Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sure about 30% speed of Tool Engraving Gold?

Discussion in 'Release 38 Bug Forum' started by Gatsu., Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i've made some test skinning obsidian bears (93% on 5 skull scene) ..
    and seems that with:

standard tool --> i've to wait 13.42 seconds
    gold engraved --> i've to wait 11.12 seconds

13.42/11.12=1.206835 (20%)

i made misuration using a video... maybe i'm wrong by 200 millisecs.... 400 millisecs..

reduce by 30% a value is done by: 13.32 / 1.3 = 10.24 secs

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Gatsu. - Thank you for reporting. This is a common bug report that I've responded to several times already with regards to gathering time bonus calculations. I'm not sure if it is actually a bug or if it is working as intended.

The issue with these bonuses are the fact that they are a % base bonus on something that already has innate bonuses applied based on your producer level and by your "Swift Gathering - Field Dressing" skill bonus. The "30%" is not a flat reduction in gathering time, it gets multiplied into the formula that already has other adjustments being multiplied into it... meaning that the "30%" bonus will be different for every player.

If you took a brand new avatar and had him skinning an Obsidian Bear corpse right along side you, both using a basic skinning knife... you will have both a higher success chance and a faster skinning time. Lets just say for explanation purposes that the new player would take 20 seconds (not sure what exact number is) and yours took 13.42 seconds. That 6.58 second difference would be due to producer level and swift gathering innates that you have and the new player doesn't.

Now, if those numbers were actual and correct... your speed bonus is already at 20/13.42 = 1.49031 (49%) without even using a tool that adjusts it further. That 30% bonus that the tool gives you will not be as helpful as it would to the new player because he might get a flat 30% bonus (without anything else modifying his rate) and your 30% will get multiplied into your speed rate calculation (not added in). Even if those numbers are off, the principal should still make sense.

I'm not sure of the exact calculation nor the starting "base" rate, but I tested enough previously to know that the % bonus items don't just give a flat deduction from gathering time.

This is why I've been saying that these engravings and even the artisan/prosperity tools should be changed to a flat (xx seconds) reduction instead of a % because they become less and less effective as your other skills increase.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Daxxe Diggler very thank you for the nice explanation :) yep. on future will be better if this % can be changed to seconds bonus or maybe just a generic text like: "Increased skinning speed." :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.