"Summon" horses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DyNaMiX, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Is this going to be like World of Warcraft? Where we have some sort of "horse whistle" in our backpack that makes our horse appear out of no-where when we call for it and vanish in a puff of smoke when we dismount?

Or are we going to have to stable them, call them from the stable and if we are dismounted, they'll follow us around until we mount them again (as seen in Ultima Online)?

With the cash shop are we paying for the mount itself, for access? Can the mounts be killed in combat? Can we lose them if we don't take care of them? If so, I assume we'd be able to simply buy a replacement from the stable since we have already "paid for access" to that particular breed with real-life?

Why can't players earn these exclusive rewards through in-game means once the stretch goal is available to all?

Maeryck likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We should get mounts that are rideable and go to stables. They will start out as a foul and grow up. Not sure of all the details. This is a stretch goal which I believe should make it. :)

Tarsin, Kaisa, Deus_Irae and 3 others like this.
  3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Great, because I was never a fan of the WoW system myself. I like the ability to tame animals and have some "realistic" animal behaviours. ;)

4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Many moons ago on this forum I posted against summonable mounts. I'm all for mounts, just not ones you can summon with a mouse click or keyboard press.

Mounts are great, just not this way.

Fireangel, RelExpo, gtesser and 4 others like this.
  5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Well Summoned mount types and all there fancy regalia are great Cash Cows horses for online shops in other MMO's but they do have large expansive worlds to ride around in.

6. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

But it also eliminates the fun of acquiring these items/mounts in-game. You buy them out of the game and they just appear inside it.. :/

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

From what I understand since many of us asked for it mounts will be persistent

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, I don't really see why anyone would think having a mount "just appear" would be a good idea. Stables should be where players get mounts from. I would also be in favor of allowing players the ability to "tie up" their mounts somewhere. But having them just magic themselves back and forth in the game for only the sake of making things more convenient technically seems like a poor solution to me. We can do better.

majoria70, gtesser, Hazard and 3 others like this.
  9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Fun & enjoyment doesn't make money.

10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

The mindset of a WoW player quoted here ^

See, there are people with a different mindset. People who'd pay to go to the stable and get their hores from there.

gtesser and Senash Kasigal like this.
  11. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I have never played WOW. RG is a WOW player and also said in a video interview he thinks its one of the best MMO's ever made.
    I am a UO player so I would expect a horse & pack animals to follow me around until I stable them. Maybe RG was right when he said most of todays game designers suck if they can't do what was achieved in UO in 1997.

12. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Are you serious? We have multi-billion industries that say otherwise... or am I missing the sarcasm?

13. Maeryck

Maeryck Avatar

I fear it will be pretty close to the WoW-method (maybe closer to the way Red Dead Redemption handled horses). They said the horses would not go *poof*, but would have a mounting/dismounting animation.
    I have seen no mention of stabled mounts from the devs (no mention that horses have to be stabled, but no specific mention that horses don't have to be stabled either) the only stables I saw are in the housing stretch goal.

With the cash shop you buy a non-combat pet, just like all the other pets we've seen so far.
    If the stretch goal is made, they will be rideable. The "start off as a foal and then grow up" could easily mean "you start with a big horse instead of a little horse when the goal is met"; I doubt you would actually have to raise them.

As it is described now, I'm not a fan of the stretch goal.
    I understand that mounts the way I want them would not be viable for episode 1, but I'd rather have no mounts now and wait for proper mounts in a later episode than have these summoned mounts as a "placeholder".
    I fear that if we get these summoned mounts now, they will remain those summoned mounts for the rest of the game's lifespan.

14. monxter

monxter Avatar

I'm wondering about tamers' role in this. I suppose they won't be trading horses then.. or will they?

15. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Hexes don't seem that big yet to need a horse maybe the city but even then its pushing it.
    Now if it was an open world OK please lets have them.

16. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Also in Ultima Online we have these summoned mounts. They are handed out mostly as veteran rewards and wait as a statue in your backpack for your double click.
    So you have the free choice to select, if you prefer a tamed mount, which can die and if bonded reanimated, a 16th anniversary steed, which initially came as a figure but translates to a real mount on double click or this Ethereal mount, which is mounting you on double click from your backpack.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

17. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

These ideas contradicted the original gameplay and were added after the original designers had been driven away from their game. The animal "bonding" was as horrible an idea as "item insurance".

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  18. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

TBH - I liked both ideas.
    Why should I loose my loved, well trained pet to a lag attack or a client/server crash?
    Why not have the convenience of a mount, which you can summon when you need it?
    Some may like it that hardcore, I am not one of those, I must admit ...
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Maxe likes this.
  19. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

But that's the point, we're being led to believe this is the Ultimate RPG. With references to past games which did not possess these nonsensical mechanics.

By the way, you shouldn't lose your pet to a lag or server crash. That's unfortunate but also irrelevant as it's crossed into the metagame. But the game shouldn't be balanced around metagame consequence or factors like that. It should be balanced around in-game consequences.

How do you justify a mount that "just appears". It is ludicrous. I wouldn't even call it hardcore. Hardcore would be making you train your mount for months and years (as you would in real life). Asking that a horse simply behave in a believable way, is not hardcore. That's a basic, fundamental request...

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  20. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I would only consider to pledge if more details or a complete system will be worked out and written down on the stretch goal shop page. The current infos given on the shop page may not attract enough backers including me. Oh and I dont like horses popping out of my bag. I definetely would prefer more reality (stable, feed, mood, die etc.) when it comes to mounts AND pets in general.

mikeaw1101, Espada, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.