Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggestions: not so much feedback

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by graylake21, Feb 19, 2015.

?

Monks!?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2015.
  1. Yes!

16.7%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. While Interesting, I would prefer a focus on more content as is!

50.0%
  4. I have enjoy monks in the past, but would not like them here.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have ideas as well, and have put them here to add to your idea/concept

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. While, we would all love to see a monk, perhaps next game edition!

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

My goal was simple the objective clear, max level before the release of the new mainlands.
    So far I have tried and mixed and matched plenty of templates only to realize i will offhand spam and double slash, as that is the only thing relatively not broken, and with str pumping, works very well. That said. My experience has been interesting, I whiffed 400 iron ore on an attempt to make a long sword, i've ground 59 levels out of wolves, elves, bears, spiders, skeletons, liches, and yet, I am STILL terrified of ghosts (at 59!)

barring my intro to this conversation, I was hoping to revive a concept idea that might have either been passed up for obvious reasons, or perhaps never discussed!

Trending in POE is the idea of meele combat, while I hate to reference another game, the Monk is a concept that I have grew up with especially in final fantasy tactics, and plenty of other high end titles. In a game where having things in your hands prevents casting, having your bare fists might be advantageous to a caster, who can fireball and proceedingly smack a wolf in the face, as fast as lightning. While this concept is bare, and probably quite naked, I think a Skill tree following in the lines of adding some level of combat focus regen would help the mages right now who are clearly suffering from a problem this alpha very clearly has, and that would be mob-density or over-pulling.

while this is a short-sighted, lament on my part, and i'll be the first to admit it, having some type of inner-chi ability to re-gen focus in combat with heightened defense, and drastically less movement speed, or something like this, (similiar to what is already there for focus) would help casters a bit more who are already in lower grades of armor, and protection, that said having added hardness abilities similiar to earth in the tree would help mitigate some of the edge that warriors blatantly have, even dual wielding i have 36 resistance to armor, as a caster, you truly have to play out your shield capacities, and even that with some shields come at the cost of fizzle.

this idea came to me when i realized I couldn't off hand with my fists, if i removed a weapon. It became clear to me, having grown up in FFT, with dual fist wielding monks, that can heal, remove status effects, regen mana(in this case focus) all the while having extrodinary amounts of health, that it might finally be a good idea to make some mention of this.

Playing as a monk is already lightly armored, having perks that surround that or perhaps even weapons such as fisted nails, (which visually, would be pretty awesome)!

Unfortunately, I can see some of the complaint as inner strength is already available through heavy armor, and light armor gains 44% haste, however, I think having a good medium, and or base line melee class is always a good thing!

perhaps even with some focus-less abilities, since that is primarily my bread and butter with offhand attack spam as it stands. Being able to roll around with the instant spell casts, and my two fists, only to ultimately summon a lich, or a phoenix, oh baby! :)

perhaps even this inner-chi ability might just be a channel for a set amount; putting a delay in combat; but in coupling with magery, would add some synergy effects since spell casters typically have no means of focus once engaged, they hope to dump their mana and win! (not always likely!)

I was going to initially draw up trees, but i would prefer some feedback before i invest more of my own time as i am not a developer, a shaper of worlds, merely a fellow traveler with a want to punch elves square in the jaw for having messed up faces!

other items that it might entail: Pressure points, Kicks, concentrated blow, something with accuracy to perhaps. Flame Fist, earth fist, etc, already exist to some extent (which is awesome if you consider, you might gain bonus damage to them all as a monk!) or perhaps comboing them for a slow/fire effect, or perhaps a lightning/fire fist attack, who knows! Perhaps Blade stealer, or blade catcher, maybe even an ability that would give you the benefit of attack power/haste. The fun principle behind fist related combat is its speed, and it's over-all functionality

{this game seems rather "perky" so having things that are also buffing main abilities, such as "swords,bludgeons,etc" and also having some ability to dual wield multiple weapons, etc, would be interesting yet entirely unrelated to the rest of the comments here}

The options are clearly there, and this is definitely a baseline idea, I know to be "edgy" things can't be "op" or things can't not have a negative to it, and that is well understood, perhaps some of the effects would have an enhanced GCD penalty, having to find a way to priortize haste on gear, or perhaps the introduction of new GI robes would be in order.

