Summons and their ability to cast spells from their School of magic they are in ????

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Weins201, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I like being a Ranger, I have pets I use and Summons (they are just like pets, but sometimes better)

Watch not once do you see the Flower get "Slowed"??

Anyhow I know the Water tree has a Water Elemental, and the Ice Elemental. The Water Ele, has been known to heal myself and is very useful for just that extra heal every so often. The Ice Ele does not appear to use ANY of the Water Spells on the target it is fighting against. You can see an "Ice" attack but not on time do you see a hit from any of the water spells, which could "slow" the target?

Also it appears they do Physical damage, when they should do Ice Damage?

All summons should use the spells from the specific tree in correlation with their level they are cast at.

For the Ice Ele I would understand that they not cast healing spells and leave that with just the Water Ele since this tree has 2 summons in it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Good points, @Weins201 , good points all !!!!
    ;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The Ice Ele should tank and slow targets, disturb casters and archers because he gets close , that would be very nice.

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

Even the fire elemental doesn't have the burning DOT all bandit & elven mages cast. They're all weirdly lacking in the elemental attacks they're supposed to have.

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Umm, Weins, that target is immune to any movement effects since it is already stationary. There is no issue with the elemental pet... it is the mob.

Go and cast one of those spells yourself and see if the creature gets slowed.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Uh sure the whole oint is the summons does NOT cast any of the spells in its tree - the specific target is irrelevant - If I fight a spider, undead, kobold . . . . with ANY summons they do NOT cast spells they just hit.

Ty for ? ?

7. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Summons have been basically non-functional for over a year now. There have been ramblings, and "attempts" to fix them over time, and not a single one of those efforts has yielded a significant result and made these abilities, some of which are the last skill in their respective trees, relevant. I'm one of the not-a-small-amount of folks that enjoy summoner builds and find the game basically incapable of supporting this play style at the moment without -severely- hampering my ability to engage in combat effectively past the *very* early game.

Sadly, at this point, it seems they're either incapable of fixing these abilities, or simply don't care and have stopped making efforts to fix them. It's completely unacceptable that over the past year, basically zero ground has been made with these abilities. Especially considering that when the game launched taming was, and I'm not exaggerating here, one of the most broken mechanics I've ever seen a video game launch with. Relatively brand new characters were running around with basically permanent-pets that were essentially some of the strongest regular NPC's in the game at that point.

I just don't get it. Summons need to utilize things from their trees and respective elements, that's not just flair and flavor, that's a pretty basic mechanic of summoning elemental minions in fantasy games. They need to work and not be a complete letdown to acquire, especially since most of them are far down the tree and require real time investment to get.

Even flavor, when the time comes, of the elemental doing slightly different things if you used juxtapose to summon it. That would be pretty awesome.

I'm hoping we see it one day. I keep scanning for real progress on summons with every patch note we get. But sadly, those that we have gotten regarding this have been as equally disappointing as the abilities themselves are.

Summons need a lot of work.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  8. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I completely agree with this post summons need to be fixed. I always hear the excuse of balancing issues but the water elemental heal is nice and not over powering. With that in mind I think the other elementals should have a special ability that props about as much as the water elmentals heal or maybe a bit longer. Air elementals should stun, fire elmentals should do dot, ice elemental should slow, earth can earthquake, and Phoenix should blind. These don't even need to do full damage of the skills but it would be nice to have a purpose for these and something to work towards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.