Swimming - Underwater

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Meyaka2, Jan 18, 2015.

?

Should underwater swimming be added?

1. No

10.2%
  2. Yes

89.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

A few of the sewers have that as well. I'm all for swimming underwater. It makes sense that if you can swim on top, why not beneath. As to the whole heavy armor negated by strength argument... that isn't true. Cloth and leather absorb water and would get heavier and harder over time, metal would instantly be major resistance and drag (for lack of natural flexibility above head if for no other reason). But as soon as you start trying to balance realistic physics with swimming, then you need to alter jump mechanics and sprint mechanics and other stuff to take armor weight into effect.

DDO just uses a breath timer (or spell/item to negate) and once breath is out you start dying quickly...

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

...Unless you had the water breathing spell or a water breathing ring, but even then it was much harder to maneuver wearing any kind of armor if I remember correctly. Negative buoyancy is a baaad thing (unless you have an external oxygen supply).

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The ability to swim underwater in full armor is far less "immersion" breaking than finding every pool of water in game to be protected by an impenetrable force field that not even the most powerful magic in the entire magical realm can bypass.

So would you rather minimally break a law of physics (swim in armor) or majorly break (impenetrable water)?

Consider as well, magic could easily address the armor issue underwater. Commonly accepted fiction, magical armor is considered to be no heavier than cloth. Otherwise we would be doing much less running around and movement would be severely hindered even on stable surface ground.

Please add underwater as a feature. No modern MMO should be released without being able to go underwater.

Lord Baldrith, Jonrobin and Budner like this.
  4. Zarad

Zarad Avatar

Never swam underwater in UO or Ultima so I don't really care there are other features I would rather see first like fishing, boats ect if they add it in that's fine but I just don't really care, I don't see myself doing a lot of underwater stuff, maybe if they toss in hot mermaids I may go for a swim. My main concern is IF this game slowly Turns into a WOW clone.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Zarad,

I wouldn't consider UO or Ultima to be state of the art in development. Fine games of course, but certainly not technological achievements after approximately twenty years after release.

Swimming underwater would by no definition make SOTA into a WOW clone. Everquest released in 1999 had the ability to swim underwater and came before WOW.

Sexy mermaids would be the icing on my underwater cake.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Ummm.....we can summon liches........why are we focused on reality?

Lord Baldrith, Tahru and enderandrew like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I want swimming under water, but that means they have to design scenes with that in mind and put worthwhile things under water.

8. stile

stile Avatar

+1

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  9. Jonrobin

Jonrobin Avatar

I voted for underwater swimming. Weapons might be daggers, harpoon guns. I remember I believe it was in EQ that rangers and some other classes had a breathing under water spell. You had to watch your group on the ui in order to renew the spell on anyone who was running out. Besides swimming out to an island, I'd like to see a place (or places) where you have to dive under water a short distance, then pop up inside a cave for a quest. just my opinion.

jr

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  10. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

No underwater quests please! Swimming as means of transportation only! Two thumbs down, boo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.