The idea while silly, plays on what i feel games like this have always missed to some extent, and looking at some of the moves in tactics already, they have filled in some of the gap on that, body slams! head butts! in a real brawl with someone in plate, it's advantageous to be dexterious, i thought of this while body rolling in full plate, thinking one could stand in over 50lbs of equipment and keep swinging, I thought it were silly that perhaps, there wasn't a class that would play on "trip" and mobility effects exclusively, and i see it fitting to at least pitch the idea, and see how people react, perhaps I'll make a mock up tree in the event of interest!

Tahru likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Mages are currently much more powerful than warriors because they are ranged, out-damage, and cannot be mitigated without alot of skill point investment. On top of this, there are mage builds that work well with armor (I played dual wiedling fire mage in half half plate and leather) and there is an ability in game that increases focus regen while addign a penalty. Sicne mages CAN already wear armor (which is EXTREMELY effective against any melee) and still retain a cast rate over 70%, i dont feel like love is needed there right now. In PvE, a 70ish% success rate for spells works pretty well. In PvP it is gonna be a problem to have anythign under 90%, but that can still be attained with a GOOD shield, which still mitigates melee damage very very well by itself.

In short, anything you wear noticably affects any physical damage you take, while there is 20% max protection agaisnt msot spells trees, each individual passive costing around 40 or 50 skillpoints to aquire. (Fire can be reduced by 80% but the skillpoint cost and deck space required for this is extreme)

Tahru likes this.
  3. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

your change in armor, still alludes you more damage resistance then a warrior, minus the .20 absorption from the chest piece.

and to be honest, I am glad to hear that mages are playable, the focus cost alone scared me out of even trying. But also bear in mind, your effectiveness costs money. Mine doesn't.

So each time you cast, "cha-ching" "cha-ching" "cha-ching"

as far as the 20% resistance, it either doesn't work, or doesn't work well with the hitting from behind; I had skilled into it, only to have my dreams dashed as fire monsters, still pummeled me rather greatly into snot!

Love the feedback though, and thank you for it!

Tahru likes this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Right now? Nope... I just respecced to a dual wield warrior type from a pure fire-death mage (to see how much of a difference two swords with +30% attack speed made). I used ZERO regs, and the worst problem I had was the occasional fizzle when trying to death shield or cast a fire ring. Even with all that, I was able to roll through multiple enemies simultaneously in Deep Ravenswood at level 30-38 because they wouldn't escape the fire dots and couldn't out-dps the life drain. All at no cost, other than to buy a new set of leather occasionally.

Tahru likes this.
  5. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

i know i was there, i watched. :) and, what about archers who move out of your ring of fire? :p

or in this case your immolation (free spells)

Tahru likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

technically all spells are free, they jsut have a higher fizzle chance without regs, which doesnt matter nealry as much in PvE as it does in PvP.

You can use 1 reg for a spell that requires 3 regs and brings its success rate up from 50ish to 60ish

Tahru and gaylike21 like this.
  7. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

technically all spells are free, they jsut have a higher fizzle chance without regs, which doesnt matter nealry as much in PvE as it does in PvP.

You can use 1 reg for a spell that requires 3 regs and brings its success rate up from 50ish to 60ish\​
    didnt realize regs effect chance to cast, neat!​

Tahru likes this.
  8. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

I believe that they also reduce the focus cost of the skill you are using.

Tahru likes this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

So, when I read the title, I thought the OP meant that he had a suggestion and the suggestion was that "we should have less feedback.":p

Glad to see I was wrong. ;)

Tahru likes this.
  10. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

most of these threads were to gauge interest

Tahru likes this.
  11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

All I meant was that I inferred from the title:
    Suggestions: not so much feedback

that your suggestion was: not so much feedback! Like you were asking people to stop giving feedback. Then I read the post and realized you meant something else entirely.

It just amused me. :p

Tahru and gaylike21 like this.
  12. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

lol

Tahru and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.