment, we are finally seeing some group activity pick up. But with the XP attenuation (which I absolutely think needs to stay, not having an issue with that), you see quite often groups will grind for a bit, then take a break when they attenuate. Everyone in the group gets XP at the same rate and can take a break together. Now if half the people in the group are 'on the potion' - they will attenuate faster, and they will be ready for a break, and the rest of the group will not. So they will either have to stay and waste their time, or more likely, leave, and the group will have to find another person, or go on break anyway and well..I think it just adds an unnecessary complication / disincentive to the grouping that we are finally starting to see.

I don't like the potions because the compulsion to grind when double is on is already bad enough. If I "waste" my consumable I will even more so compelled since its no longer just taking advantage of a temporary server setting but actually using something rare and nonrenewable to activate an effect that I surely want to get maximum benefit out of.

I'm also concerned about the precedent - if these things exist, even as non tradeable account bound whatnot, I am strongly concerned about the potential someday selling of them which crosses us firmly into P2W territory.

I've said elsewhere that this 'double' nonsense is having an adverse affect on the overall pulse of the community, its priorities, and on how people interact with each other. Honestly, all of the downsides to this double are because of one reason, the limited-time nature of it. It would make a lot more sense to me to just adjust the base progression rate and stop with the limited time events, that removes all the urgency to 'grind grind grind' but still allows people to catch up and is fair to "everyone."

As an interesting aside, rather than a potion, I'd rather see the old daily bonus system come back - where the first xx amount of XP (scaled by your level) that you earned per day was doubled, for both producer, and adventuring. You had little icons on the top of your screen that would go away when you'd burned off your bonus. This encouraged you to log on and play daily but after an hour or so you'd used up bonus time and you were less compelled to grind. It was based on the amount of experience earned, NOT a timer, which made it less urgent - you only missed out if you didn't get it done before the next day's reset.

Using that tech, I'd rather see potions that did something of that nature if we are going to have potions. Honestly, I'd rather we just do something like that to begin with. This system already existed pre-persistence so it wouldn't necessarily require a lot of effort to turn it back on.

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I hate dbl xp weekends, if xp is a problem and I dont think it is then fix the problem and remove decay its stupid.

Id be a fan of power hour- the first hour you log in every day you get dbl xp.

Id also be a fan of zones being selected and doubled i.e some event that causes craig foothills to pay dbl xp.

Double exp weekends force the feeling I have to grind all weekend long, and not fair for those who are not avail on weekends.

Mishras, Gravidy, kaeshiva and 3 others like this.
  15. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I suppose, but my main point (is it pay2win?) is a fact, and not my opinion. It is the very definition of pay2win. And my other point (mass exodus if this is done), may be speculation on my part, but I suggest it is a strong possibility.

16. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

How about Double XP for one month per year?

17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is a very good point. That messes up everything when doing some really productive content in a group.

Brewton likes this.
  18. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

So this would be a Freetowin concept another item portalarium would have to create and put time into which does not help them pay bills

19. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I am pretty sure the best answer would be to incorporate a "power hour" a concept from UO where for the first hour you log in you get double xp.

20. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Award bonus XP's for critical successes... For example, bonus Adventurer XP's for kills made with critical hits and bonus Producer XP's for meticulous collections.

Rentier and yinki2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.