Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggestions for Ardoris

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Sinclair, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I know DarkStarr wrote this is a first initial release for Ardoris, but let me describe my impressions and my suggestions for Ardoris (and maybe in general for scenes).
    • I like the idea of a city of canals, i love Venice and Amsterdam, but the canals of Ardoris feels a bit checkered as like developed on a checkboard and not natural grown. Put more live and objects to the canals and their environment!
    • I am missing some more details in the streets of the city. Its to steril. It feels without live. No medieval city is so clean. No algae on the stone walls where the water of the canals is running, no bushes, no trees, no green in general, no garbage, no flower, no cats and dogs are wandering around, no hay, no wall painting, only some watcher are walking around and some birds are flying....its a dead city...
    • Is the lawn around the city mowed ( i have seen this in a lot of scenes)? I know the textures...but what i mean is that i am really missing a more natural environment to bring immersion to the scene. Around the city of ardoris are trees placed on the lawn textures. They are simply placed "unnatural" and it has nothing to do with something grown.I have seen this kind of placement in a lot of scenes. There are no details no nice objects..nothing. Not only single stone or trunk is placed on the ground. The environment feels like only being a placeholder for the scene
    What i simply want to say: Ardoris currently does not have any kind of immersion and live. And some other scenes also missing some kind of natural grown environment and more details and live in general. My apologies, i am confident there will be some changes and i hope you will pick up my critics in a positive way to make the game even better.

Gaelis, Time Lord, Jynx and 4 others like this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

It's was like taking a 3D tour. I agree with you 100%, if they're going to bring in a new area, it needs to have some more to do than just walk around and look at things like a museum.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I didn't have too much time to put into this release but on first impression wasn't really feel much of a change from the look of Ardoris v Kingsport coming in off the docks. Things were a bit more majestic coming in from the farther side (after falling into the water) and seeing the towering bridge looming high above. Anyway my suggestion is to make some slight adjustments to the front view coming in directly from the rowboat teleporters, give it more of a distinct impression of finally arriving at the much hinted at foreboding mainland beyond the limiting defining characteristics of a few curved spires. My limited impression 2 cents.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

They need some sea birds on the rocks!

Probably just some seagulls, they're a good stock seabird that could be re-used anywhere.

Although there are all sorts of seabirds that show up on docks, like cormorants, herons, cranes, egrets, pelicans, etc.

Arianna, Gaelis and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well, in Hong Kong...
    :oops: What started as this...
    [​IMG]
    Tuned into this :oops:...
    [​IMG]
    and looked this this :oops: ...
    [​IMG]
    So, it may have looked allot better before it became such a large checkerboard city... :)
    [​IMG]
    Same place 1865 :oops:...
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. danceswithstaplers

danceswithstaplers Avatar

I was actually really impressed with Ardoris. I do understand the comments about it feeling lifeless at this point. But this is going to be a central hub of trade and commerce. Once the game launches there will be lots of activity going on. I'm sure there's some details that can be added, but for a first iteration I thought it was very good.

Arianna, Gaelis and Time Lord like this.
  7. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Well, maybe you forgot that there are also players outside which play offline or single player online. The current city will still be a dead city. For me i am planning mostly to play Single Player online. I have not much interest in an SotA MMO and nearly zero interest in PvP. I pledged, because i thought SotA will be an Ultima successor. Also remind that max 64 players can enter an instance. I promise you, at the end the city is as i am saying. I still hope they polish it and fill it with more NPC/animal live and with much more details. Again the designn of the city and e.g. the walls and environment is to steril. I do not expect mega graphics as like in Skyrim, but i expect a lovely desgin full of details as it has been already realized like in Ultima 7.

Time Lord and Vyrin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.