Sword or Orc Slaying You say?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Pendragon, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    While reading the Warcry article, I had a "Wouldn't it be cool" thought, If weapons and armor used for evil deeds also gain a title, reputation, and/or curse? Vendors would refuse to buy them, guards would be hostile to the wearers of them, and certain players would strive to aquire them. The possibilities are vast with the benefits of these type items.

I haven't put a lot of thought in the specifics of sucha system, hence the short post! :p Just thought it would be a fun and original addition to the game.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how evil characters would acquire these infamous weapons and armor unless they happened to stumble upon their owner (or owner's body) o_O Besides, if guards were hostile to characters bearing them, it would make game play rather difficult (i.e., being cut off from population centers).

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Maybe have a thief sneek them into your house! but then your letting the thief into your house, quite the conundrum lol.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Indeed! You never know what might turn up missing afterwards ;) I'm sure evil characters could find a way around this...

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

6. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

Well if i understood how the loot creation system worked, things player created would end up in the loot cycle once abandoned or sold off. There could be a vendor or gypsy camp to unload this stuff. Since we are not sure how looting is going to end up with regards to pvp? Like i said i didn't think to much about it to hash out a solid plan of action! ;)

As for hostile guards. Sorry i should have elaborated hostile as in confrontational, not attack on sight. Although that would be a way to punish evil do'ers. (i don't support this tho)

Also players equipment could/would turn into these items if they committed vile acts.

Baron Avorin last person i want near my home is a thief! (I earned alot of bad ju-ju in UO with mine, karma is a mother)

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

That could work, since normal vendors wouldn't carry these items. (Hey, fences exist in the real world to service bad guys.) Same thing with the guards. (Maybe they could be bribed as well.) Thank you for clarifying. Welcome one and all to the seedy side of New Britannia...

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

if i were to find one of those weapons why couldn't I sell them on my vendor??? My vendor better sell what I want him to sell or he's fired.

In other words we should be able to sell anything we find on our vendors.

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

That's true, but I think he was referring to other vendors. Not every character will choose to have a vendor of their own...

10. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

Agreed, also if my vendor refuses my command to sell something... I'd give him ponytails, make him wear a dress, and name him Nancy! (please allow us customization of our vendors!) Muahahaha!

11. smack

smack Avatar

Definitely like this idea. I believe there are a few other threads that talk about this and I had a similar one regarding virtue-imbued weapons/gear.

I think some NPC vendors should react to these and might not buy/sell them, while others might deal in these exclusively. It would be great to even see a black market emerge to deal with cursed weapons for example.

This would also play well into weapon identification skills. If you can't do it or pay an NPC or another player to identify it, then you risk what happens to you when you find that cool weapon while exploring.

I would go so far as to say weapons should not be so obviously called out like "UNKNOWN - NEED IDENTIFY" in their title or description. Every item should have a generic name or maker's mark, etc. You simply reveal more about it if you get it identified.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

in addition to your Unknow-Need-Identify, maybe there could be pieces of weapons, broken during battle, that could be found and that would bring some community effort to exchange, sell the pieces to people who want to put the weopon back together, and maybe the only one that could put it back together would be a high skilled smith? Then Identified by a maybe a mage, or some sort of arms lor skill?

13. smack

smack Avatar

Ahh, very interesting. Weapon pieces that need to be forged back together and identified. This sounds like an awesome quest or two or dozen they can put in the game!

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

as long as its not like the decoder ring in "a christmas story" where he waits for clues and ends up with a message saying drink more ovaltine lol.

15. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, maybe for one of the quests it'll be like that :)

16. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

These ideas are golden. Plus props for "The drink more Ovaltine" made me laugh at work!

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

does anybody know if this item will get some kind of bonus fighting Orcs or whatever after it gets this title? This might make a new type of way to make expensive weapons. Take weapons out to fight against dragons. It won't be easy to kill 100 dragons with a two handed sword but after it's done that item would be worth more if it has a bonus against dragons.

What if it kills 100 different reptiles? could it be called reptile slayer and have a bonus against all reptiles? or is that too broad?

18. Gabriel Nightshadow

Interesting idea, although I'm not sure how they would track that and set "to hit" bonuses... I would think if they did offer a bonus, it would definitely need to rather specific, like "+1 vs. lizardmen", instead of all reptiles, which would considered too much of an advantage...

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What if you then kill 100 monkeys does it stop being a lizardmen slayer and then become a monkey slayer? Or will it have both. It should probably stay one or the other. Also if it's a silver item I think it would be good at killing undead. Can silver items be good against undead and lizards?

20. Gabriel Nightshadow

I don't think it should change once it receives a title for one creature type, otherwise you'll eventually end up with a +10 Slayer Sword (to hit bonus vs. everything!)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.