Suggestions to Boost Performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Nelzie, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I'm on a business trip, sitting on a train for about 6 hours.

I have the work laptop, which is good for my CAD work, but...

Specs:

Intel i7 6500u
    RAM 8GB
    Graphics GeForce 940M

It has the latest drivers for everything, but... I'm getting anywhere from 10 to mayb 17 to 18 FPS. Are there some things that I could do, even if I have to dive into text configuration files?

I don't need everything to be sexy on the laptop, just want to kill some hours on the train without getting a nutso headache.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

+8 gigs of ram

make sure windows is set for full performance mode and the laptop bios is set for full performance mode so it doesn't throttle performance for battery (which you dont need if its plugged in).

The video card is pretty weak but you usually cant fix that in a laptop.

Nelzie and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

go to "fastest" graphics and uncheck everything (except maybe fullscreen) else on that page.

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

IMO, the most important performance improvement for any laptop is to make sure it's getting enough cooling. Since they are so compact and don't have room for big cooling fans, heat builds up pretty quickly in them and that in turn slows down and/or destroys whatever hardware you have in there.

So I'd recommend to at least make sure you have a good cooling pad and/or even one of those heat extractors that virtually suck the heat right out of your laptop. Example (not recommending this particular make/model, just showing one to explain what I mean):

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-...1536934531&sr=1-6&keywords=laptop+cooling+fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.